An expensive day out

Ken L

Yep, really like my SK4. Mine is the 10' 18-40g version, so maybe you would want a lighter one. Really casts superbly, nice balance of power and flex for playing fish, feels stiff and light in the hand. Well worth a wiggle, in my opinion.

(By the way, Steve, I've got some photos of the hound for you, but your mailbox is full)

Edited by Steve Walker

Yep, really like my SK4. Mine is the 10' 18-40g version, so maybe you would want a lighter one. Really casts superbly, nice balance of power and flex for playing fish, feels stiff and light in the hand. Well worth a wiggle, in my opinion.

(By the way, Steve, I've got some photos of the hound for you, but your mailbox is full)

Emptying it as we speak mate

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

putting one together would be an absolute pleasure. It's great working with quality materials. It would be a fun project.

I might just build one for myself at the same time.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The only cane rod I've ever liked the look and feel of was/is a short spinning rod (7 foot). Not at all heavy (as its not very long), a great action and going by its many many years of use, very robust. Not a clue what make it is, but its owner (vagabond) might.

I made it myself in the 1950s from genuine Arundinaria amabilis bamboo (the name means "lovely bamboo") Even cycled from Crowborough to Hythe (and back!) to fetch the bamboos from J.B.Walker.

Split the bamboo myself, planed six triangular strips (correction, planed umpteen nearly triangular strips until I got six to fit as a hexagon. :wallbash: )

The bottom joint was easy, but the top was a nightmare before I got it right. Vowed never to build from scratch again !!

Always bought ready-built split-bamboo blanks after that. Bob Southgate's blanks whenever possible.

So mine is a one-off.

The big advantage of split-bamboo when spinning is its steeliness - all the glass/carbon/boron/Kevlar/thelmite/Mr Spockite rods I have ever handled are too soft in the tip to give that hook-setting jolt when a trout hits the lure. My little trout spinning rod has caught several thousand trout in its sixty-odd years of use, plus a few other assorted preds.

BTW I was using a split bamboo rod for spinning on my last trip (although a longer one than that you are referring to)

If someone offered me £10,000 for my little trout spinning rod I would refuse.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Why not see if Phone is nice enough to "gift" you one from stateside?

That way at least you'll avoid import duty and tax. My buddy stateside is often tapped for gift posting me stuff! Lol!

The above is not very good advice at all, defrauding the crown can lead to jail time or hefty fines.

2. Postal packages imported (arriving) from countries outside the EU 2.1 Does the sender have to declare the goods?

Yes. Under international postal agreements the sender must complete a customs declaration (form CN22 or CN23) which in most cases should be fixed to the package. The declaration includes a description of the goods, the value and whether they are gifts or commercial items. Any Post Office abroad should be able to give advice to the sender.

Under customs law, you as the importer are legally responsible for the information on the declaration; therefore it is in your own interest to ensure, wherever possible, that the sender abroad completes the declaration accurately and in full.

If no declaration is made, or the information is inaccurate, the package may be delayed while the Border Force make further enquiries, or in some cases the package and its contents may be returned to the sender or seized by the Border Force.

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

• customs duty
  • excise duty
  • import VAT

and must be paid whether:

• you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
  • the goods are new or used (including antiques)
  • the goods are for your private use or for re-sale
2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?
  • Commercial consignments i.e goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT.

Note: This does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters; these items are excluded from the relief of duty and VAT at import.

In addition, commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from any relief of import VAT.

• If you are sent a gift with a value of £40* or less, which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT. Gifts of alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits shown in paragraph 2.5, while gifts of perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits in paragraph 2.6.*Please note this limit will reduce to £36 with effect from 1 January 2013.
  • Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

In summary:

Goods Value*

Customs Charges applicable

£0.01 to £15

• No customs duty
  • No Import VAT**

£15.01 to £135

• No customs duty
  • Import VAT due

£135.01 and greater

• Customs duty due, but waived if the amount calculated due is less than £9
  • Import VAT due

*Excludes the following goods: alcohol; tobacco products; perfumes and toilet waters. These items do not benefit from the relief of customs duty or VAT at import, and alcohol and tobacco products will also be liable to excise duty.

**Commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from relief of import VAT.

There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you should contact the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) Excise and Customs Helpline on Tel 0845 010 9000 for further information.

2.4 Gifts

Goods sent as a gift that are over £40* in value are liable to import VAT Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

*Please note this limit will reduce to £36 with effect from 1 January 2013.

To qualify as a gift:

• the customs declaration must be completed correctly
  • the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
  • there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly by anyone in the UK
  • the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary

Note: if you purchase something from outside the EU to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not addressed to that person, it is treated as a ‘commercial consignment’ for which the import VAT relief threshold in paragraph 2.3 applies.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Ken

I have been thinking and if you wanted a very good (as good as the GL3 by all accounts) custom rod then Guides and Blanks are selling American MHX spinning blanks for very good prices.

