Free spaces 14th July

spasor

Trip on the 14th went well.

It started with meeting Jim Roper on the quay will a bag full of fish baits, that he`d caught from Abbotsbury over night. Shortly after Onions and Mick arrived. After a long wait (breakfast booked for 6.30) we got into the `Sailors` for a much needed coffee and breakfast.

SandTiger arrived a tad late,(he was sleeping off the drink upstairs!) He looked like a poster from an anti-drink campaign?

What the hell. We boarded the boat and went fishing?

The fishing wasn`t up to much. Just one of those days?

But Mick Onions caught a decent reef conger going on 25lbs. We managed a few black bream and the obligatory doggies and pout.

I, however caught the fish of the day!!!!!

A 2lb mackeral, fairly caught on a baited hook. It`s been entered on a skippers monthly comp`!!

As soon as it came over the side, the skipper shouted "Paul! Don`t throw it back". It seems July is mackeral month. ( Some skippers from around the country have a competition. Every month a different species is nominated for a fair catch? Colin Penny of Flamer won Mays` comp with an angler catching a 45lb conger.)

Unfortunately Onions blanked. I`m sure we`ll put that right next trip. There will be a next trip! It was hard to drag myself away from the bar in `The Sailors Return`, to drive home.

I hadn`t fished with rahferet( Bob Hill), SandTiger( Davey) or seen Jim Roper for several months! Another 2 of the group, were fishing pals I`d not seen in a while?

You know you`re with friends, when they abuse you freely and can take it back.

Little Onions? You`re on my Christmas card list!

I`ll put a little more thought into the next trip. Book, well in advance and provide accomodation for those that need to travell any distance? No SandTiger. That doesn`t mean you.

:P:P Paul. :P:P

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you all had a great time even though the fishing wasn't the best (apart from the 2lb mack ).

What I would really like to know is.....did anyone chuck their guts up? :P

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

little onions:

Wish I had a photo of the expressions on the faces of the locals in 'The Sailor's Return' as Davey and I introduced ourselves,

"Sandtiger?"

"Yes. Hallo Little Onions".

I believe we may have been suspected of odd Masonic goings on.

Reminds me of a local Crown Court case some 20 years ago when illicit CB radios were in use.

No one's real name was mentioned, mainly because nobody knew each others' real names, and because the chap pleaded guilty to a lesser offence, only CB handles were read out in court.

'Bubbly Anne' (16) had been given a lift by 'Ploughboy' to a party at 'Tiny Tim's' place on Portland.

In the morning 'Bubbly Anne', in great distress, rang her sister, 'Motown Lady' from a call box, claiming that 'Tiny Tim' had raped her. 'Motown Lady' called 'White Knight', who was on his way to work on a fishing boat in Weymouth harbour, on the CB radio, and he recued the damsel in distress. At this point in the story as it was told in court, the judge asked if 'White Knight' was in shining armour.

I think that the fact that 'Bubbly Anne' had made a statement that included 2 sides of foolscap of names of people she had had carnal knowledge of, and the fact that she has undressed herself and was on top of 'Tiny Tim' during the alleged rape, may have had something to do with the rape charge being dropped in favour of indecent assault.

All this was reported in the press without a real name being mentioned.

[ 16. July 2003, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Im glad to hear you all had a nice trip, :) what a shame that little onions never caught anything, :( I know that feeling O too well. Never mind, as Spasor says there will be another trip, hopefully Mr Feathers and I will be able to join you all on the next one. :)

Are there any pics of the trip ?

No, Ant, nobody chucked their guts up. I reckon a good breakfast helps prevent sea-sickness. I posted on non-fishing chat under the 'too hot' topic because the tops of my arms got a bit burnt, I should probably have put it on here, there are references to the outstanding bladder control of all on board :D I was even accused of being a lady which provoked a mirthful guffaw and unfair private response from Mr. Onions

Apparently Sandtiger's fish bloodied shirt caused some angst from Weymouth's clothing retailers when he went off to buy a t-shirt after the trip. He looked mean moody and magnificent, and was smelling like he'd had an 'interesting' day, too! :D

Spasor, I'm honoured! We didn't feel like leaving the pub either...did it show? :D

Maybe next trip we could book into The Sailor's too for a spot of pre-fishing sport.

Help me unhook these, please.

little onions:

I reckon a good breakfast helps prevent sea-sickness.

Absolutely! I've been saying that for years, but most of the "experts" say otherwise.

Glad to hear y'all enjoyed the day despite few fish.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Jim Roper:

Reminds me of a local Crown Court case some 20 years ago when illicit CB radios were in use.

This is OT I know, but it is another amusing anecdote concerning CB radio. There was a period of time during which CB operators in Sydney, (Aus) were just broadcasting streams of obscene language. They weren't saying anything - just swearing non-stop. The police were unable to catch any of those responsible so some radio experts from the navy were seconded to help out. They drove around in vans equipped with RDF gear and quickly located some of the foul mouthed yobbos who the police prosecuted. As is expected these days, the magistrates let them off with a slap on the wrist which annoyed the naval guys, (one of whom was a friend of mine), no end. They were working nights to catch those guys and they didn't particularly want to do that. Anyway, after the magistrates had let off a few of the offenders, the naval guys decided to do something about it. They would go out, pin point some one swearing over the air, wait until he stopped and then transmit a signal of over a kilowatt directly at that radio. The offensive broadcaster would then watch his radio become a pile of junk which would never transmit again. It didn't take long before the message got through to them and the practice soon ceased!

:D:D

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

The next trip will be on a Friday? It will not be free, just cut price. It depends on what skipper I can get?

But why don`t we arrange a regular trip?

We seem to be mostly in the South or North of England. Scotland and Holland are off the map!!

I can always get a boat out of Brighton for next to nothing mid-week. The James Bros out of Minehead are good for a small crew.

Surely we could manage a few trips every year?

:cool: Paul. :cool:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

spasor:

The next trip will be on a Friday?

And why is that?

Pity I caught that bait. I'm sure Onions would have enjoyed feeling a string mackerel hit her feathers down along west side.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net