What ever next!

Dick Dastardly

Well I know Ive got a bit of a thing about the almost God like status many modern carpers bestow on their catch but this coment I recently got about my hook sharpeners really takes the biscuit!-

"When you are sharpening the hook as you cant sharpen in a circle you must be putting edges into the hook, so in reality you are creating one or more cutting edges that are going to slice into the fishes mouth and cause more damage than a hook?"

Hmmm might be a market for a new product line here me thinks! "Foam Hook Point covers to stop the carp pricking themselves on a sharp hook".........................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well I know Ive got a bit of a thing about the almost God like status many modern carpers bestow on their catch but this coment I recently got about my hook sharpeners really takes the biscuit!-

"When you are sharpening the hook as you cant sharpen in a circle you must be putting edges into the hook, so in reality you are creating one or more cutting edges that are going to slice into the fishes mouth and cause more damage than a hook?"

Hmmm might be a market for a new product line here me thinks! "Foam Hook Point covers to stop the carp pricking themselves on a sharp hook".........................

:D Oh dear. They may aswell fit a magnet to the carp and then a magnet to the end of the rod and catch them that way. Always worked when I used to fish as a toddler ;)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

"When you are sharpening the hook ..............................you must be putting edges into the hook, so in reality you are creating one or more cutting edges that are going to slice into the fishes mouth and cause more damage than a hook?"

I'm sure it's been done already anyway (as part of experimenting with hooking arrangements) might have been George Sharman or maybe Kevin Maddocks, I certainly remember reading about it somewhere, they may even have turned the hooks inside out with the barb on the outside.

Yes a couple of patterns are actually designed to penetrate by utilising a cutting edge.Yes the KM Outbarbs were a tremendous sucsess..................as you can tell by the numbers of shops that stock them!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thing is (I thought the gezzer was on a wind up at first!) he was/is deadly serious!

That's the scarey thing Budgie, a lot of them are.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

On the few occassions I have fished commercial carp lakes I've left with the distinct impression that the owners would rather we didn't catch the merchandise.

Regards, Clive

Nicepix,

Although it has now been many years - I too had that nagging feeling. In fairness I was able to fish some pretty "uppity" venues.

It is quite different on our commercials. They buy 4 - 5 thousand pounds of [big] fish annually and want you to catch and catch and catch. Almost overkill the other way.

Phone