River roach rigs

Anderoo

You won't be able to see much on Google Earth ATS, it'll look like any other river from the sky. I'll get a few pics next weekend. If you want to have a look on Google Earth, start in Oxford and then follow the river up or down ;):D

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't be able to much on Google Earth ATS, it'll look like any other river from the sky. I'll get a few pics next weekend.

Ok no probs. Just though it would be interesting to see the general area etc. Kind of like putting a face to a name lol.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I've found a bit of river with some decent roach, and plan to fish for them as much as possible until the end of the season. I've had 2 afternoon and into dark sessions so far and have been frustrated by loads of bites I can't hit. There are clearly a lot of fish there and they want the bait, so location, bait and baiting are all ok. I just need to sort the rigs out so I can improve on the feeble hooking ratio!

So far I've been using a running small cage feeder and hook length of between 6-18", fishing downstream. I reckon I'm connecting with about 1 bite in 15. Most bites are sharp jabs and very difficult to hit.

I have a few ideas of things to try, but if you have any ideas I'd like to hear them!

Your hook size and bait are not matched, you have too much slack line, you need to be more in contact with your hook and bait, Loose the cage. Possibly you rod is too slow on the strike and not taking up the line fast enough. Or you are getting old and slow...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Your hook size and bait are not matched, you have too much slack line, you need to be more in contact with your hook and bait, Loose the cage. Possibly you rod is too slow on the strike and not taking up the line fast enough. Or you are getting old and slow...hehehe

and what do you know about roach?

are you are match fisher?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

and what do you know about roach?

are you are match fisher?

Where abouts are you from/fish Azrael?

On BTW believe you me Watatoad has certainly caught some very good roach.Oh and for any other doubters I can assure you there are a couple of other members on here who have seen the pictures of them!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Anderoo,

As you know, I have been thinking about this too, which has been a nice diversion from the normal winter quarry.

I may see if I can lay on with a float so it sits right near the crease - may pop the 13ft float rod in next time?

Or I may just ask one of the Barn Owls for some ideas......... :D

Chris.

Edited by goosequill

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Anderoo,

As you know, I have been thinking about this too, which has been a nice diversion from the normal winter quarry.

I may see if I can lay on with a float so it sits right near the crease - may pop the 13ft float rod in next time?

Or I may just ask one of the Barn Owls for some ideas......... :D

Chris.

Just a sugestion but if your still having problems hitting bites then if in range a pole might be worth trying.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just a sugestion but if your still having problems hitting bites then if in range a pole might be worth trying.

A pole is a dandy idea Budgie and would be interesting to try (Andrew?).

Unfortunately I don't own one, bar a 3m whip which would be hopeless and anyway I use it to turn the power outlet on and off behind my old fashioned tv that takes up one third of my lounge. :D

Chris

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Oh and for any other doubters I can assure you there are a couple of other members on here who have seen the pictures of them!

A few AN'ers having humble pie for dinner tomorrow then Budgie? :D

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It's a good idea Budgie, on the deep steady straight we fished at the weekend I reckon that would work well. My only problem is I'd need to fish my old pole at full length which is a frustrating and tiring affair! But I suppose I don't need it to switch channels on the TV!

The quivertip tactics are bearing plump silver fruit now though and I'm keen to keep practicing. Plus as old Mr Roach says, it's a pleasure to sit back with a cup of hot tea keeping one eye on the tip and the other on the barn owls quartering the meadows :)

I've found the autumn episode of A Passion for Angling on youtube now and am about to torture myself by watching Bob James fill his net with 2lbers :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music