Digital Cameras

kendo

Jim Murray:

Just a thought - have recently read a Which? report on digital cameras, the main complaint was that a large number of them had up to a 2 second delay between pressing the button and the shutter operating!! Just wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Jim.

This is so with all digital cameras, although they are getting faster. For instance with the Canon A80 it's just under a second, which is still a bit slower than a 35mm autofocus camera. Non-autofocus cameras are faster still.

Having said that, I don't find it a problem for fishing photos - you soon get used to standing still a moment longer.

For me, the biggest advantage of a digital camera is that I know I've got a good, in-focus, properly exposed picture before returning the fish. :) In the past I'd had passers by cutting my head or half the fish off, or taking wobbly pictures!

Even worse was having a film containing a personal best lost by Boots. The dolly bird assistant suggested I take the photos again with a complimentary film she gave me! :mad:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to get shots of pheasant shooting in action.

The autofocus delay often means that the birds have gone by before the shot is taken.

Press the release to qick and the picture seems to be too dark.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

automatic is a bit of a mix ,try turning it to manual

although mine only goes to iso 400 its faster and ofcourse you will have to pre focus ,its time to study that handbook :)

the most annoying thing for me is the time it takes to save the shot and the innability to take another when it is 4secs at 4mp

[ 16. December 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Norrie:

Alan, if you want a couple of pairs, let me know, I'll post them over...B&Q are doing two pairs and the charger for about £15.00. :D

Norrie, I have the book out and it says "Alkaline or NiMh batteries type AA are suitable for use with this device" so if the ones that you have seen are AA yes please with the charger. Let me know (asap) the total including the postage and I will try and get a cheque off before we go to Egypt. You could wrap the charger in the gloves :D

Did I mention that we are going to Egypt :confused: :P

I don't know about May, just waiting for Davy to reply to an email.

Cheers for all the tips lads.

Alan(nl)

Oops, gloves and stamps just arrived :D

[ 17. December 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Re the delay in taking a picture, I'd add that the Canon A80 has the option of manual focussing which should speed things up if you need it, although I've yet to try this. You can also set it to take several shots a second, rather like a motor-driven 35mm camera. However, you can't do this with flash as it takes a few seconds for the flash to recharge.

I almost always use flash when taking fishing photos, even in daylight. Some cameras call this setting fill-in flash. I find that trophy shots are then much better. There's no need for flash of course on pure scenic shots.

Using flash for trophy shots means I have to hold still until the main flash fires anyway, so on reflection that's why I don't find the shutter lag any problem then.

Both film and digital cameras have their pros and cons. I use both according to the circumstances, but am using digital more and more. In fact Peggy and I are going out tomorrow just to take photos and we're both taking just digitals!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi Alan, The batteries are indeed AA, I will get them this week and post them ASAP. I dont think you will get them for Xmas, but will surely be there for your return.Yes...you did mention going to Egypt once or ten times... :D . Hope the gloves do, I actually have a pair like the ones you have on Davey B's site pics(very good too), I get them for 60p-£1 a pair in Glasgow...depending where I go for them.

While in Egypt,could you get me a sticker or two... :rolleyes:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Norrie:

I actually have a pair like the ones you have on Davey B's site pics(very good too), I get them for 60p-£1 a pair in Glasgow...depending where I go for them.

While in Egypt,could you get me a sticker or two... :rolleyes:

Did you like the series of pictures, they were taken by Sonja with my digital camera, good eh

I will see what I can find in the way of stickers while I am in EGYPT for christmas and New Year, did I mention that we would be there for New Year as well :confused: :P:D

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

This is a good site for digital cameras. You can list by make or price and there are good reviews with links to professional reviews.

Personally I haven't gone digital yet because I love 35 mm, but every year I nearly do. This year I've been very tempted by the 3.0 Mp Minolta Dimage Xt which has the 3X folded zoom lens housed completely inside the case and is very small. The X20 is cheaper 2.0 megapixels and uses AA's instead of the Lithium battery, but it still has the folded optics zoom lens.

the Xt does look excellent, but if you love 35mm so much, maybe you should look at one of the SLR style cameras around, they give you much more manual control