My Top Ten Albums

Mally

Ok here are my top ten 'desert island discs' with an explanation as to why i like each. Feel free to comment on them and add your own!

1. Queen - Greates Hits (1) - my first ever album and still outstanding now, whenever i listen to it i still love every single song on it!

2. Pink floyd - The wall - if you havent listend to it then go out and buy it now, excellence, just utterly amazing, it is a master peice, a film, an album and a part theatrical part musicl live tour all rolled into one! Will there ever be anything like it?

3. Iron Maiden - Best of the Beast - A fairly recent purchase and i just cant belive how much i like this album, it is utterly brilliant, i think i will have to be investing in some more maiden!

4. Deep Purple - Made in Japan (a live album) - Ian Gillan has the most amazing voice and Ritchie Blackmore is equally good on guitar! Also some awesome organ playing!

5. Rage Against the Machine - self titled - Took me a while to get into rage but now I love em! there has never been music like it, it was completeley revolutional, political and at the same time brilliant!

6. Nivarna - Nevermind - Everybody owns it or knows someone who does, nuff said!

7. QOTSA - R Rated - I thought music was getting a bit dull untill i heard this, superb, rather than 10 songs in a row its a complete album where all the songs lead into one another and they all tell a story as does the album as a whole, if you dont belive me than listen to it!

8. Oasis - Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - by far my fav oasis ablum!! I suppose i like it for much the same reasons that i like the above choice.

9. Stone roses - Second Comming - Anyone who says this is **** dosent know what they are talking about! admittedly its the only stone roses album i own but that will change!

10. Led Zepplin - there fourth album - an inspirational and amazing band, at the time they came out there was nothing like it, they started 'metal' even though they have always called themselves a folk band. Every rock album that came after it had somthing to thank them for and in my opion this is the best of the bunch!

I can honestly say that if i could only listen to these ten albums for the rest of my life I dont think i would ever get bored, but if i had to choose only one album an that would be the only one i could ever listen to it would have to be Pink floyds - Pulse.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Queen - Greates Hits (1) - my first ever album and still outstanding now, whenever i listen to it i still love every single song on it!

:confused: have you just been born :confused: they have to release loads before they can make a greatist hit ALBUM :D

[ 04. September 2002, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Nice thread Mally - here's mine (in no particular order)

1 - Decade - Neil Young - bit of a cheat to start with as this was a triple vynll album. I find Neil Young varies from the sublime to the truely awful - I usually make up tapes of all his best stuff culled from perhaps half a dozen albums. This covers his 1st 10 years and jolly good it is too.

2 - Wind & Wuthering - Genesis. Pure nostalgia trip this. I was really into Genesis in my youth and did some serious snogging to this album as a teenager :D . Blood on the Rooftops still gives me a warm glow

3 - Concerto, Op.6 No.8, The Christmas Concerto - Corelli. I've listened to this countless times and the adagio STILL sends a tingle down the back of the neck - pure magic.

4 - OK Computer - Radiohead. Still not sure about their later experimental stuff but they don't put a foot wrong in this classic album. Still haven't tired of listening to it after 5 years.

5 - Urban Hymns - The Verve. Love every track, another classic that has stood the test of time in the Plumb household.

6 - Nevermind - Nirvana. Nuff said!!

7 - Out of Time - REM Again every track is pure class.

8 - The Unforgettable Fire - U2. Massively under-rated work. This is now 18 years old and is probably the most listened to album in my collection. Best thing they ever did IMHO.

9 - Just Enough Education to Perform - Stereophonics. Still the first cassette to go into the player when I'm in the car.

10 - Songs from the Big Chair - Tears for Fears. A fav. for both Jaq and I from our 'courting days'.

Chris

[ 04. September 2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Chris Plumb ]

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Here's mine but not in any order.

1 Queen 11 - I love every track. Some of the sounds that Brian May gets out of his home made guitar are amazing.

2 The Joshua Tree - U2 - A classic album that every one should own.

3 Apollo - Brian Eno - This is a fantastic album to which you can just drift away to.

4 Phaedra - Tangerine Dream - Another album to play when you just want to chill.

5 Show Some Emotion - Joan Armatrading - She is just a fantastic song writer.

6 Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd - I really love this album, I can play it over and over.

7 The Division Bell - Pink Floyd - There are some wonderful tracks on this album, this band have been producing excellent music for 3 decades and just go from strength to strength.

8 The Minstrel in the Gallery - Jethro Tull - The Tull have probably released better albums such as "Benefit" but this album just has something that I can't explain.

9 White Ladder - David Gray - Excellent!

10 Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow - Check this out, it may over 20 years old but you will not find anything to better this if you like guitar instrumentals.

If I had to pick just 1 album to listen to for the rest of my life then it would have to be the Snow Goose by Camel.

Well that's mine for what it's worth.

Alan.....

[ 05. September 2002, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: rabid ]

In no particular order:

The Beatles - Revolver

The Manics - The Holy Bible

Marion - This World and Body

Suede - Head Music

Nick Drake - Fruit Tree (The complete works)

Sylvian/Fripp - Damage

The Cardigans - Gran Turismo

Leatherface - Mush

David Bowie - Heroes

The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps

and as a couple of spares,

Brian Eno - Another Green World

The Cure - Disintegration

[ 04. September 2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Albums? Is they the same as LP`s?

Otis Redding...... Otis Blue

Beatles............ Seargent Peppers

Stax(comp)......... This is Stax

Dire Straits....... Brothers In Arms

J.M.Jarre.......... Oxygene

Pink Floyd......... Animals

Beatles............ Rubber Soul

The rest are all karioke versions of my favourites? I love them all the same. Especially `Nights in White Satin` and `Whiter Shade of Pale`?

OK. So I can`t sing? Some of you can`t even recall a record of more than 30 years ago?

How about `Spanish Eye`s` by Al Martino? No?

I don`t remember it originaly as well. But it`s still a good song.

Paul.

Cold Play Forever??

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Boy, that's a tough one! There are so many fine artists out there to pick from.

I can tell you what DVD/movie I can watch over and over. It's "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation", starring Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid.

Jake

[ 05. September 2002, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Jake ]

Why do birds suddenly appear

Every time you are near?

Just like me, they long to be

Close to you.

Here are my favorites having titles starting with "If". All are real songs BTW. I won't bother with the artists who did them since ya'll ain't much into hard core country/western music.

If Fingerprints Showed Up On Skin, Wonder Whose I'd Find On You

If I Can't Sell it, I'll Keep Sitting On It

If I Had Shot You When I Wanted To, I'd Be Out By Now

If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body, Would You Hold It Against Me?

If Money Talks, It Ain't On Speaking Terms With Me

If My Nose Were Full of Nickels, I'd Blow It All On You

If She Puts Lipstick On My Dipstick, I'll Fall In Love

If You Don't Believe I Love You Just Ask My Wife

If You Leave Me, Can I Come Too?

If You Really Loved Me You Would Have Married Somebody Else

If You Won't Leave Me Alone Ill Find Someone Who Will

and a couple other classics

The Pint of No Return

You Were Only A Splinter As I Slid Down The Bannister Of Life

You're the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

1. "Now, that's what I call Music 11"

2. "Now, that's what I call Music 2"

3. "Now, that's what I call Music 24"

need I go on....

..but really here we go and in no particular order...

1. The Dubliners - "25 Years Celebration"

2. The Pogues - "Rum, Sodomy & the Lash"

3. The Clash - London's Burning

4. Joy Division - STILL

5. The Specials - The Specials

6. U2 - Boy

7. Kate Bush - The Whole Story

8. The Undertones - The Undertones

9. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

10. Ash - Calling all Angles

Chesters, i dont understand your point :confused:

I am 19, 20 in a couple of weeks, i bought queen's greatset hits when i was about 10.

Nice to see a few pink floyd fans on here as well as me!

[ 05. September 2002, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Mally ]