Azraels Dish of the Day

azrael

whatever is done in my case its long in the past eating road kill ,i use my time more efficiently eating crap than cooking it .a microwave is my friend for anything i stick down my throat except icecream

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was told an easy way to get a pigeon breast out without the hassle. Push firmly on either side of the breastbone until the skin splits, then just 'fillet' them out.

Only bit worth eating imo.

the breast on its own makes a wonderful dish i like to caramalise some shallots and garlic in olive oil

i season the breasts with black peper and salt and quickly seal the meat on a very hot pan so that it is very rare inside then just pour the shallots and oil over and sometimes serve on toast

simple dish but very tasty

how would you cook the breast?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

the breast on its own makes a wonderful dish i like to caramalise some shallots and garlic in olive oil

i season the breasts with black peper and salt and quickly seal the meat on a very hot pan so that it is very rare inside then just pour the shallots and oil over and sometimes serve on toast

simple dish but very tasty

how would you cook the breast?

20 minutes in the micro will cook anything

chesters1 tip

freeze everything then microwave the hell out of it :thumbs:

olive oil ,what are we coming to? use lard as nature intended

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

today we will be making a classic receipe the french onion soup

ingrediants for the soup

2 pound of white onions

1 small red onion

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 oz (50 g) butter

5 cloves garlic to be crushed

5 level teaspoon granulated sugar

1 litre of chicken stock

truffle oil

270 ml of white wine

2 table spoon of armaniac or any best brandy

ingrediants for the croutons

olive oil

5 to 10 cloves garlic to be crushed

some slices of artisan bread if you dont have warbartons while do

8 oz (225 g) Gruyère grated or best cheese

it is best to start with cokking the croutons first as they will have time to cool down before serving with the soup

start by pre-heating the oven at gas mark 4

then you can begin begin by drizzling the olive oil on to a the baking tray

you then add the crushed garlic and then using your hands you start to spread the oil and garlic all over the baking sheet its a bit yucky and makes your hands stinky but is important

now cut the bread slices in half and rub them on the tray so that they soak up some oil and garlic make sure you do both sides so that they are evenly coated

then put the tray in the oven and bake turning occasionaly once they are crispy take out of oven and allow to cool

your croutons are now finished

next to make the soup

place a saucepan on a high heat and melt the butter and oil together mixing all the time

when it is very hot and melted add the sugar, chopped white onions and crushed garlic and keep turning them from time to time until the edges of the onions have turned a rich dark colour and this will take about 10 minutes.

next reduce the heat to its lowest setting and leave the onions to carry on slowly cooking for about 20 minutes, by which time the base of the pan will be covered with a rich caramelised yummy and sticky mess

next you should pour in the stock and white wine season with salt and peppar ensure the mixture is well stired and scrape the caramelised onion from the base and sides on the pan as this has all the best taste in it

once the liquid has reached the simmering point turn down heat and let it simmer away for a further hour and its ready to serve

ladel in to bowls and and stire in a little armaniac

next float a large crouton on the soup and add some sliced red onion on top of it you can also crush some extra garlic at this point to give extra bite

next drizzle a little truffle oil on it and grate some cheese over the crouton and quickly put under the grill for 3 minutes until the cheese starts to melt

serve with a slice of your best artisan breadand eat quickly while the cheese is still bubbling away

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

20 minutes in the micro will cook anything

chesters1 tip

freeze everything then microwave the hell out of it :thumbs:

olive oil ,what are we coming to? use lard as nature intended

i am not thinking that pigeon breast would look very nice out of a microwave

it may taste fine to eat but i think it would not look very appetizing

please explain what is lard?

Azree

Pig fat.

thats good and can see how that would add to the flavour combination

i will have to try it out

Azree

Re pigeons, in actual fact theres only the breast and legs worth considering. Just removing the breasts means no plucking (yes I know there the easiest bird to pluck).

My thoughts were perhaps guided by the fact I used to shoot a lot pigeons so any time saving in preparation was taken.

Rather than make stock the giblets and legs were thrown in a pan boiled, then legs stripped of there meat and then fed to the dogs.

Where I used to shoot there was a large feral pigeon population, surprisingly there was a difference in the flesh the colour and gloss I found unattractive so these to were fed to the dogs.

Re pigeons, in actual fact theres only the breast and legs worth considering. Just removing the breasts means no plucking (yes I know there the easiest bird to pluck).

My thoughts were perhaps guided by the fact I used to shoot a lot pigeons so any time saving in preparation was taken.

Rather than make stock the giblets and legs were thrown in a pan boiled, then legs stripped of there meat and then fed to the dogs.

Where I used to shoot there was a large feral pigeon population, surprisingly there was a difference in the flesh the colour and gloss I found unattractive so these to were fed to the dogs.

I know what you mean. I used to shoot a lot of pigeons and there was no way I would spend the time plucking them. A sharp knife to remove the breast and the rest I am afraid was chucked. When you have fifty or more to do at a time you tend to become wasteful.

Would that I had some now.

Pigeon is a great delicacy here in France and widely shot. You don't tend to see so many flying around.

There were some oven ready pigeon in the supermarket just befor Christmas at 18 euro each. Pheasants were 22 euro each. We had chicken :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Azree

Thanks for some nice recipes; you have taken over the role of the Forum's resident Gourmand.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.