Hookbaits

Sportsman

OK, I'm bored, so just for interest

Which 3 hookbaits would you want to keep at all costs and which would you be happy never to use again/

I'll start

My indispensable three would be

maize / sweetcorn. My most heavily used bait by far. I should think that 80% + of my fish are taken one one type or another and the one I would keep if I could only use one bait for the rest of my life.

Worms will take just about anything that swims and works when sweetcorn doesn't.

Bread in all of its forms.

three I could lose are

Boilies I have never really done that well with boilies on the rare occasions that I have used them. I have a fishing buddy who uses them almost exclusively and I invariably out catch him with maize.

Luncheon meat. Can't keep it on the hook and can't catch anything when I do keep it on the hook. I suppose someone catches on it, but not me.

Pellets convenient but if I can catch on pellet I will probably catch better on corn, so why bother.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Keep: Maggot0 (good all rounder), Lobworm (good for perch, chub and carp), Bread (another all rounder, also great fun suface fishing for carp in summer)

Get rid of: Boilie (Never tried it, so don't need it), artificial baits (not had much luck on them, found actual bait worked better), hemp

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Keep:

Hemp & Caster - I'm counting that as one B)

Cheesepaste

Bread

Lose:

All the others obviously - I wouldn't miss pellets boilies or worms very much - maggots, maize and luncheon meat would be much harder - I'd probably cheat. :P

Keep: Maggots, worms and sweetcorn, cheese, bread, casters minnows eeni meeni....cheese...phew that was a hard choice!

Lose: Boilies, pellets, hemp.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Keep :clap3:

Maggots (so entertaining on a blank day to separate out the colours)

Worm (gets the garden dug as well)

Bread (Waste not want not, this is the only bait that I am willing to eat if the fish do not want it!!!)

Ditch :yucky:

Boilies....pigs fart flavour is so hard to find these days

Hemp (abso murder to get on a hair rig, often involves burning the midnight oil into the wee hours in the garage)

Stuff stuck to corkballs (effin glue gets all over tackle!, then it sticks other thing together and then the bits drop off the cork)

"Muddlin' along"

Maggot (in all forms (pinkie, squatt, caster, maggot) including dead)

Pellet ( you need to use expanders or banded hard pellet, shop bought hooker pellets are rubbish)

Bread - so many ways to use it, punched, liquidised, crust, flake and breadcrumb.

With the above I can catch most uk species.

Bread works world wide.

Get rid of:

Nuts

Luncheon meat

Catmeat

None do fish or lake bottoms much good.

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Maggot (in all forms (pinkie, squatt, caster, maggot) including dead)

Pellet ( you need to use expanders or banded hard pellet, shop bought hooker pellets are rubbish)

Bread - so many ways to use it, punched, liquidised, crust, flake and breadcrumb.

With the above I can catch most uk species.

Bread works world wide.

Get rid of:

Nuts

Luncheon meat

Catmeat

None do fish or lake bottoms much good.

Never used nuts or cat meat but use a fair amount of luncheon meat for carp and chub in the summer months, didn't know it did any harm. I'm not disputing it but could you elaborate? Cheers

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."