Why tie hooks direct

leedsunited

leedsunited:

What can you tie hooklengths with , can it be anything

Can you tie it with ordinary mono line or is there special hooklength material

You can use normal mono, but I prefer to use hi-tec line which is thinner than normal line of the same strength. It is slightly more expensive, but because you are only using it for hooklengths you will not be using loads of it (some anglers use it for the mainline as well).

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing leeds, I find pre-tied hooklengths too long for my preferences. I sometimes go as short as 4-6 inches whilst some of the pre-tied ones are well over 12 inches in length (some I have are nearly 2 feet!). Sometimes you will want to put some shot near the hook, but I don't like putting any shot on the hooklength at all. I don't want to risk a fish swimming around with anything that could get snagged up if the hooklength breaks above the shot.

Using one of the hooktyers (either the Matchman [black] or the red one [Drennan?]) will mean the line is tied to the shaft of the hook instead of the eye, and if Rockling is right (and I have no reason to doubt him), presentation will be improved. In fact, I find the tyer so quick and easy to use that I tie all my hooks with it, eyed as well as spade-end.

Finally (for now )... When I tie my hooklengths I put each into a small re-sealable plastic bag with a piece of paper that only just fits inside. On one side I write down the size of hook; whether it is barbed, barbless or has the barb pinched down; the size of the hooklength; the strength and type of line and whether it is hair-rigged or not. Believe me it makes selecting the right one far easier when you are on the bank :)

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

leedsunited:

Is it a good idea to choose a fluarocarbon hooklength in conjunction with a mono mainline ?

Does a hook tyer tie eyed as well as spade end hooks ?

Thank you     :D  

No reason why you can't use flurocarbon onto mono.

As I said in my previous reply, I use the tyer for both eyed and spade end :)

[ 14. February 2005, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

• 6 years later...

On most occassions when float fishing for tench or trotting for barbel etc I fish my 6lb mainline straight through to the hook. I can say in all honesty I've never been snapped by a fish or left a hook in a fish using this method (I have no doubt that if i'd been using lighter bottoms I would have left lots of fish carrying hooks and line). When I've been snagged on a branch etc and had to pull for a break either the hook has straightened or the line has broke at the hook or where a shot is pinched on. Nowadays I virtually always use spade end hooks (the presentation is so much better than an eyed hook) and more often than not the hooks I use are Kamasan animals or drennan super spades.

i used to match fish all over the country,and allways used pre_tied,of a freind who also did them for other anglers,at what any dia and hoohsize and lenght you needed he also did flies for me,but having stopped due to a eye op.when in a match you want the same hoolength,its just take fom a fresh one and away we go .buy them at first while learning to make your own,and try to keep them the same lenth,and kept in order on match day,any lull in fishing change it.i even tye my hooks on,this way with eyed hooks on bigger than match.

So anyone, What's a "snood"?

Phone

A snood is just the length of line between hook and main line, Phone.

It's a term usually used more in sea fishing than freshwater.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John