What are you reading at the moment?

doc_tench

Thanks, John, a very interesting link.

I'm not a big fan of science fantasy myself, although I can appreciate why many like it. What I do object to though is the use of the term "science". A friend and fellow sci-fi buff once commented that the sellers of science fantasy ought to be prosecuted under the Trades' Descriptions Act! I can see what he means.

On a more practical note it's annoying in secondhand bookshops to have to search through a load of fantasy to find real science fiction. These days very little sci-fi is written, with the market seemingly gobbling up any amount of fantasy. Turning Lord of the Rings into a film has probably prolonged the wait for hard sci-fi, as even those capable of writing it have turned to fantasy for monetary reasons.

My own favourite sci-fi authors include Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Poul Anderson, Larry Niven, Fred Hoyle and Ben Nova. I'm especially keen on future histories, things that could well happen in the years to come.

Of the more modern books I very much enjoyed the Mars series from Kim Stanley Robinson, plus the odd other novel of his.

Can anyone recommend any other "hard" sci-fi authors?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, I think my preferences are for the fantasy stuff although I like books with a concept of a completely different way of living in different conditions,not sure if they are always hard sci-fi.

I can't get on with Asimov at all,but have read most of Ben Bova's books and a fair few of Heinlein and Larry Niven.Some you might like to try are Stephen Donaldsons Gap series,Robert Silverberg, Peter F Hamilton-The Reality Dysfunction.

I've got to go to the library again soon, I'll try and note a few more you might not have seen,my memory won't work any better than that at the moment.

Silverberg I do like. Donaldson I haven't tried whilst Hamilton is a new name to me. Thanks, John, I'll search them out now.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

little onions:

Thankyou. Our singing teacher (a 2,000 year-old

Rottweiler of a woman), managed to get a class of 40 seven year olds singing this. Of course, that was in the days when teachers could resort to violence! :(

What music did you sing it to? I only know this as a poem, not as a song.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Poolboy:

Has anyone read any of Tad Williams novels?

Is that the "Otherland" series of books or have I got my authors mixed up?

If it is Otherland, I found all that virtual reality really does your head in at times.

doc_tench:

What is it about Harry Potter :confused: Please somebody explain to me.

Just good writing, an entertaining story, pure escapism and fun!

Harry Potter might have been intended for kids originally, but when you look at the numbers of books sold, it is quite obvious that people of all age groups are buying them. While my wife didn't queue to get our copy of the latest Harry Potter book on Saturday, she bought it well before mid-day. I hope that I am never too old to enjoy writing that is so entertaining, no matter who it is written for. :)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

quote:

Originally posted by davidP:

A good well written story is still a good well written story whether it's aimed at kids or adults. [/QB]

Absolutely, I don't think that you can begin to appreciate the brilliance of Richmal Compton's "William" books until you are an adult!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

chevin:

chevin:

What is it about Harry Potter :confused: Please somebody explain to me.

Just good writing, an entertaining story, pure escapism and fun!

Harry Potter might have been intended for kids originally, but when you look at the numbers of books sold, it is quite obvious that people of all age groups are buying them. While my wife didn't queue to get our copy of the latest Harry Potter book on Saturday, she bought it well before mid-day. I hope that I am never too old to enjoy writing that is so entertaining, no matter who it is written for. :)

Well its been explained to me by my Daughter, wife,Mother, boss,next door neighbour,man from over the road at number 20 and a bus driver on a number 367, so i have promised my daughter i will start to read them.

I guess its just that Fantasy books just are not me(well not those kind anyway ) although i have read "Lord of the Rings" and could not leave it alone :confused: )

What a great success story its been for J.K Rowling though, a real "Rags to Riches" story and long may she continue! :)