Gun Control

Sportsman

Might as well ban water too, people can drown in that.

Cars have a genuine non violent purpose and reason for existence for the vast majority of owners, I can't say the same about guns.

So what about the approx 464,839 firearms* that are held in the UK as the majority (probably 99.9%)of these will have never been used in a crime don't they have a legitimate non violent purpose for the vast majority of their owners (although that of course depends upon your definition of violence)

*source of figures here

Edited by snakey1

It's a tough thing to balance....did you see the footage of the old guy shooting the gunmen who were robbing the store he was in last week? Basically two young guys with shotguns tried to raid a store ( might have been a diner)...some old dude pulled his sidearm out and defended the entire store from these two thugs.

Right or wrong? You'll argue til your blue in the face and just go round in circles.

My family has shot and fished all our lives...I too have firearm and shotgun certificates....would I defend my family, my partner and my house with weaponary in my possession? Damn straight I would! My lounge wall holds my beloved collection of hand forged katana! I know full well what a person looking to harm me or mine would be in for!

And I make no apologies for that! I believe in the right to protect what is yours.

The issue becomes escalation of such things. I recall the scene in one of Nolans batman movies. Gordon says something to Batman about escalation and says something like : " we arm ourselves with pistols, they buy rifles. We wear bullet proof vests, they buy armour piercing rounds....you wear a mask and suddenly the criminals wear costumes"....

It's something like that anyway...but you get the idea.

If the criminal is surrounded by targets that are armed and dangerous then the criminal will simply become more dangerous.

I don't truly know which way to lean in the discussion....i usually go back to a bit of Chinese pulp philosophy: "you don't stop a rat by reading it poetry....to stop a rat, you simply kill it!"

As a responsible gun owner i don't keep my ammo with my guns, i don't keep the keys for either the ammo or the guns with the ammo or the guns. So if i found myself under attack in the middle of the night i wouldn't be pulling a loaded gun from under the pillow. If i really felt the need to protect myself more, i think keeping a mobile phone to hand would be a better idea than opening the gun cabinet.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

As a responsible gun owner i don't keep my ammo with my guns, i don't keep the keys for either the ammo or the guns with the ammo or the guns. So if i found myself under attack in the middle of the night i wouldn't be pulling a loaded gun from under the pillow. If i really felt the need to protect myself more, i think keeping a mobile phone to hand would be a better idea than opening the gun cabinet.

Yes and much quicker too, the keys are hidden away and like you (most do) keep the weapons and the ammunition for them separately.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I agree with Lutra and Emma, by the time I've dug out the keys, unlocked the cabinet, loaded my revolver with black powder and ball and fitted the percussion caps the burglars will have carried half the house away with them!...ok, the rifle's a bit quicker but not as quick as the mobile 'phone and cricket bat approach...and the blasted longbows are too long to use in my house, the ceilings are too low :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I agree with Lutra and Emma, by the time I've dug out the keys, unlocked the cabinet, loaded my revolver with black powder and ball and fitted the percussion caps the burglars will have carried half the house away with them!...ok, the rifle's a bit quicker but not as quick as the mobile 'phone and cricket bat approach...and the blasted longbows are too long to use in my house, the ceilings are too low :P

Longbow? I have my trusty compound on a hook ready to rock...with broad heads clipped into the quiver ready!

Still I have to say my sword collection is by far quicker and easier to grab hold of.....

lutra, emma, worms; all,

NOT LOADED?!! we call that a 7 lb. rock.

Phone

That's firearms control in the UK for you Phone, ammunition and the guns that they are intended for should be securely locked in separately locked cabinets. A lockable ammo safe within a recommended gun safe is acceptable, or in another gun cabinet as long as the rounds don't fit. For example, I keep my shotguns in one cabinet and my firearms in another. It is perfectly acceptable to keep my firearms ammo in the shotgun safe....but you mustn't tell anyone else where the keys are!

Not loaded also comes down to safe gun handling, only load your gun immediately before you intend to shoot it...I don't fancy keeping my .44 loaded and under the pillow, it's a monster of a thing and weighs over 4lb... B)

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Longbow? I have my trusty compound on a hook ready to rock...with broad heads clipped into the quiver ready!

Still I have to say my sword collection is by far quicker and easier to grab hold of.....

Broadheads? nah mate, I use drop forged square bodkins....in case they're wearing chainmail...or kevlar :P