Wingham Fish-In Catch Reports 2012

Steve Burke

I even saw a tench roll in Logs then, exactly where Rik had baited up for his eels!

Typical :D I definetly had things feeding in both spots I had spodded as I would see the occasional slick coming up hours after having baited where something was clearly rooting around the bait and releasing a lot of the oils etc. JK saw it too when he popped over for a chat and we were both speculating what it could be. I was getting a few liners too. My guess would be a load of eels but I am sure some tench must have been having a munch too. Its a shame I never managed to get any out as I certainly felt a lot more confident with my baiting than last year. Hopefully if I am lucky enough to come again (although Steve says I am banned :D ) then I will have a change of fortune and finally get that pb tench. As Steve said though it was still enjoyed by all regardless.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly a big thank you to everyone at Wingham for the great weekend. Also thanks to Dales for lending me some banksticks for the weekend.

Right, a little bit about the fishing. It was hard, despie this I felt I let down Steve a bit after he gave me the best Tench swim in the lake and the I didn't even manage one bit from a tench all weekend! I tried all the humps and bars in the swim and also the slt in front of me but I just couldn't find them or get them feeding. Halfway through the weekend I switched Tom targetting perch and eels and managed a new PB perch of 2-10 and a pike so despite how bad it went I ended up quite happy especially as it seems no other perch were caught which was quite surprising.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone that caught and hopefully those that didn't will try again next year. When the fishing is good it's an amazing place to be so hopefully see you all next year if I'm lucky.

Looking forward now to reading everyone else's reports from the weekend :-)

Neil, I know you worked the swim hard. Sometimes you can do all the right things and you don't get lucky.

Congratulations on your PB perch! Was it carrying spawn, normal or empty?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

No hurry Budgie, but any chance of e-mailing me full size pics of the common? I'll then compare it with the other 40lb+ commons.

And congratulations on not one but two cracking fish!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Neil, I know you worked the swim hard. Sometimes you can do all the right things and you don't get lucky.

Congratulations on your PB perch! Was it carrying spawn, normal or empty?

It was just normal from what I remember. I can't figure out how to post a picture from my iPad but I have one I'll get up as soon as I get to my laptop.

No hurry Budgie, but any chance of e-mailing me full size pics of the common? I'll then compare it with the other 40lb+ commons.

And congratulations on not one but two cracking fish!

Just sent full size to the Paperweight address boss.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

First of all I want to thank Steve and Peggy for a warm welcome to my wife and me. I want to thank the bailiffs for a cracking job. It’s the first time I had fished on the carp lake and I hoped the carp would not pester me while my pursuit of Eels. ;) Well it appears that I got through the carp( although I missed a cracker...Phew that was a close call) but apart from 2 ( sorry Steve if you remember I forgot to weigh the 1st one but did the second so it was 2 caught) no more eels where caught.

However I had 7 Jacks so I can only presume iwas jacked out in that area. I moved along a few swims but to no avail. It was great to put some names to faces. Thanks to ‘Si’ for the lend of his pod (I will contact you about its return) and thanks to wingham as it really is quite a magical place although I prefer the course lake.

Well done to ‘dastardly and muttley’ the burgess boys who caught some cracking Eels but I achieved my object of a confirmed and witnessed a 6 oz jack which as a confirmed catch is the smallest pike and a proud moment as the lake record . My only concerns were being opposite the buggy boys where the decibels of snoring as Si will confirm shook the bivvy at points.And what fish by Si...Brilliant.

Thanks all

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

As always, a massive thanks to so many people for making the Wingham Fish In such a pleasure for us to go to.

A huge thanks goes to Terry, Glyn, Sam, Luke and the rest of Team Groombridge for all their help in getting us to and from our swims with mountains of equipment. For getting the place ready for us in the first place (so much hard work goes into this) and for the friendly and helpful way in which they go about doing all this.

Thanks also go to Steve Campbell for the warm welcome early on a Saturday morning with a cup of tea and a bacon or sausage sandwich, a cracking way to start the day in anyone's book. Thanks also to Tony U & Sue for visiting on Sunday and bring a crate of beer with them, went down very well !

Another big thanks goes to Peggy and her soux chef TJ. Peggy's BBQ's are now something of legendary status amongst those of us who have been lucky enough to fish Wingham a couple of times and this year was no exception. Along with her assistant TJ (a Jamie Oliver in the making) she made sure that all of us were fed and watered on a daily basis (no mean feat considering Budgie and myself were there !) and I don't think that anyone went back to their swim hungry.

And finally thanks to Steve for letting me fish Wingham again. Although I only had a couple of eels (despite trying every bait, method, hump, bar, margin in front of me) it's one of those places where catching doesn't really seem to matter too much. It really is a magical place only made better by the invasion of the AN crowd every year. Great to meet faces both old and new and a big congratulations to all who caught PB's, lake records, etc (including Budgie's "nuisance" carp and Dave H's record pike in the carp lake :P ).

Edited by jedibond

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Thanks Steve. It was just a standard asda bag. I dunked it first and then upturned it to empty it and then slipped the eel in. I think an ounce is probably about right for the drops of water left. Still 4lb 13oz is more than enough for me.

I've checked and found that it was bigger than the previous lake record after all (I had in mind it was higher).

However I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to count it as an official lake record, which remains at 4-09. I will though keep it in the Fish-In catch report at 4-13.

But you can certainly be justly proud of it's deliberate capture. Well done indeed!