live baiting for perch

oneillbox

Guest tigger
I don't think you will get a lot on here eating the perch they catch, especially the ones over 8" but I bet the E.E Angling Association will be this very minute be feeling they are absolved of all their eating of our coarse fish.

'Doin a great job :thumbs:

I must admitt you definitely have a good point there Neil. I thought we were trying to put the dampers on people munching the regular coarse fish, not promote eating them..........recipies n'all :rolleyes:

Edited by tigger

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you will get a lot on here eating the perch they catch,

You forgotten the results of the poll we had Neil?

Never got that recount you wanted did you? :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Rabbit
You forgotten the results of the poll we had Neil?

Never got that recount you wanted did you? :)

John.

Not really representative of Anglers by the looks of things John :rolleyes:

I must addmitt you definatly have a good point there Neil. I thought we where trying to put the dampers on people munching the regular course fish, not promote eating them..........recipies n'all :rolleyes:

See someone with the balls to stand up, where are the rest of you?

Edited by Rabbit

Not really representative of Anglers by the looks of things Ian :rolleyes:

Not really representative of which anglers?

I eat some of the fish I catch, including coarse fish and most of my fishing friends do to.

I particularly enjoy Perch.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest Rabbit
Not really representative of which anglers?

I eat some of the fish I catch, including coarse fish and most of my fishing friends do to.

I particularly enjoy Perch.

Scottish are exempt, after all you lot will eat anything.... haggis??

Say no more :D

Not really representative of Anglers by the looks of things John :rolleyes:

You keep saying that.

One day you'll actually convince yourself that it's true. :P

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

A couple of interesting things posted here while Ive been away.

The hypocrisey thing is dead on.While Emma is totally right that its far more humane to have a correct tool for killing a fish you just cant get awayfrom the fact that bashing one over the head makes most people (angler or not) shudder.

Anderoo asked about the discretion point.Thinking about this I realised that a point made by some one else really affected this,Yes I agree to that most of the GP accept the use of a fish for bait....its some other anglers that dont!

A lot of prople must be thinking that this topic has gone seriously off topic......I dont as it all very much revolves around two major angling moral issues,is it ok to kill fish and do fish feel pain. I can only see the same two possible answers for both,YES or No once youve made your opinion then you really need to stick to it and above all be consistant.No good saying that killing fish is totally wrong but its ok to kill them for bait! No way can you say that its cruel to livebait as sticking in the hooks will hurt them but its ok to stick hooks in there mouths to catch them in the first place!

I said it a long way back you need to make these decissions early in your angling career.And as some one else said if you have problems with any of these things then maybe angling (if you want to be consistantly true to your beliefs) isnt for you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest tigger

I think the majority of British anglers refrain from eating coars fish as they have to much respect for their quarry and want to have the sport of re catching the fish if, as, and when it gets bigger, if they simply eat it it's gone and there's no chance of that. Even a lot of game fishermen now release their catch. It does seem rather stupid to promote eating coars fish on an internet Angling forum.

Edited by tigger

Week in, week out, all the angling papers and in many of the angling forums, a minority of people bang on in a xenophobic way about eastern Europeans eating all our coarse fish.

Columnists such as Keith Arthur, anglings 'most opinionated voice' call for purges too on creatures such as otters.

I find it all a bit tiresome.

Blooming heck - do we really think that garroting Tarka or kneecapping Jan is the way to safeguard angling in the UK?

I do find it a bit odd though that someone posts recipes about coarse fish on this forum. I have a track record on this forum of opposing live baiting and the charge of anti has often been thrown at me in debate.

But actually l love the taste of fish and eat it often. Seafood rules when it comes to my choice of a night out. I just feel when I am out there fishing on our rivers that I should put it back for the other members of the angling fraternity.

Imagine eating the 1lb perch that might well have gone to be the largest fish on your local river. I'd be a bit miffed at that person...

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

The hypocrisy in angling (as I keep saying) never fails to amaze me.

It's OK to stock waters to naturally unsustainable levels, so long as it's makes the catching of fish easier!

It's OK to have these fish escape, (as they naturally will), with the obvious impact on the eco system of the other waters.

It's OK to constantly target a massive fish in a short stretch of water, hoping that it will weigh an ounce or two more than last time.

It's OK to stock fish to sizes that are unnatural to the water, just so that someone can claim a 'record'.

It's OK to stock fish that will cross breed with the resident species and risk a whole strain die out.

(I could go on, but I think you get the message).

These examples are (I presume) thought of as beneficial to the fish. After all angling is such a caring pastime that we wouldn't do it just for our own benefit....would we?

But suggest that someone might take the odd fish for the pot :o , and there is uproar.

Dare to post a recipe, and the cry of indignation is deafening.

Complete and utter hypocrisy.

John.