Taking the plunge...

Piperspruce

Ok, so I have decided to take a punt on the TFG classic centre pin. Any advice from the experienced users out there? Do you think I would benefit from the optional extra line guard?

I have to say, I'm quite excited about it. Looking forward to the challenge and the chance to improve my knot unlocking skills!

Forget the line guard, the times that it'll be useful will be far outweighed by the times it'll be a pain. If it was free with the reel then ok you'd be able to decide for yourself but if it's extra cost then don't bother.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I'm no lover of lineguards but they do help to stop the line going round the back of the foot in windy conditions. They're not much good if you need to wallise cast but you can still manage it if the line guard is a bickerdyke (I think the TFG guard might be ok actually).

As Chris says, if it comes included with the reel that's great but I wouldn't buy one as an extra.

If there is a removable line guard, my advice is to remove it !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I've never liked using a line guard, but on a couple of 'designated pin rods' I whipped another butt ring on, between the handle, and the bottom ring. This helped in a few ways, one is that I have another ring to make a casting loop with, and with my line coming from the top of the pin, it also helps prevent big loops forming around the reel seat. I now take a couple of butt rings with me, and can make a temporary fix on any rod, using a couple of elastic bands. The ring doesn't take any strain, so they only have to hold the ring in place while fishing.

(anyone thinking of making 'butt ring' jokes, can join Andy at the back of the class, facing the wall).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've never liked using a line guard, but on a couple of 'designated pin rods' I whipped another butt ring on, between the handle, and the bottom ring. This helped in a few ways, one is that I have another ring to make a casting loop with, and with my line coming from the top of the pin, it also helps prevent big loops forming around the reel seat. I now take a couple of butt rings with me, and can make a temporary fix on any rod, using a couple of elastic bands. The ring doesn't take any strain, so they only have to hold the ring in place while fishing.

(anyone thinking of making 'butt ring' jokes, can join Andy at the back of the class, facing the wall).

John.

Hadnt even crossed my mind!

So is it a matter of personal choice as to whether the line comes off the top or bottom of the spool?