feeder fishing without baitrunner

fraggle

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

Nice catch! Sometimes my typing runs on and on. In trying to be brief I made an error. I guess I should have said (say), with a baitrunner style reel in response to a 'run', the angler can simply either turn the reel handle or flip the baitrunner lever to engage the reel's clutch and so hook the fish. I'll cop out and say that one of those two is a function of "striking" with a baitrunner style reel. (won't work, will it?)

I'll take another stab at an error and say "baitrunner" is still a registered TM of Shimano? (maybe?) Only Shimanos can be called "baitrunners". (my cheapo baitrunner style Diawas are not baitrunners - they are something else(?))

To some degree I've trapped myself. I'm no expert on rods and reels and I'm not sure if all "baitrunner style" reels disengage with the reel handle. Some brands may require using the lever. That is a question.

On the subject, I have even less faith in feeders than I do in baitrunners. Why are you using a feeder?

Phone

Edited by Phone

I'm with Andy here. A taking fish can have your rod off the rest before you can say "strike", and we all have to take a leak now and again, or net a fish for a companion, or rake in a bag, or mix bait.

You don't mention the style of feeder fishing, Fraggle, but I assume you are referring to a bobbin/indicator set-up rather than a quivertip? No matter anyway: I quite often use a baitrunner/quivertip combo for the same reasons mentioned above - but only engaged when needed.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Cat amongst the pigeons here.

An angler must be in control of his rod and line at all times.

How the heck can an angler be in control of said tackle while fast asleep in his/her bivvy ??

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Bairrunners have several uses:

When carp/specimen fishing where long periods of inactivity can make the mind wander.

When using multi rod set ups.

Night fishing where the angler may fall asleep :rolleyes:

When method feeder fishing as bites can be savage and almost rip the rod into the water.

In certain predator fishing situations where the fish will run with a bait before turning it (not an area of fishing that I am familier with in all truth).

But - they are not needed - you can use the oen bail arm - elastic band method - I used this for years before being given a Shimano Triton 4500.

I dont use them for general ledgering techniques when using one rod as there is no need.

If you need to answer the call of nature or anything - reel in.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Bairrunners have several uses:

When carp/specimen fishing where long periods of inactivity can make the mind wander.

When using multi rod set ups.

Night fishing where the angler may fall asleep :rolleyes:

When method feeder fishing as bites can be savage and almost rip the rod into the water.

In certain predator fishing situations where the fish will run with a bait before turning it (not an area of fishing that I am familier with in all truth).

But - they are not needed - you can use the oen bail arm - elastic band method - I used this for years before being given a Shimano Triton 4500.

I dont use them for general ledgering techniques when using one rod as there is no need.

If you need to answer the call of nature or anything - reel in.

Why bother, when you can simply flick a switch?

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

tried to reply twice to this topic ... where have they gone

Hi fraggle. Until you have made 15 posts, each of yours will have to be approved by a mod before it becomes visible. Weekends we may all be out fishing which slows the process a bit.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

thanks for the replies , i'm just fishing one rod . on the straight lead , cage & swimfeeders ( maybe method feeder occasionally ) . not targeting carp especially but there are carp in the venues i fish . i always keep my hand close to rod anyway , even when float fishing , mainly because my reactions are'nt what they used to be . i was thinking that the fish would quickly feel the resistance and drop the bait, unless i loosened the clutch or trapped line on butt section with elastic band so it could take bait freely . appreciate the tips , thanks again

Hi again Fraggle,

if the fish are dropping the bait before you can hook them maybe try shortening or lengthening the hooklink. Others things to consider are hook to bait size (are they feeling a large hook in a small bait?) Are they becoming pre-occupied with one particular constituent of your feed? Have you tried a single Enterprise Baits floating maggot combined with your hookbait to offset the weight of the hook? Perhaps "at the end of the day" it's only very small fish pecking at the bait and giving the bite indications? The possibilities are endless, it's all down to experimentation and interpretation from your end of the rod. If the fish are simply picking it up, not moving and blowing it out again, you'll possibly never even realise that they were there.

In past years I've experienced this on many occassions and realise how frustrating it is, even free-lining, the fish still has to pick up the baited hook, move 20,30,40 or even 80 yards of line before you get an indication. If the hook isn't in his mouth...you won't catch him!

That's Fishing!

Edited by wunwetfoot
"....you should have been here yesterday!"

For the cost of a baitrunner reel compared to a non baitrunner reel I can't see much reason for not getting one just on the off chance that you have to turn away from your rod for a minute to stop your brolly blowing away or showing your card to a bailiff etc. I never use the baitrunner facility when actually fishing on the tip (watching the tip I mean) as it isnt necessary and has no benefit when tip fishing as you will be wanting to strike quickly rather than having to flick a switch and then strike. If I have to avert my gaze for a few seconds though I will flick it on to save watching my rod disappear into the water while I sort something else out. There is no shame in having a baitrunner. It can be very useful even if you dont use it for fishing with alarms and bobbins. Do you really want to have to reel in every time you have to turn around and sort something else out or pick up a ball of groundbait? A simple flick of the switch and you can reach for the groundbait bowl, roll and ball and lob it in or prepare a small pva bag if you are going to reel in soon and rebait if not using a feeder. The baitrunner has many uses and isnt limited to stopping your rod going in while you are asleep in a bivvy. Almost every reel I own has a baitrunner facility apart from my small match reels and cenrepins for trotting. I should add that I am no carp fisherman :D .

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Cat amongst the pigeons here.

An angler must be in control of his rod and line at all times.

How the heck can an angler be in control of said tackle while fast asleep in his/her bivvy ??

They can't and it should be banned immediately. Along with:

- barbed hooks

- barbless hooks

- braid mainline

- mono mainline

- keepnets

- livebaiting

- boilies

- pellets

- floating baits

- particles

- nuts

- bite alarms

- spodding

- bait boats

- commercials

- syndicates

- multi rod setups

- stalking

- staying in the same swim for days

- publicising captures

- not publicising captures

- wading

- climbing trees

- using boats

- etc...

- etc...

- angling

A baitrunner is just a reel with a mechanism to quickly engage a free spool, which can be very useful in many situations. The same thing can be achieved by just loosening the drag on a normal reel. I use my baitrunners a lot without actually using the baitrunner facility, just because they're good reels. When feeder fishing/other legering with a single rod I wouldn't use a free spool as I'm next to the rod all the time and want to be able to strike quickly.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music