Not exactly thick and fast but better than a blank :)

Tigger

I still had the urge to go trotting today so headed off to the same swim as yesterday. There wasn't as much weed floating down today and the river had dropped several inches but still had a ting of colour.so I had high hopes. The fishing didn't quite reach my expectations but I did catch one barbel, a chub and two trout so at least it wasn't a blank. Although the barbel wasn't huge (at a guess between 8 and 9lb) it fought like a titan and gave my new rod a propper work out....great stuff !

odm.jpg

jsx4.jpg

• Like 2

That's the shiznit!

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Good stuff Tigger. Nice fish, and a nice reel too. I pulled out of so many fish today mainly due to the current - combined with me pulling back too hard - the Kennet was barrelling through despite not being too high.

Mike

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Thank's chaps :).

Arbo, strange you had so many hook pulls, I wonder if it may be something to do with your tackle ? I don't normally go over a size 14's hook when trotting (even in very pacy water) and 6lb line. If it's possible I try and get below the fish especially if they're any size so theyr're fighting me and the current at the same time, just put on a constant pressure but using a softish rod ( stepped up match rod). Funny enough I find the fish don't even need to rest up the same as when they've been caught on heavier tackle, they just blast off leaving a bow wave in the margins :).

nice work! a barbel is my next species on my wish list! but I don't want to go the route of feeder and pellet fishing..i fancy trotting or similar to catch one in a nice clear swim so I can see the action!! :)

got to get my stuff together and figure out the best way to make my wish come true this year I reckon!

I had another session today but no barb's i'm afraid. I got to the spot I knew would produce a lot of barbel on the trotting gear only to find someone there already and catching lots of barbel and chub !....swine LOL.

I caught a dozen or so dace up to about 10 ounces, four trout up to a couple of pounds, a chub of about 2 1/2lb and a surprise graying which (after weighing lots in the past) I guestimated at being very close to the 3lb mark. I'd forgot the scales so couldn't weigh it but to be honest I was mid river and I didn't want to stress it by messing about with it.

Actually I did catch some barbel, about 20 or more in the landing net and all about 2 inch long :).

With heavy rain forecast for the next few days I did my best to get out trotting again today. The swim I fished today is impossible to fish even when there's only a few inches of extra water on the river; plus even a small amount of extra water will dislodge lots of that horrible matted weed /algae and make fishing nigh on impossible.

I managed 5 barbel and 5 chub plus another barbel which I didn't count since I had to follow it a hundred yards downstreem to a shallow gravel bar to net it due to the fact that it was foul hooked in it's dorsal fin!

My best weight of the day was 9lb barbel and chubb just over 6lb.

I was stood mid river for most of my fishing today and on one occasion when I looked over to the bank to where I'd left my gear I spotted a milk chocolate coloured mink faffing about in my waistcoat.

I squeaked to it. The mink came running towards me then jumped into the river and swam to a large boulder were it then sat there for several seconds. I squeaked to it again. This time it jumped into a very strong flow of water and came to within 3ft of me, looking directly into my eyes before diving underwater. No matter how hard I looked I just couldn't see it resurface. I know it will have sneaked out somewhere but it just shows how they can vanish and stay that way if they choose to do so.

Here's a few pic's from the day...

eqa5.jpg

l8fe.jpg

1d79.jpg

sgdi.jpg

i3j2.jpg

oagy.jpg

l7so.jpg

What a session Ian, well done :clap3:

If I catch a barbel on the float it's a big event and yet you churn them out like shelling peas, great stuff.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

What a session Ian, well done :clap3:

If I catch a barbel on the float it's a big event and yet you churn them out like shelling peas, great stuff.

Thank's Chris :). If the weather forecast is correct it'll put an end to my trotting for barbel for a spell. I think a foot or so of water will be good for the river and get rid of some loose bit's of weed but any more might be a bit iffy for the fry as they do seem to be like pin heads / small and fragile at the moment...a bit behind I think.