Killing fish

Sportsman

Do fish feel pain? I really don't know, it depends on which study or report you read.

I think that they can potentially feel pain but I can't prove it, one way or the other.

Will the knowledge that they might feel pain stop me fishing? No, I'm selfish and I enjoy fishing.

Now I know that chickens feel pain but I will still eat them, I enjoy eating chicken.

This goes for all of the other animals I eat (and sometimes kill)

This includes seafish that have not been killed humanely although I would rather eat fish that I have caught and killed myself.

Can I also just say that this thread started, not with the question "should we kill fish" but with the question "should you decide to kill fish do you carry a priest to do it effectively?"

Personally I hate to watch anglers trying to kill a fish by kicking it around the bank or tapping it repeatedly on the head with a pair of forceps but that's just me.

I also hate to see fish (often seafish such as mackerel) flapping and gasping in a pile behind the angler (or in the bait box come to that) but that's just me again.

So I carry a priest. It makes ME feel better.

I don't carry Clinik , savlon or Bonjela to put on the fishes lips.

I wholeheartedly agree/concur with all of the above.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do any of the people who advocate a quick death for fish believe they are able to feel pain?

If not, why bother with a quick death?

If so, what the hell are you doing to them in the first place?

:o

I think that they may feel pain, I would caution againt attributing fishy feeling of pain and fear being like human ones. They appear to not enjoy being caught, the try to swim away, and even jump clear of the water shaking their heads (well some species do). That I can live with, they are fish I am human, so that the order of things. They may feel pain and fear (the latter hasn't been talked about yet). I have enough doubts to think that I should kill any that are to be killed quickly, that where the sharp blow on the head from a priest comes in.

I have hunted and shot a lot of other creatures too,significantly warm blooded mammals and birds. I'm quite sure that rabbits feel pain and or fear by the amount or wriggling and screaming they do when clamped in a dogs jaws, and a mortally wounded hare sounds to some like a human baby crying. I still continued to work my dogs and shoot, and would do now were I fit enough.

What 'the hell' I am doing is what people have done well...since they have been around, that is enjoying hunting (inc fishing) to such an extent that I will continue to do it regardless. No excuses, but I won't protract a death longer than need be. Anglers need priests (not thr religious kind) All those 'Heath Robinson' methods, rocks, bank sticks, or any othe random blunt objects found lying around (if your lucky) are seldom subtle or effective.

I did go fishin' Eldest grandson who is 10 tomorrow on a real 'high' when I dropped him off, He wanted to catch eels, so I took him, he got 5 the largest over 4lbs and a bonus bream of 6 and a half just before it became fully dark. None of these fish were badly hooked, indeed part of the session was to demonstrate how to use both the standard disgorger and forceps, we didn't have to shove casualties back into the depths to die out of sight.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

All,

Fish don't feel pain. (or pleasure)

That is to say pain is troublesome to define.

Pain is the most prominent member of a class of sensations known as bodily sensations, which includes itches, tickles, tingles, orgasms, etc.

Unless you think fish "get off" you wouldn't think they feel pain. Fish do have an instinct to survive but it is not "painful" - it just is.

Phone

All,

Fish don't feel pain. (or pleasure)

That is to say pain is troublesome to define.

Pain is the most prominent member of a class of sensations known as bodily sensations, which includes itches, tickles, tingles, orgasms, etc.

Unless you think fish "get off" you wouldn't think they feel pain. Fish do have an instinct to survive but it is not "painful" - it just is.

Phone

Do you mean

"fish don't feel pain"

or

"I don't think fish feel pain"

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Anglers need priests (not thr religious kind) All those 'Heath Robinson' methods, rocks, bank sticks, or any othe random blunt objects found lying around (if your lucky) are seldom subtle or effective.

Knife is quicker, targetted, straight into the brain and it's second use is to clean the fish of the red stuff.

Own up how many of you have wolloped a fish with a priest, then give it another and another and another just to make sure it's dead and to make sure that you got it in the right place the first time, or did you hit it hard enough, the first, second or third?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Knife is quicker, targetted, straight into the brain and it's second use is to clean the fish of the red stuff.

Own up how many of you have wolloped a fish with a priest, then give it another and another and another just to make sure it's dead and to make sure that you got it in the right place the first time, or did you hit it hard enough, the first, second or third?

I witnessed one lad whack a cod over the head at least 4 times , the fish was still twitching before the last whallop.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

All animals will twitch well after death. Even humans.

Dogfish certainly do along with eels.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

All animals will twitch well after death. Even humans.

Thanks for that. ;)

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”