MHX is Mudhole tackle's own brand (Mudhole is the biggest rod building supplier in the world allegedly) I have never built on one but I am a member of a US rod building forum and many top US rod builders are using them and say they compare favourably with Loomis, in fact the story is that they are built on the same mandrels as the old Loomis IMX which was a step up from the GL3

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/MHX-Spinning-Casting-Rod-Blanks/MHX-SJ783-2-MHX-Spin-Jig-Rod-Blank

You could have a sweet little rod with cork handles, fuji reel seat and PacBay minima rings for less than £60.00 and as they are based in UK no import worries.

MHX blanks have a limited life time warranty.

Well worth thinking about IMO.

I am looking at a slightly heavier blank for Bass plugging

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The above is not very good advice at all, defrauding the crown can lead to jail time or hefty fines.

2. Postal packages imported (arriving) from countries outside the EU 2.1 Does the sender have to declare the goods?

Yes. Under international postal agreements the sender must complete a customs declaration (form CN22 or CN23) which in most cases should be fixed to the package. The declaration includes a description of the goods, the value and whether they are gifts or commercial items. Any Post Office abroad should be able to give advice to the sender.

Under customs law, you as the importer are legally responsible for the information on the declaration; therefore it is in your own interest to ensure, wherever possible, that the sender abroad completes the declaration accurately and in full.

If no declaration is made, or the information is inaccurate, the package may be delayed while the Border Force make further enquiries, or in some cases the package and its contents may be returned to the sender or seized by the Border Force.

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

• customs duty
  • excise duty
  • import VAT

and must be paid whether:

• you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
  • the goods are new or used (including antiques)
  • the goods are for your private use or for re-sale
2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?
  • Commercial consignments i.e goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT.

Note: This does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters; these items are excluded from the relief of duty and VAT at import.

In addition, commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from any relief of import VAT.

• If you are sent a gift with a value of £40* or less, which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT. Gifts of alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits shown in paragraph 2.5, while gifts of perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits in paragraph 2.6.*Please note this limit will reduce to £36 with effect from 1 January 2013.
  • Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

In summary:

Goods Value*

Customs Charges applicable

£0.01 to £15

• No customs duty
  • No Import VAT**

£15.01 to £135

• No customs duty
  • Import VAT due

£135.01 and greater

• Customs duty due, but waived if the amount calculated due is less than £9
  • Import VAT due

*Excludes the following goods: alcohol; tobacco products; perfumes and toilet waters. These items do not benefit from the relief of customs duty or VAT at import, and alcohol and tobacco products will also be liable to excise duty.

**Commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from relief of import VAT.

There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you should contact the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) Excise and Customs Helpline on Tel 0845 010 9000 for further information.

2.4 Gifts

Goods sent as a gift that are over £40* in value are liable to import VAT Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

*Please note this limit will reduce to £36 with effect from 1 January 2013.

To qualify as a gift:

• the customs declaration must be completed correctly
  • the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
  • there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly by anyone in the UK
  • the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary

Note: if you purchase something from outside the EU to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not addressed to that person, it is treated as a ‘commercial consignment’ for which the import VAT relief threshold in paragraph 2.3 applies.

yeesh..warn someone before you spout such tripe on here! i nearly fell into a coma!!

read the first bit and then thought....really? really?

like anybody really cares!!

yeesh..warn someone before you spout such tripe on here! i nearly fell into a coma!!

read the first bit and then thought....really? really?

like anybody really cares!!

Such tripe as you put it puts food on my family table (and bait on my hook).

I have been in the import/export industry over twenty years and the law is the law.

There are people who care - alot of them, belive me, I deal with these people on a day to day basis and if they get a sniff of anyone defrauding the crown...

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Such tripe as you put it puts food on my family table (and bait on my hook).

I have been in the import/export industry over twenty years and the law is the law.

There are people who care - alot of them, belive me, I deal with these people on a day to day basis and if they get a sniff of anyone defrauding the crown...

I've deleted my post as it may have caused upset....to Rudd.

Also it's Kens thread i'm spoiling...sorry Ken.

Edited by Tigger

No worries.

I have arranged a few tackle orders via friends in the US before now in order to avoid the Bass Pro/Cabelas' 40% international shipping charges.

Doing this also reduces your chances of getting hit for VAT which is a certainty if you are ordering through Bass Pro/Cabelas as they and their couriers provide HMRC with an itemised inventory.

Of course, when asking friends or family to post stuff over, you could ask them to misrepresent the value of what they are sending over to avoid tax, but this risks punitive measures if you're caught and if there is a problem requiring an insurance claim, you will obviously not be getting the real value of your goods back.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.