Braid bargains?

AddictedToScopex

Chav,

The original question by Addicted was re: "spinning reels". Next was the center pin discussion. I dropped out of the discussion for center pins. Then Nicepix changed the subject in post 28 to "baitcasters". Confusing, isn't it.

For multipliers/baitcasters I believe we all agree 3 strand oval braid can "dig in". Has anyone had any experience with the newer 8 strand "round" braids"?

I wish I could be more helpful. I think most "digging in" with baitcasters occurs on the backlash. That is a question....?

Phone

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chav,

The original question by Addicted was re: "spinning reels". Next was the center pin discussion. I dropped out of the discussion for center pins. Then Nicepix changed the subject in post 28 to "baitcasters". Confusing, isn't it.

For multipliers/baitcasters I believe we all agree 3 strand oval braid can "dig in". Has anyone had any experience with the newer 8 strand "round" braids"?

I wish I could be more helpful. I think most "digging in" with baitcasters occurs on the backlash. That is a question....?

Phone

On casting your bound to get line bedding in if there's room to do so (loosley loaded line). I reckon if you load braid/line onto the reel under pressure you'll get less line dig when casting or playing a fish.

On casting your bound to get line bedding in if there's room to do so (loosley loaded line). I reckon if you load braid/line onto the reel under pressure you'll get less line dig when casting or playing a fish.

Agreed. I like to wind it on nice and tight for this reason. I put a little backing on with mono just to help it grip the spool and then wind on making sure it sits well. Once you have cast a few times and it has settled onto the spool properly it shouldnt bed in at all. (I should note that I am talking about a fixed spool reel for spinning)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Chav,

Phone

Phone,

I've not yet tried braid on trotting reels as I believed that it would bed in and cause the line to stick. On a trotting reel I only have around 50 yards of line on, and as Chavender points out, a multiplier or baitcaster has much more line on and therfore in his opinion is more likely to suffer from digging in.

That said, a multiplier like a fixed spool has a level wind mechanism that should reduce line digging in. A centrepin has no such aid to line lay and I find that in practice the line actually bunches up on retrieve thus creating the conditions that could allow the line to dig in especially when under load, such as when playing a fish.

So, for me the case for braid on a trotting reel, where the pull of a small float should be enough to pull line smoothly off the reel, and when free spinning during the cast of light float line should flow smoothly off the reel, is not yet made. I have other centrepin reels with braid on them that I use for ledgering or margin fishing. I intend to try one next time I'm trotting to discover whether my aversion to braid in this type of fishing is misplaced.

Regards, Clive

well trotting and lure fishing have simularities where line is concerned (i've used a baitcaster for trotting with ,before now ,you just keep the release button/lever thingy pressed so line releases freely) ,both require continual casting and retrieval and the opertunity for catching a hard fighting fish that will increase the torsional pressure on the line .it doesn't matter what reel your using even fixed spooled reels can suffer digging in problem ,line if given the opertunity will bed/dig in and because of shape/profile and diametre some lines are more prone than others because of less surface area bedding/digging in is more prone with lighter thinner lines) .but the bigest cause is line wound onto the spool not tightly enough ,something you cant always do whilst in the process of fishing with unloaded line (no fish on the end ,or suficiant weight attached) being retrieved .

unless someone invented a attachment to go on the rod ,you flick into place when retrieving line too ad tension whilst winding back in .Other than casting out and letting the flow take your float & line out beyond where the bedding in occours then jamming the but of the rod into your side ,pinning it there with your elbow and sliding your rod holding hand up the rod past the real seat and forcing the line to run between your pinched index finger & thumb (and with centrepins, twisting it side to side to guide the line whilst winding in for a even line lay) to reload the line under some pressure back onto the spool (what can i say its not pretty ,but it works for me) ready to re-cast .or if theres room leave the terminal tackle laid out on the grass/bank and walk backwards to release your line untill its past the point of bedding in the rewound it back on under tension as you walk bact towards the hookend .

mostly for others looking in ,what you have to remember is bedding/digging in will and does happen like tangles / birds nests ,all you can really do is accept it and minimise the chances of it happening too you .and sort it out.

never fish lighter a line than you really need to

always load line onto a reel under some tension

if bedding in occours ,release line and reload it

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I tell you what the 50lb cheap ebay Chinese braid makes fantastic fly line backing, way better that the the branded products.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I tell you what the 50lb cheap ebay Chinese braid makes fantastic fly line backing, way better that the the branded products.

its dyneema just like branded stuff and probably made at the same factory ,my only concern with braids in general is line noise going through rod rings when trotting /continually casting ,the cheaper stuff from china is just as good as standard PowerPro ,i'd use it for ledgering etc.so why not .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well my braid arrived today after 14 days and I have to say I am very impressed. It looks very good and has a nice low diameter. I can definetly say that I will be buying it again and would recommend it on first impressions.

Some pics

2lcehw.jpg

2r7xaar.jpg

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Round braids are far superior to flat and oval profiles.

Despite being a great lover of Spiderwire the new "Stealth" version with the coating is horrible! Makes it wiry and no where near as well behaved as original.My vote would now have to be for Power Pro.

A lot of the "cheaper" braids are simply un branded well known ones from the same factory that makes them for the "known" brands........I'm not a textile student but used to be involved with two companies who market them and had dealings with another who imported them!

Re braid for trotting,well if your fishing a top and bottom float then you cant beat a floating braid.

Re ATS's braid dont you guys remember the "fake" Power Pro scandel of a few years back? (If you dont ATS dont worry what youve brought is fine!)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!