Any sign of spawning?

Steve Burke

At Wingham in East Kent there's still no sign of carp spawning in either lake. There's no perch fry about either in the Main Lake, although I suspect the perch will have spawned as they usually do so early May.

It seems that spawning depends on both water temperature and daylight length. Which is more important appears to depend on the species. For instance the carp at Wingham usually spawn in the last few days of May regardless of the weather, so daylight length is particular important with them, although water temperature is still probably the main factor.

At present, although it's sunny, there's a stiff NE wind that's keeping the water temperature down. That's not unusual in our part of the world, but such a wind comes off the sea, that's colder than the land at this time of year. This year the sea temperature is even lower than usual, so a NE wind is having even more effect than normal.

Everything is way, way behind, especially the 40 acre Main Lake, that's bigger and deeper than the 15 acre Carp Lake.

What's the spawning situation like in your local waters?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The fish in my local water (my garden pond) have been at it for the last week ;)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Steve the lakes around me are just kicking in for the carp to spawn. Layer lake at Colchester,a famous carp water, has just started as have several other waters. I am talking of bigger waters as small ponds etc and commercial type waters seem to buck the trend anyway.

The very big or deep venues are still not showing signs although some are such low density you never see them anyway. Alton reservoir (not oulton water often confused with) has only just had the bream spawning last week. It is 360 acres and up to 35ft deep.

Ardleigh res was a week before.

John

The tench have been spawning in my local club's water for most of the week.

Lots of video footage, if you have Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MouldonHillAnglingClub/

(Don't know if you need to be part of the group to see them?)

The Carp are spawning in the KAPS lakes at Snodland and we are having the annual argument as to whether we close the lakes or not!

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

The Carp are spawning in the KAPS lakes at Snodland and we are having the annual argument as to whether we close the lakes or not!

Tony one of my local club forums asked the same question this morning. I replied that one lake that really only gets carp anglers on it might be a good idea. However I added as I am a bream tench roach perch pike angler in stillwaters should we also close them when they are spawning.

If so we are back to the old close season. I don't see why carp should get any more special treatment than other species.

Close the spawning area's only as not all fish of one species spawn at the same time. Allow angling elsewhere.

John

Close the spawning area's only as not all fish of one species spawn at the same time. Allow angling elsewhere.

Now that is much too simple and sensible to be acceptable to the EA, or to many so-called fishery managers!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

All,

First, our carp around the Kansas City area have spawned (not much use to you though).

More important,

There are no significant differences for a latency period or embryo viability among C&R carp and unfettered wild carp. Catch all you want - if you put them back they will spawn. Earlier spawners control the biomass of their cousins anyway.

Pre-spawn (in a waiting area) or departing post spawn carp are some of the most fun fish you can catch. Darn near impossible to fail. During the actual spawning process (two or more males bumping a female they rarely can be caught "fairly".

Phone