British records increasing .

Dave H

Yes, the crays have had an effect without a doubt. I would class that as 'natural food' though (even though they're not native). It's strange, on some rivers there is a huge lack of smaller fish coming through, which I agree is a major concern. Locally, the Cherwell is a good example. Lots of crays, a few big fish, very few smaller ones. However, on others, this hasn't happened. The Thames here isn't that much bigger than the Cherwell, and is even more riddled with crays, but it's teeming with small fish of all species. So it's clearly not just the presence of crays that creates this 'big fish or none at all' situation. There's something else going on.

I think that while I see the crays as the main factor, there are of course others such as water quality, ( I keep saying clearer doesn't necessary mean cleaner), I would love to see a complete break down of the composition of waters in our rivers, and the possible effects on wildlife, The effects of steroids passed through the sewage system, is just one.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I agree Steve, it will sort itself out, but will we like the end results?

Look what happened in Jurrasic Park, it came back to bite them on more than the backside. :D

John.

John.

Genie is out of the bottle where the alien species are concerned - we won't get exactly the same assemblage we had before, but left alone we will get a self-sustaining population with a normal age structure. Like the situation with barbel and zander in the Severn, I suppose.

Guest 1lastcast

Anderloo reckons that the intoduction of HNV baits in small Rivers is not the major factor as to why barbel are bigger, and that anyway the barbel that were in the Ouse (Adams Mill) I guess, were already big before the Barbel anglers started to feed them.

Sure, that's why we see those big fat lazy carp with a huge girth then I suppose, nowt to do with anglers and the feed, just crayfish and life style is it?

Remarkable

You learn something new everyday..

I don't think you understood my point.

Are those big bloated carp record sized, or even approaching record sized?

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest 1lastcast

I think that while I see the crays as the main factor, there are of course others such as water quality, ( I keep saying clearer doesn't necessary mean cleaner), I would love to see a complete break down of the composition of waters in our rivers, and the possible effects on wildlife, The effects of steroids passed through the sewage system, is just one.

John.

I agree, whilst we have strived for cleaner rivers (and why not?) the downside fish like Roach have suffered, the dirty old Rivers I used to fish in the past thew up some clonking Roach, not anymore they don't.

Watched a video on River Carp fishing on the Cam, and the Angler fishes below a sewage pipe that enters the river, the Carp are to be found many times around the pipe feeding, and the peg is a Carp hot spot in more ways than one.

Guest 1lastcast

I don't think you understood my point.

Are those big bloated carp record sized, or even approaching record sized?

Oh come off it Andrew, you cant post up something like you think HNV baits is a minor factor with fish size, forget the carp thing, it's not worth debating anyway, beyond that, it's a fact.

Oh come off it Andrew, you cant post up something like you think HNV baits is a minor factor with fish size, forget the carp thing, it's not worth debating anyway, beyond that, it's a fact.

I didn't forget about carp. If you think it's a fact, consider this - there are 2 gravel pits right next to each other. One is constantly carp fished by competent anglers and sees lots of quality bait regularly going in, and has done for years. The other has never been carp fished, and sees so little bait it may as well be none.

Which one holds the biggest carp?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't buy the HNV baits theory either, as it is often the venues that do not receive them in quantity that have produced these huge near record sized fish which points to other factors being important. Plus as Dave mentioned in his opening post, How does HNV baits explain Perch size?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

It would be interesting to compare the net nutritional value of HNV baits fed by specimen anglers with that of traditional baits like maggots and casters chucked in by match anglers back in the heyday of river match fishing. How many pegs on an open on a big river like the Severn, and maybe a gallon of maggots or hemp and caster each? Maggots are pretty nutritious things. I wouldn't be surprised if the net nutritional input from anglers these days is considerably lower than when they were regularly match fished.