Field Boots

Brian Carragher

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the Prologic boot and the TFGear boots.

Prologic leaked like a sieve! In fact took them back for a replacement pair and they were just as bad!

TFGear boots I have now are superb! Great quality build, superb waterproofing and very warm and comfortable! I use them for beating on a couple of pheasant shoots and they keep my feet bone dry even if I wade through rivers and fight through beet tops all day! Rain or snow the lot!

Also have the TFGear trainers and they have been the most comfortable trainers I've ever owned, great waterproofing too!

I never expected the TFGear boots to be as good as they are but I honestly can't fault them.

However if you have the money and the time for research then check out Cabelas and import some from stateside! You will get far superior equipment, but you risk a bit with sizes etc so be sure first.

Personally I'd reccommend the TFGear boots to friends and family any day!

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fishing-b...ts/40/yes/37810

These are my boots, and as I've said I've hammered them real hard through rough terrain on days of shooting and fishing, through woodland, thick mud, foot deep rivers, brambles, beet tops and countless fields. Never let me down yet.

One thing I would suggest is you couple up your boots with good socks! I have a pair of decent quality hiking socks but i also use a pair of sealskins as well. Well worth the money and def 100% waterproof, so even if your chosen boots does let you down your feet will still be snug and warm!

Edited by kirisute

Another vote for Cabelas.

I have some cabelas neoprene chesties which weren't expensive and I have used them for 6 years without a leak.

Well worth the money.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Brian,

You suggest you are looking for two pair. Do you have an upper limit or range for how much you will spend? Two pair could be an OUCH! That will influance my "single choice" greatly. No sense suggesting LL Bean or some such if they are out of the question.

Also, do they need to service both summer and winter?

Mostly angling?

Same boot for the both of you? How "grown-up" is the lad? (I mean will he need a new pair next year because of size).

Phone

Phone

Looking to buy 2 pair, one at size 9 for me and one at size 12 for my lad (aged 16) think hes stopped growing at 6ft 4" or I'm in trouble when it comes to buying him a new bed, some very good products mentioned so far but the only link I can't open is your outdoor link as the works laptop has a strict content lock on it that stops me

Derri boots have been mentioned to me but I'm a bit dubious about the stiffness/thickness of the sole being an issue on long walks

Funny how the one boot, the TFG , which I initially fancied but was put off by a bad review comes out regulary by anglers who use them, a few comments on a local forum to me have also reccomended the TFG boot as being very good

I've got the welly type boot which I use with insulated socks and get real good grip and traction but they're not really a winter option when theres snow and ice and scummy slippy banks to contend with as cold muddy crap stuck to a welly type soon freezes on the boot and gives you cols feet and toes. Ankle nip and rubbing is a bit of a problem on long hikes to the bank and some of mine are 3/4 mile walks along the bank as access is difficult on some of the stretchs I fish so I would prefer a tight ankle fit if possible

I think that one thing to note is that when you do a search you are more likely to come across bad reviews as people dont bother to make a review unless they have been p****d off by something and want their opinion heard whether it is correct or not. They may have just received a defective pair and made a snap judgement against the company rather than asking for a replacement. Conversely if you ask for advice you generally hear from the people who like them and want to recommend them to you.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Brian,

Ok, here's my pick.

Bogs Copperhead Snakeboots are as good as any slip-on slip-off as I've ever owned. Good to better than good in the field (slip-ons are never great) - but - they have a rear zipper provides a snug fit and allows for easy on-off. Old gits like easy on easy off. (Mine are camo but I think it is just a manufacturers flaw - maybe they are available in green or something)

Of course you can google LL Bean. No clue as to model and such but I've never been let down by their boots. (They're 100 yr old this yr and a couple pair of my boots are nearly the same ha ha).

Two that would be "fun" to have or at least look at are Crispi from Italian shoe maker. OUTRAGEOUS prices! (Saw them at the Fishing Expo).

My grandson just returned from Afghanistan. He has some really "trick" boots from Kayland Hunter USA. I wouldn't mind having a pair myself. I bet your son would "like" them best. Ben, my grandson, says he beat them to death for a year or more and they stll look really great. They are Special Forces and Ranger issue boots in Afghanistan. I'm sure they are Ben's recommendation. I don't even know if they are available to the public but I bet they are??

Phone

Simple answer Muck Boots!! there is nothing to touch them, not cheap but worth every penny and will last for years

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan