British records increasing .

Dave H

Dave, that is a big worry on my local river Lea. Where are the back up fish? you catch a monster or you blank. No one seems to have come up for a solution to the problem. It's even debatable whether some thing should be done or is it just one of those things that happen and you should accept it.

The thing is these unique scenarios that throw up monster fish of a certain species pop up in different places and once those big fish pass the waters often then do not produce the same standard of fish. We have talked about it before with regards big Bream. It's a good argument for making the most of fishing on some waters while those windows of availability exist, as the back up fish are often not there and even re-stocking may not re-create the same set of circumstances that produced the huge fish in the first place.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Is this pure greed?. The large fish are purposely being kept that way in fisheries as to be a magnet for specimen hunters. Put 100 25lb carp in a syndicate the carp boys would not pay the money. Start putting just 10 of 50+ carp in the same water they will be in droves paying thousands and thousands to just get one of them but i am not just singling out the Ex Para dream carp boys here but the Pike and the perch and anything else. So are we to blame the fishery owners themselves for not keeping the balance. I think in stillwaters we can much more.

Interesting?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

With only a handful of fishing trips after many many years i was astounded to find how much the record weights had grown for each weight exception maybe being Pike.

I held the barbel record for a very very short time and to see it upped by 5lb is astonishing!!

Why is this. is it really down to carp anglers stuffing tons of boilies into the water?

Is it we have just improved our tactics to catch them. Could you seperate a certain species and say 'That' is why Tench has increased or we have just found them?

some have to of been improved by the amount of boilies but predators such as the Perch?

http://www.fishingposts.com/fishspecies.htm

I think different species different reasons, but as said climate, food and predators would seem to have played a big part to me.

River record barbel list might interest you Dave.

This one that i don't think has been up dated since 2008 shows a hugh spike in the number of rivers with new records from 2005 on. With over 25% of them listing 2007.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/shared/PageTemplates/GenericContent.aspx?id=9493

This more up to date one looks to me to show that trend for new record barbel has backed right off.

http://www.barbelsociety.co.uk/records.asp

I can only think climate and mild winters play a big part in barbel records.

What year did you have your record Dave?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Phone, that's about half the generally accepted figure in the UK for optimum growth, and that's what I aim for on my own lakes at Wingham.

Mind you, this is low compared to the vast majority of UK venues. Indeed I know a lot of commercials are stocked at 10x this level!

Bear in mind that many of our waters are stocked with what you in the States call "rough fish". Does the figure that you quoted include these as well or just "game fish"?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I think different species different reasons, but as said climate, food and predators would seem to have played a big part to me.

River record barbel list might interest you Dave.

This one that i don't think has been up dated since 2008 shows a hugh spike in the number of rivers with new records from 2005 on. With over 25% of them listing 2007.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/shared/PageTemplates/GenericContent.aspx?id=9493

This more up to date one looks to me to show that trend for new record barbel has backed right off.

http://www.barbelsociety.co.uk/records.asp

I can only think climate and mild winters play a big part in barbel records.

What year did you have your record Dave?

In 1994 on the River Medway I caught it at 16lb ¾ oz. It was the British record. It was at fordcombe near Ashford. To those who know the stretch they will tell you that it is less than 6ft wide and it was taken at a 10ft wide stretch in no more than 2ft of water. At the time I was in the Royal Tunbridge Wells fishing club who owned the water. It was quite a popular area as there were quite big pike that were caught in the big eddies on the river. Word spread quickly and within 4 days it had been caught again at 16lb 1oz allegedly. Then the following week another. It was named ‘Bertie’ Barbel. Other fish came in at the 12lb/14lb mark. Then after about the 5th catch in about 2 weeks the Carp boys literally built a damn of Robin Red boilies . Then a guy came along Pete Whitehouse who I think was a member and caught it pushing it up to over 16lb 2oz.

To my knowledge it and 4 or 5 barbel around the 12lb mark disappeared soon after. You can think of a conspiracy if you like but all were not seen. I would like to hope that they were removed and put in a deeper wider section of the Medway.

Many did not want to catch it of fear of killing it but many more wanted their name up in lights. Many thought it a dumb fish but I thought it just had nowhere to go and with many just popping up what chance did it have? Even poachers at night were having a go. At one point an official from the club and a police officer stood at night . I gave up fishing soon after due to family commitments and other issues.

So yes, held it for 3 or 4 days it’s not long but at least I did and I did it the proper way with feeder and maggots and that makes me feel good today J

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

In 1994 on the River Medway I caught it at 16lb ¾ oz. It was the British record. It was at fordcombe near Ashford. To those who know the stretch they will tell you that it is less than 6ft wide and it was taken at a 10ft wide stretch in no more than 2ft of water. At the time I was in the Royal Tunbridge Wells fishing club who owned the water. It was quite a popular area as there were quite big pike that were caught in the big eddies on the river. Word spread quickly and within 4 days it had been caught again at 16lb 1oz allegedly. Then the following week another. It was named ‘Bertie’ Barbel. Other fish came in at the 12lb/14lb mark. Then after about the 5th catch in about 2 weeks the Carp boys literally built a damn of Robin Red boilies . Then a guy came along Pete Whitehouse who I think was a member and caught it pushing it up to over 16lb 2oz.

To my knowledge it and 4 or 5 barbel around the 12lb mark disappeared soon after. You can think of a conspiracy if you like but all were not seen. I would like to hope that they were removed and put in a deeper wider section of the Medway.

Many did not want to catch it of fear of killing it but many more wanted their name up in lights. Many thought it a dumb fish but I thought it just had nowhere to go and with many just popping up what chance did it have? Even poachers at night were having a go. At one point an official from the club and a police officer stood at night . I gave up fishing soon after due to family commitments and other issues.

So yes, held it for 3 or 4 days it’s not long but at least I did and I did it the proper way with feeder and maggots and that makes me feel good today J

I guess this is the exact reason a lot of specimen anglers do not like to claim records or report big fish that are caught for fear of the fish being hounded until it unfortunately dies so they can get a 1/2oz over their mate. It is a shame your record ended up that way but at least you know your capture holds far more value than any of the glory hunters that caught it after you! I fail to see the joy in going after after a known fish hoping it will be so full on boilies that it will be at a slightly heavier weight than it was caught at the week before, I would much rather catch it the way you did and find it myself

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Steve,

This is the recommended stocking of a new watershed pond. They, Department of Natural Resources, have a mixed species formula. Both predator and prey. These pond stockings are of very little cost to the private pond owner. That may be one reason they are on the low side - the State is paying.

This is for C&R "specimen" fish. It's upward to 100 kg for a new public catch and eat watersheds areas (depending on size).

I agree, our "commercials" (paylakes) are 10X or more stocked also. They understand the risk.

Phone

Cheers, Phone.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net