Should we join forces with the Countryside Alliance?

Peter Waller

j_s:

Oh and I wish those that do support the hunts stop using carp excuses of why it should be kept, the only reason is that they enjoy it.

And you go fishing why?

I have just caught this thread and a lot of it is comes across as the misinformed cr@p that the antis spout all the time.

The CA is for all country pursuits and believe or not angling is one of them. Yes it is associated with fox hunting at the moment because fox hunting is banned and they are trying to put pressure on the right people to overturn this ban.

The turnip people of the UK are quite happy that this ban has happened and will also be happy as the antis turn there attention to shooting, killing animals for pleasure, and fishing, hurting animals for pleasure.

You have seen the fox getting ripped to shreds, screaming in agony but have you seen the Eel getting cut in half as it wriggles about or any of the other supposedly everyday occurences on every fishing trip.

The CA have a loud voice, we need a loud voice not some whisper that can't agree with itself.

For those that use the "I don't want to be associated with fox hunting" too late in the eyes of many of the public we already are.

Mark

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go fishing because I enjoy it Mark, simple as.

This is surely the only reason those who hunt do it.

I have therefore said nothing wrong? I am tired of the other lame excuses those who support hunting with dogs use. If am I questioned because I go fishing and I am asked why I do, the answer will be the same as I said above, I enjoy it. I cannot offer anything else to support what I do.

I don't go fishing to support the angling industry.

I don't go fishing to protect our water ways

I don't go fishing to keep the numbers of certain species down.

Some of the above may sound silly but it's true.

[ 18. February 2005, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: j_s ]

James

Guest sslatter

NorthernMark: "I have just caught this thread and a lot of it is comes across as the misinformed cr@p that the antis spout all the time."

Misinformed crap? Read on..

NorthernMark: "The CA is for all country pursuits and believe or not angling is one of them."

Ummm.. I'd beg to differ on that one: it's a "pursuit" that MAY take place in the country, you know, just like running, or playing football, but try telling the towndwelling angler that he's indulging in a country pursuit when he's down the local cut in Wandsworth, or the sea angler when he's out fishing the Concrete Sofa.

NorthernMark: "Yes it is associated with fox hunting at the moment because fox hunting is banned and they are trying to put pressure on the right people to overturn this ban."

It's associated with foxhunting at the moment due to the activities of such organisations as the CA and its supporters, who assert the lie that angling and foxhunting are bedfellows, supported by ill-informed scaremongering posters such as yourself, who just seem to want to stir up trouble wherever they go, IMO.

Just my opinion.

[ 18. February 2005, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Graham. X ]

Graham

If I a misinformed scaremonger where did the article in the Independant comparing angling and fox hunting come from?

Ok so your angling is not a country persuit, I choose to fish in the country so mine is. Sorry but you lost me there.

I am not trying to stir up trouble wherever I go either. I would just like anglers such as yourself to understand that angling is going to be targeted and the possibility of some ban or limit to the type of fishing we do is very real.

It doesn't matter how much money is made from angling or if the waterways go to ruin, these people will not care.

Angling needs a unified voice maybe not the CA but if not them then who.

Please tell me you do have another body in mind to represent us, and one that we have heard of please.

JS never said you did anything wrong.

I too go fishing because I enjoy it.

Mark

OK

You don't like Charles Jardine and the CA

BUT

He does get publicity and alright he does claim to get things done but if wasn't taking the credit for these things would we all be as aware of them.

Angling has some very good people working in the background but we need to push angling and it's benefits out to the general public.

Tell them about how much we pay to the EA to improve water quality, ask them if they are willing to make up that shortfall if angling gets banned or restricted.

Show them angling is getting kids off the streets and giving them some respect for the enviroment.

But as usual anglers will do nothing because angling will never be banned because ............

And anyone saying different is scaremongering.

Mark

For various reasons I think angling so keep at more than arms' length from the CA.

Firstly, FACT must be given a chance to represent angling. A cot death serves no use whatever.

Secondly, people's memories aren't sufficiently short to have forgotten the rabbelasian behaviour at the CA march on Westminster where the world and his wife showed standards of conduct rather like the poll tax riots...the CA's response was pretty much to justify what happened.

Thirdly, the invasion of the House of Commons and the flour throwing episode. I accept that as individuals the targets deserved all they got, but the done thing is to use due process, which is in this case a ballot box. I didn't see the CA accepting this line of thought and as such I couldn't support them.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Personally I dont have a moral objection to the CA and angling being associated with country sport. However on a tactical level I do.

Whether we fish, shoot, hunt, collect shelfish on the shore, eat meat, keep a pet or wear leather shoes we all use animals in some way or other. Where we draw the line on this is an emotional rather than rational argument and so in the future when angling comes under fire it will be from emotional and not rational arguments.

In the eyes of much of the public the CAA are too heavily associated with something, that they, for what ever reason do not like and see as barbaric, some also see them in the light of class predjudices. I dont agree with this but enough people out there do and for that reason alone I think that we may be better of keeping our distance.

I know some may think that this is the wrong way to go about things but I will prefer to be a pragmatic angler than a principled ex-angler.

Northern Mark, you attack what you see as 'crap' by writing yet more crap! Hardly good arguement!

I can't see, in practical terms, how angling can ever be banned. My own house deeds, for example, clearly show me as having the the right to fish my local, tidal water. It is a right, as is a right of way, and one I would fight to retain in the highest court, as would thousands of others. Banning angling would be an absolute minefield.

Guest sslatter

This is just getting plain silly. Can any of you pro-hunters tell me how any proposed ban on angling would be policed? Because I can't see it happening, a ban would be totally unworkable and un-policeable..

Think about it.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

I can't see, in practical terms, how angling can ever be banned. My own house deeds, for example, clearly show me as having the the right to fish my local, tidal water. It is a right, as is a right of way, and one I would fight to retain in the highest court, as would thousands of others. Banning angling would be an absolute minefield. [/QB]

"Sporting Rights" are a valuable part of the total worth of a piece of land. Hunting took place on private land as well as public but it's now banned. Ostrich anglers or not!

Tim