Any Idea what this is ?

littlefeathers

Theres a fruit tree at the bottom of our garden and we are struggling to identify it. :confused:

fruit%20tree.jpg

The fruits are small-ish (chestnut-walnut size) all summer they have been bluey purple colour, the same colour as sloes, now they are turning purple plum colour and getting softer in texture, they taste more bitter than sweet and the tree has no thorns. Does anyone have any idea what they are so I can use the fruit and put them in the right recipe. :D:D

Could it be a cross between a sloe and plum (a slump :D ) :confused:

[ 02. September 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: littlefeathers ]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

littlefeathers:

Could it be a cross between a sloe and plum (a slump)

I agree with little onions, they do look like damsons. Could you post a piccie of a leaf? Then I could check more easily.

Sorry to blow your hybrid theory out but the plum, Prunus domestica is a natural hybrid of the sloe Prunus spinosa and the cherry plum Prunus cerasifera.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

littlefeathers:

Theres a fruit tree at the bottom of our garden and we are struggling to identify it.    

If they turn out to be Damsons don't let Onions get her hands on them or you will be eating damson jam instead of drinking WINE. :D

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Bitsbobs, thank you kind sir.

Little onions, I have come to the conclusion I would prefer wine as Alan suggested, if you'd care to make it I will happily drink it :P:P

I never thought of damsons, even thou this plonk bought a jar of damson jam today :D

So if it is damsons - what are my options, I'd love to make some wine but dont have any equipment so it might have to be littleonions jam :P or suggestions welcome.

Leaf picture to follow :)

ajp:

Good job it's not a plum or that pic might have been censored.    :D  

LOL! I was just about to post something along the same lines :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE