Gun Control

Sportsman

But it doesn't have a similar rate of civilian gun ownership. Switzerland has 45 guns per 100 residents where the UK has 6.6.

Their rate of gun ownership is 6.8 times higher than that in the UK which is a rather interesting correlation with their rate of gun homicides being 5.75 times higher than ours don't you think?

Again, it doesn't.

Not really. Overall crime rates don't just relate to guns. Social inequality, poverty, the nature of the criminal justice system and many other factors play a significant part.

Of the countries that you've mentioned, Iceland is the anomaly, with high rates of gun ownership but very low crime (especially homicide) rates.

I don't think a 10% variance is going to be significant.

Actually Ken there are an estimated 4,000,000 civilian owned firearms in the UK as opposed to 3,400,000 in switzerland so not taking it as a per capita figure the actual amount of civilian owned weapons is pretty similar if not higher in the UK.

If you want to take the actual number of firearm homicides into account instead of the per capita figures then these may interest you

Switzerland 2013: 18UK 2011: 38

2012: 13 2010: 33

2011: 22 2009: 26

2010: 15 2008: 40

2009: 24 2007: 15

According to the Wikipedia page (admittedly it is wiki) Iceland has a firearms homicide (not death rate I'm not including suicides) rate (based on year 2007) of 0.32 per 100,000 while Switzerlands (based on 2013) was 0.23 per 100,000 so once again Yes ,according to those figures, it does have a lower firearm homicide rate than Iceland

I assume the anomaly your talking about with regards to high firearms ownership but low crime rates is Switzerland not Iceland as there are only approx 90,000 civilian owned firearms in Iceland. We could try Norway then whose civilian firearm ownership rate is 31.3 nearly 5x that of the UK yet the firearms homicide rate (taken from the wiki table) was 0.04 exactly the same as the UK

Canada i will admit is slightly worse with an ownership rate of 30.8 but a firearm homicide rate of 0.51

Equally I could point out Honduras has a ownership rate of 9.9 per 100 not even double the UKs but a firearms homicide rate of 64.8 nearly 20x that of the USA and 1600x that of Norway, Or perhaps Brazil with an ownership rate of 8.6 per 100 and a firearms homicide rate of 18.1

Edited by snakey1

It would be interesting to see the deaths in america based on temperature ,i get pretty cranky when it gets above 25c (20 is just bearable ) so those with a gun and cranky may use it more ?

Found this but perhaps your fingers snap off before the hammer falls

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22288564

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Actually Ken there are an estimated 4,000,000 civilian owned firearms in the UK as opposed to 3,400,000 in switzerland so not taking it as a per capita figure the actual amount of civilian owned weapons is pretty similar if not higher in the UK.

If you want to take the actual number of firearm homicides into account instead of the per capita figures then these may interest you

Switzerland 2013: 18UK 2011: 38

2012: 13 2010: 33

2011: 22 2009: 26

2010: 15 2008: 40

2009: 24 2007: 15

According to the Wikipedia page (admittedly it is wiki) Iceland has a firearms homicide (not death rate I'm not including suicides) rate (based on year 2007) of 0.32 per 100,000 while Switzerlands (based on 2013) was 0.23 per 100,000 so once again Yes ,according to those figures, it does have a lower firearm homicide rate than Iceland

I assume the anomaly your talking about with regards to high firearms ownership but low crime rates is Switzerland not Iceland as there are only approx 90,000 civilian owned firearms in Iceland. We could try Norway then whose civilian firearm ownership rate is 31.3 nearly 5x that of the UK yet the firearms homicide rate (taken from the wiki table) was 0.04 exactly the same as the UK

Canada i will admit is slightly worse with an ownership rate of 30.8 but a firearm homicide rate of 0.51

Equally I could point out Honduras has a ownership rate of 9.9 per 100 not even double the UKs but a firearms homicide rate of 64.8 nearly 20x that of the USA and 1600x that of Norway, Or perhaps Brazil with an ownership rate of 8.6 per 100 and a firearms homicide rate of 18.1

Yes but there's no getting away from the fact that there are only 8m people in Switzerland.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

And most of them are making watches and awful chocolate triangle things

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If you want to take the actual number of firearm homicides into account instead of the per capita figures ...

Why on earth would you want to do that? Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

All,

Number One statistic. If you are going to a gun fight - you better have a gun.

Phone

and insurance

In an ideal world all guns should be banned but its not an ideal world and all that can be done is to curbe it as much as we can.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

In an ideal world all guns should be banned but its not an ideal world and all that can be done is to curbe it as much as we can.

In whose ideal world would that be ? because it wouldn't be mine