Tasteless or funny?

JaMiMa

i thought this forum was like the BBC 'to entertain, educate and inform' i'm trying to educate myself in the ways and thoughts of the believer, whats wrong with that? its not me thats arrogants its the millions of christians , catholics, jews, muslims etc who spread lies and deceit and get all grumpy when asked to explain any of it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeepster, let me explain. Religion (and I'm a Christian) involves believing in something that cannot be proven. That is the definition of faith. If it could be proven, where is the concept of faith? It would be like believing in chickens. So what. Believing in something beyond our comprehension, actually gives a degree of comfort to me and many others. I don't mind if you and others mock, but it does make we wonder if you wonder where you are going. Sorry if that sounds a bit arrogant, wasn't meant to be.

As for the joke, there are loads of very irreverent and funny religous ones, but the idea of a joke about something as horrific as a crucifiction is a bit tasteless actually. But I don't object to it being here - it gave rise to the sort of debate we like to have here....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

jeepster:

i'm trying to educate myself in the ways and thoughts of the believer..........its not me thats arrogants its the millions of christians , catholics, jews, muslims etc who spread lies and deceit...  

Jeepster, I think we both know that your first statement doesn't exactly tie-in with your second, mate.

You've clearly made up your mind, and closed it, on the matter. Perhaps Cranfield simply doesn't wish to tilt at your particular windmill right now, mate, especially on such a vast and sensitive subject.

He has his faith, I have mine, and you don't have yours - that's all there is to it, really. My life is certainly improved by my faith, as I bet Cranfield's is by his, and that alone justifies my belief.

We're all bright lads, we just see things differently, that's all. I hope you're as happy with your choice as I am with mine.

All the best.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

JaMiMa.

There`s no such thing as a bad or tasteless joke? If someone else finds it funny, then it`s a joke.

I fear the PC brigade have held too much sway in this country.

Whatever joke is told, you`ll always find someone who considers it`s tasteless?

Can`t tell a joke regarding thin/fat folk, bald/hairy, extremely tall/short, overweight/anorexic, religion of any kind, child abuse????

40 something years ago whilst I was still in junior school, this joke started doing the rounds.

It made everone laugh or turn away in mock disgust. Today it would be decried as sick, tasteless and giving credit to child abuse!!

`Mummy. Why do I run around in circles?`

`Shut up. Or I`ll nail your other foot to the floor`!!!

At the time it caused much mirth. Today it doesn`t seem so funny? Yet I`ve never seen a report of anyone having their foot nailed to something since the crucifixion?

I think we`re all becoming way too touchy.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

the thing is terry i'm not 100% closed on this, but as soon as you start to criticise religion of any kind, people dont want to discuss it with you and get on the defensive. my father went to a very strict catholic school and hated every moment of it, he instilled in me a deep mistrust of religion and all it stands for.

i apologise to cranfield and anyone else who may have been offended if i seemed to be trying to cause offence, i just have questions that no one seems to want to answer!

apologies once again and all the best

Religion is the excuse to keep the dumb and opressed in their place, it works most effectively with those that have a sence of self importance but a lack of confidence, needing to have something outside of themselves to depend on.

jeepster:

the thing is terry i'm not 100% closed on this, but as soon as you start to criticise religion of any kind, people dont want to discuss it with you and get on the defensive.

Re-read your contributions to this thread, where you accuse anyone with any sort of faith of spreading lies and deceit, denounce religion as a scam, the Bible as fiction and level all sorts of other, thinly-veiled, statements of disrespect, then tell me you're surprised that people become defensive, mate.

I'm sure you'll see I'm not being unfair, here.

Religion is possibly the most 'touchy' subject of them all and there's definitely a right time and place for its discussion. As wonderful as it is, I doubt that A.N. could provide either.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.