The 3m Farce

Dick Dastardly

It might only be 2 rods at 3.1m but thats breaking the rules

John

Good point John.I didnt really want this to become a multi rod debate its the "3m rule" itself that Im contesting (well I will be soon once a few more have answered!)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing nothing about the details of the alleged offense, I couldn't say whether the guilty/unlucky (delete as applicable) chap was doing anything morally wrong, but on a purely practical basis it's pretty clear that the rights and wrongs of how many rods you choose to use and how far apart they are depend completely on specific circumstances.

On a water where there are several other anglers, where swims are spaced apart and where you might expect a few runs in a day, spacing 4 rods all over the place is obviously both selfish and pointless. On a different water whith plenty of bankside space, few other anglers and where you hoping for a single run, I can't see a problem having 4 rods spaced well out.

But there are loads of caveats of course - you need to use a system of indication that works in those circumstances, you need to be able to get to the rod in enough time, and so on. I have never fished like that (I've never had to) so can't say how easy it is, but for the same reason I can't condemn it as dangerous, because it might not be!

I think the simple fact is we all know (or should do) what the rule is, and we can decide to ignore it if we like. The likelihood of being caught and prosecuted for it must be millions to one. So I see it as one of those rules that has good intentions but can't be applied equally in every situation, so if I was in a situation where I thought ignoring it would be to my benefit and not to the fish's detriment, I would ignore it.

The fact that this chap was apparently well known might have been a contributing factor - it's bound to become public knowledge and so might warn off others from trying it on. Being a nobody and having not had my license checked in over 20 years, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

And 4 rods is verging on fish at any cost.

Roach fishing with a 3lb tc rod and 3oz method feeder is OK though? :whistling:

I think it's a bit silly to condemn things we don't do ourselves, because someone else will just come straight back and pick on something you do that they don't!

There are loads of things I think are fine and do all the time that others think are the crimes of the century!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The "3m rule" applies to ALL anglers using more than one rod regardless of what they are fishing for. Yes it affects Pike anglers/Zander anglers more as spreading rods is both a common and "good" practice for predator anglers so more do it.But is the thinking behind the rule sensible? and more importantly is it applied correctly?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sticking my neck out to get my head chopped off here but am I the only one who hasnt heard of this rule before??? :huh:

I am glad this post was put on here or I never would have known. Maybe I need to go on a course in case I have missed anything else :(

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Andrew, the subject is about pike fishing and a pike fisherman.

Catching a roach whilst fishing for carp with carp gear is certainly acceptable, same as catching a big carp while bream fishing :)

And, horror of horrors, I have caught big Rudd as well :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Its not about pike oe pikers

Its about a silly seldom used but much abused EA rule on rod butts being within 3 meters measuring from the two outside rods

That same rule applies regardless of species targetted and equally applies if only using two rods

Andrew, the subject is about pike fishing and a pike fisherman.

Catching a roach whilst fishing for carp with carp gear is certainly acceptable, same as catching a big carp while bream fishing :)

And, horror of horrors, I have caught big Rudd as well :)

Den

I sleep while fishing, use sight indicators when fishing nymphs, fish for tench when they're at their heaviest, used leadcore, and a hundred and one other things that various people have torn shreds off me for! At the same time I hate to see keepnets used, can't bear overstocking of fish, feel very uneasy about livebaiting, and...well you get the idea!

So in this instance I can't say whether this guy was 'fishing at all costs' by using 4 rods and spacing further than the EA deem acceptable - and I don't think anyone else can either.

I don't know anyone who's been caught doing this, and if I thought I needed to do it to fish effectively and thought I was very unlikely that anyone would care, I would do it with a clear conscience. Thinking about it, I've never done it while piking (that I can remember) but have done it on gravel pits with big, wide swims. With me sitting in the middle of the rods, it really makes no difference how far apart the rod butts are, as I'm the same distance from all of them!

Sticking my neck out to get my head chopped off here but am I the only one who hasnt heard of this rule before??? :huh:

I am glad this post was put on here or I never would have known. Maybe I need to go on a course in case I have missed anything else :(

The club your waiting to join is pretty keen on that along with all other rules and reg's, so brush up on the rules when you get in ;) .

Brian,

I would challenge this statement, "I always have proper control over my rods". How can you say this, are the fish you catch trained?

I agree with Poledark, (dangerous for him) that

BUDGIE,

Now I'm confused. Your statement in post #18 seems to conflict with your earlier statements. Are you now saying they must be "exactly" 3m - and no more? Can they be closer? That's what I thought you were saying in the beginning. They cannot be quite close to one another. I was wrong - huh?

Phone

Edit: As an afterthought - where must the measure take place. Tip? - butt? - elsewhere?

Edited by Phone