Not exactly thick and fast but better than a blank :)

Tigger

Thank's Brian :) .

I think if you put your specks on Bri :nerd: you'll notice the wide gape has an inturned point, same as the kamasan animals :lol: .

Yep I could see that :nerd:, but its still a bigger hook.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Just out of curiosity Mike what is your rod ?

Shimano Hyperloop 14ft. It's my second. I like these but maybe I need to get something else. I have bought both On line for about £30. If I then bend and eye and break it off I don't worry too much.

I did post this recently and said that with my other 13ft stepped up rod I didn't seem to pull out of as many, but I might have dreamt it - that's happened before - as I can't find the thread now. Senior moment probably - too much work.

Don't tell me to get a Harrison GTi - I already know that! However, I feel the need for a new bicycle, so that will have to take a back seat - a pillion? :D - for a while. Therefore, a suggestion for about £60 might be worthwhile, but I honestly don't think it's the rod. I think it's a combination of me pulling too hard, the current and the lack of stretch in braid, and a narrow gape hook.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Yep I could see that :nerd:, but its still a bigger hook.

Deffo, but that's co's it's a wide gape version in'it ? It looks the same length but wider with a turned in point.

Shimano Hyperloop 14ft. It's my second. I like these but maybe I need to get something else. I have bought both On line for about £30. If I then bend and eye and break it off I don't worry too much.

I did post this recently and said that with my other 13ft stepped up rod I didn't seem to pull out of as many, but I might have dreamt it - that's happened before - as I can't find the thread now. Senior moment probably - too much work.

Don't tell me to get a Harrison GTi - I already know that! However, I feel the need for a new bicycle, so that will have to take a back seat - a pillion? :D - for a while. Therefore, a suggestion for about £60 might be worthwhile, but I honestly don't think it's the rod. I think it's a combination of me pulling too hard, the current and the lack of stretch in braid, and a narrow gape hook.

Mike

I'd have thought a hyperloop would be ok, it must be you, you don't know your own strenght :).

I think I might be bullying them a bit, but there's not a lot you can do when it's only on for five seconds and took at the end of trot as the bait lifted.

I don't think it's any one thing, it's a combination. Small hook, fast current, big fish at one end - numpty at the other.

However, I am going to try wider gape hooks to see if that makes any difference. Won't be trotting again for a while though.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I think I might be bullying them a bit, but there's not a lot you can do when it's only on for five seconds and took at the end of trot as the bait lifted.

I don't think it's any one thing, it's a combination. Small hook, fast current, big fish at one end - numpty at the other.

However, I am going to try wider gape hooks to see if that makes any difference. Won't be trotting again for a while though.

Mike

Even under those circumstances it's strange that your loosing the fish and after only several seconds. I've hit barbel and chub many times just before the lip of a natural wier at the end of a long trott of over 70 yds and had to put on quite a bit of pressure without pulling the hook. I wonder if you've been foul hooking them, as that's usually when you get hook pulls and bent out hooks. I've found it very unusual for a hook to pull out of a barbel if it's hooked properly in the mouth.

Deffo, but that's co's it's a wide gape version in'it ? It looks the same length but wider with a turned in point.

Does gape not equal hook size? Just think it would be better named if you upped it a size or two and called it a short shank hook.

ps. If you find your gigs Ian I think you might find the wide gape short shank hook has the long shank of the two in the pic. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Does gape not equal hook size? Just think it would be better named if you upped it a size or two and called it a short shank hook.

ps. If you find your gigs Ian I think you might find the wide gape short shank hook has the long shank of the two in the pic. :)

Brian, it's an illsuion my friend :lol: .

Tigger,

Lutra's right.

Gape (or Gap) was, and still is (?) the distance between the hook shank and the point. The standard gape is slightly less than half the standard hook shank length. Hook sizes are based upon gape. Now days the word gape is used to mean something that cannot be described.

"Short shank and wide gape" are 100% marketing mumbo jumbo. The ratio of the "shank" (the inside length to the beginning of the "bend or throat") automatically makes the gape 1/2 that distance. That's what gape is. I guess what you want is "wide bend"?? or something??? By definition "short shank" is or should be an impossible combination.

It is true - hook size is a trade-off determined by angling factors. The larger the hook the more likely the angler's chance of landing a hooked fish. How big is big is your decision. I see nothing wrong with that.

Phone