Ban drinking whilst angling!

Peter Waller

I have some mates who's idea of night fishing is a full on barbie, 8 cans of lager and a few spliffs.

At least they wind their rods in when they go to bed and clean up after themselves when leaving.

They wonder how I catch more than them? I may have a can or two but fish all night and am up at the crack of dawn five or six hours before them!!!!!!!!!!

I would say a few beers or glasses of wine is ok but thats it.

I would not feel safe getting a screamer at 2.45am in total darkness while half cut.

What about cannabis resin and weed?

On the last Trimley carp lakes allnighter 16 out of 16 anglers were smoking pot!!!!!!!!!!

And none of the buggers offered me a toke!!!!!!!! :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::P:P

[ 13. June 2005, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't mention pot on here rudd, some of the less tolerant members of the forum get their knickers in a twist at the mere mention of it!!!

yeah man, Jon's right...

Stick to drugs - such as alcohol - which makes most people want to kill each other - and leave that nasty weed, which makes people want to be friendly with each other - well alone...

Rudd, do you worship the devil? :D :cool:

[ 13. June 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: awaaar ]

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I think it is more down to the anglers than the alcohol itself. When I do a couple of nights with my mate, wherever it is, we always take a few beers, especially now the warmer weather is with us. There's nothing better than sitting outside the bivvy and having a couple of beers as the sun sets (hope that doesn't sound too camp!). We never start shouting etc. and make sure that the tinnies go straight into the bin liner, not leaving them strwen around the bank until morning. Unfortunately I have witnessed the other side of it, where some people find it necessary to make as much noise as possible with portable CD players etc. blaring out and generally making themselves look like a bunch of t**ts who've just had their first pint. I think it would be a shame for the majority of decent-minded anglers who like a couple of beers on the bankside if this was banned because of a minority of inconsiderate anglers but I wouldn't criticise the fisheries because at the end of the day, fish, fishery and fisherman safety is paramount.

Drinking whilst fishing (in moderation is fine). I am more intrigued into who would police a ban??

My understanding is the EA don't have any legal powers (i.e. a baliff cannot arrest you, search you or force you to take a breath test) - in fact - Are baliffs even allowed to confiscate fishing tackle when someone fishes in closed season illegally (I don't think they are - might be wrong)?

The police! Biggest joke I've ever heard. They see more value in hiding behind bloody trees and roadsigns nabbing speeders.

Fishery owners - Hmm, I wouldn't challenge a bunch of drunk lads near a lake (would you?). Also the VAST majority of waters need more anglers (not less) so commercial pressure would probably mean most clubs are forced to take a lenient view on such things.

The subject does lend itself to a good legal challenge though. What if a drunk falls into a lake and injures himself? Sure, he's a feck'n idiot, but these days unless you had big signs with 'no alcohol', strictly enforced any such rule (by supervising and pointing it out to the punters) COUPLED with the state of most fishery paths (trees, muddy walkways, many lakes you go 'down' to get to the swims) - the drunk could well have a case against the owner!!!

Ian W

quote:

- Anglers could be supplied with a 24ht bailif number to call. If somebody does behave in the wrong way and it is believed to be due to alcohol the bailif could arrive, accompanied by a policeman who will take his fishing lisence off him and take whatever necessary action. The lisence can then be sent to the E/A who can ban this person from ever being allowed a lisence again.
unfortunatly the free permit we get as bailiffs dont stipulate working hours :rolleyes: i have been called out several times after 10pm usually because the angler has mislaid his key to the gate and one time to eject a non member who decided to turn up with a barbie and radio ,even taking into consideration the measerly amount of fuel i use bailiffing on my honda90 comes over a year to more than the cost of a permit its worth the effort.

why?? are we stupid to put up with the crap we on occasion have to put up with or fill our dustbins with your rubbish ?bugger knows but spending a few minutes talking to a member and getting compliments on a litter free pond (not only members but many walkers on the greensand way) makes it worthwile ,so long as club members remember bailiffs dont make the rules only enforce them and bailiffs inturn realise that rules can be bent ever so slightly if it causes no problems to anyone life is sweet .

both bailiffs and members not bending causes the most hassel ,bailiffs find stubborn anglers arguing over the fine points and members finding jobsworth bailiffs (pumped up with self importance)doing the same, both cause friction.

i despite my ramblings on here am pretty bendy (no i dont touch toes for anyone) you treat me ok and the fat man exudes good humour but in the end fishing finishes if the fat man sings :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Severn Wolf:

You poor sods.

Not one tale about the joys of having a few beers and a damn good laugh WITHOUT disturbing anyone else. I don`t sesh fish without a few beers or some wine, I`m there to relax and if a few drinks do that then so much the better. If the club banned it then I`d move to other waters.

My sentiments exactly.

chesters1:

already got a ban on F.A.S and chucked a bloke off yesterday for being stupid enough to have a can showing when a very visible bailiff came round ,he left no problem when i said it wouldnt go further ,had he argued he would have lost his permit.

i havent a problem with a can or two but please be clever enough to put it in a coke bottle or something or at least in your bag :rolleyes:

the ban was brought in when a few (and i mean a few) anglers were noticed to take their beer crate first to their swim before everything else and proceed to be naughty spoiling it for others .

as useual the few inconsiderate ruin it for the majority :rolleyes:

This isn't a dig at you Chesters (rather club commitees in general) but would it not have been more sensible to ban the inconsiderate few rather than spoil it for everyone?

Then again, Common Sense rarely shines through where Clubs are concerned. Too many Little Hitlers.

[ 14. June 2005, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Rob Ward ]

"Then again, Common Sense rarely shines through where Clubs are concerned. Too many Little Hitlers."

here here

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields