Not exactly thick and fast but better than a blank :)

Tigger

Tigger,

The above post is hard for me to understand and I wrote it.

We, (modern day anglers) pretty well use the "new" Redditch scale to buy hooks. I'll post the "best" URL I could find. About 2/3rds the way down is a chart of "hook sizing systems" However hook sizes IMO is all MARKETING. Use the largest hook allowed by the target species. - that's my hook advice. I don't think the beak is of any advantage.

http://www.fishsa.com/hookhist.php

The entire article is very interesting and very British.

In the USA we are defo on a larger hook for smaller fish kick right now. Seems to be working.

Phone

Looks like that rain has finally got hear Ian, but why does it have to come on a sunday, mi fishing day. :(

Just hope we get lots of it now so that the weed gets washed out and not just moved around a bit, again.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Even under those circumstances it's strange that your loosing the fish and after only several seconds. I've hit barbel and chub many times just before the lip of a natural wier at the end of a long trott of over 70 yds and had to put on quite a bit of pressure without pulling the hook. I wonder if you've been foul hooking them, as that's usually when you get hook pulls and bent out hooks. I've found it very unusual for a hook to pull out of a barbel if it's hooked properly in the mouth.

I suppose I don't necessarily know that they were barbel. Certainly 2 were, but the others may have been trout or chub. I agree that it's unusual - hence my frustration. Foul hooking is certainly possible, particularly with barbs and their pectorals - I've hooked them like this before.

I'll try again next month - for that is when I can next get out on the river - and let you know.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Phone,

thank's for the info, it's appreciated. I like the slightly hooked turned in hook points as in theory the point doesn't catch on the substraste quite so much so it should stay sharper for longer.

Edited by Tigger

Looks like that rain has finally got hear Ian, but why does it have to come on a sunday, mi fishing day. :(

Just hope we get lots of it now so that the weed gets washed out and not just moved around a bit, again.

Yeah, I did think about you when the rain started yesterday, that weed will be coming down in millions of peices spoiling any style of fishing. If your desperate to get out Brian give me a shout my local sewer will be fishable.

Mike, you'll have to let us know how you do get on.

Yeah, I did think about you when the rain started yesterday, that weed will be coming down in millions of peices spoiling any style of fishing. If your desperate to get out Brian give me a shout my local sewer will be fishable.

Mike, you'll have to let us know how you do get on.

Thanks for the offer Ian. I ended up at the grind stone and banked a day for later in the season, hopefully when the river is on top form.

Thanks for the offer Ian. I ended up at the grind stone and banked a day for later in the season, hopefully when the river is on top form.

I think you did the best thing Brian, but we'll have to get out for a day soon, hopefully when the weathers good again :).

Looks like you have had some good sport of late Ian. I got out for my first couple of hours on the river the other day but made a huge mistake in opting to ledger and got battered by weed and caught sod all. Only had a few hours as I wanted to check out a new stretch (new to me) but was really wishing I had gone trotting. I could see god knows how many chub milling about in the margins using the polaroids. Next time I will be taking the trotting gear and walking up stream to find some nice swims. I already have a few ideas after looking at google earth.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I think you did the best thing Brian, but we'll have to get out for a day soon, hopefully when the weathers good again :).

Just had a chat with a mate that was on today and he said the wind, white horses and weed coming down it was very hard work. So yes I think i did right.

Looks like you have had some good sport of late Ian. I got out for my first couple of hours on the river the other day but made a huge mistake in opting to ledger and got battered by weed and caught sod all. Only had a few hours as I wanted to check out a new stretch (new to me) but was really wishing I had gone trotting. I could see god knows how many chub milling about in the margins using the polaroids. Next time I will be taking the trotting gear and walking up stream to find some nice swims. I already have a few ideas after looking at google earth.

Is that a new club your in Rick or a new length to a club your already in?