New 'high end' centrepin from Edward Barder

Rusty

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it's a "must have" for Barder rod owners, but £800? You got to be 'avin a larf, surely.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

At £800 a pop I don't think Chris Lythe will be losing too much sleep;

http://www.barder-rod.co.uk/reels/reels%20intro.aspx

Hi Rusty, :)

they've been available for a few months now...... I was given the opportunity of one of the first to be made, to which I declined. I would definately not part with £800 for one even though they bear the Barder name. Although they are precision engineered, they aren't particulary pleasing to my eye. I may be wrong but I think they are manufactured by somebody else as I have no recollection of seeing any of the machinery required to make them in his workshops.

With reference to Chris Lythe's reels in comparison to Edward Barder's, at least you will get your Edward Barder reel in a reasonable time. I know of one well known "Angling name" who after initially being quoted 2 years waiting, finally received his Lythe reel after 5 years of gentle reminders. (I was also given the same "timeframe" although he did add that it might take even longer!)

In my opinion, Edward Barder should stick to what he undoubtably does best...... building outstandingly amazing cane rods!

:bye1:

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

I agree wunwetfoot. I've been tempted by Barder's rods for a while, yes they're expensive but at least when you look at one closely you get the feeling that your money's gone somewhere worthwhile, not the same with this reel I think.

Lythe's waiting time is a frustration, it wouldn't be so bad if it was accurate but I'm up to 30 months now having been quoted 18. On the plus side you pay the price at the time of ordering so when my reel does arrive it'll cost £475 as opposed to the £575 he's now charging. If you can put up with the wait they're still much better value than Barder's reel in my opinion;

DSCN0155.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Rusty,

I have a question. Since "functionallity" at $1000 is not an issue, does the reel have marks that will be identifyable in 50 years when there ARE $50 knockoffs available? Does the reel have the Barder name on the reel? Is there going to be "a way" to distinguish it from 10 yards?

Wunwet,

Are you suggesting the reel is "component parts" and the reels are coming along on the guys well deserved name in rod making?

Mat,

I thought it was just because all my taste was in my mouth. I'll give you the kiss of death. It's ugly to me also. (Now you agree with Phone).

Phone

I have a question. Since "functionallity" at $1000 is not an issue, does the reel have marks that will be identifyable in 50 years when there ARE $50 knockoffs available? Does the reel have the Barder name on the reel? Is there going to be "a way" to distinguish it from 10 yards?

Yes Phone the reel is engraved with the Barder name in an understated way and it is quite distinctive I suppose, by that I mean that I can't think of another one which looks quite so dull. I'm sure it will be well made but precision engineering these days usually means mounting a billet of aluminium in a CNC milling machine and pressing a button. I doubt Barder would’ve invested in that sort of kit so I’m with wunwetfoot, they’re made elsewhere and engraved with the all important name.

I wouldn’t criticise anybody for buying one, I’ve paid over the odds (in terms of functionality) for other ‘pins just to be able to own them but this particular one is above my personal threshold.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I can think of many reels i'd buy before buying the barder reel, infact I wouldn't buy the barder reel unless it was cheap enough to sell on and make a few squids at short notice.

Imagine what people would say about the reel if a company like okuma had brought it out and charged £200 a reel ! Personally i'd prefer their sheffield or aventa pro or any of their reels, they look much nicer and I would imagine they'd out perform the barder since they do any other reel imo of course :).

If that costs £800 then the price of mine has just gone through the ceiling....if I ever make any more B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!