Human rights.

Andrew

No, it was incorporated into UK law by the Human Rights Act 1998. Every law in the UK has to comply with it.

http://publicinterest.info/european-convention-human-rights

As long as Parliament agrees...it's not cut and dried.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

As long as Parliament agrees...it's not cut and dried.

It is as cut and dried as any matter pertaining to parliament. Another of the fundamental constitutional provisions in the UK is that no Parliament can bind it's successors. Any law passed by the UK parliament can be changed by any parliament. However they are also subject to the rule of law and any statute enacted must be legal. So if parliament was to pass a statute that falls foul of the human rights act it would need to have a provision within the act itself that specifically excluded that act from the provisions of the 1988 act.

It is highly unlikely that any parliament would ever do so despite having the theoretical freedom to do so.

Parliament takes the rule of law very seriously.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

All,

OK, I'll jump in with my "instinctive" off the cuff thoughts. It seems to me the big picture is missing. I remember the Witch Hunt for Communists in the U.S. in the 1950's. Do those of you who want to turn this guy over believe that history does not repeat itself?

Upholding the rights of immigrants, even if they are terrorists, is important to us all. When the government has the power to deny legal rights and due process to one vulnerable group, everyone's rights are at risk. Non-citizens are often the first and most vulnerable targets of government abuse.

Phone

• Like 1

You don't have the most right wing party of government in power.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages, given the appalling civil liberties record of the previous government - you must be wearing red tinted spectacles.

All,

OK, I'll jump in with my "instinctive" off the cuff thoughts. It seems to me the big picture is missing. I remember the Witch Hunt for Communists in the U.S. in the 1950's. Do those of you who want to turn this guy over believe that history does not repeat itself?

Upholding the rights of immigrants, even if they are terrorists, is important to us all. When the government has the power to deny legal rights and due process to one vulnerable group, everyone's rights are at risk. Non-citizens are often the first and most vulnerable targets of government abuse.

Phone

It would seem that a kind of McCarthyism is alive and well in the UK Phone.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The European Convention on Human Rights IS BRITISH LAW.

It is not possible to use one without the other, they are one and the same.

That's a pretty disingenuous interpretation, but if you want to couch it in those terms, fine - legislation should be tested against the ECHR when written, and if judged compliant it should not be possible to override individual judgements made under that law on the basis that they are in breach of the ECHR.

no mine are a pleasant yellow. The difference between the last government and this is that the conservatives (some anyway) actively want to get rid of some of the Human Rights provisions, the last lot were just ignorant and power hungry.

Despite some of the crass things this government has done at the behest of the tory part, aided and abetted by the LibDems (to my eternal anger) they are unable to make real progress on some of their more radical ideas due to the yellow brake.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Rights? I an english i think if i had rights it would be to remove all of them from anyone non english ,non surrey ,perhaps even my neighbours dont i have a right not to have any rights or decide i dont recognise others think they have?

Trouble is your forced to comply ,i used to dream of not appearing on the electrol roll and in 2001 i didnt nor was i on the census,trouble is if you do not your are buggered if you do not even if you dont vote and like your washing not aired in public.

For something thats supposed to be fairly protected its strange how many people know your not on either!,

I elected to be removed from the NHS database ,lo and behold my details are plainly there on every nhs monitor in the country

There is no freedom or rights personally for me ,it seems everyone has rights over me despite what i want to the opposite

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Parliament takes the rule of law very seriously.

All,

Phone

One could argue that he's not an "immigrant" in that sense of the word Phone. He came seeking asylum as he had been found guilty of terrorism charges at home...then he started threatening the British, Jews and Americans when he got here. Now "Euro-law" is putting his rights above those that are just trying to live their lives in their own country.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!