cod fishing (help)

basshead07

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all ...

Apologies to Basshead .. and acceptance of a slap on the wrist from the good Newt. (Grovel,Grovel)

We were not taking the p*ss. Honest. We just like to keep a jovial theme running through our input if we can !!!

Basshead ..

Cod are getting harder to find, and you will usually have a better chance of a good fish if you fish the colder waters. Hence the comments about moving North. Shore-caught Cod are getting rarer. But don't be put off or disheartened.

There is no magic formula for catching fish. It usually involves a lot of work and effort. That's what makes fishing so interesting. When you get into a decent fish then that is your reward for the time and trouble that that you have put in.

Listen to the good advice offered on this Forum, and from other fishermen. Do not be afaid to try your own baits or fishing spots.

I personally fish for Cod "Up North". I am just packing my kit for a trip "Darn Sowf". I'm going to look at various sites around the south coast, including places like the Cornwall ports and Chesil Beach.

You never know .. I might get into a decent Cod !!

Tight Lines ....

The Older I get .. The better I was.

John E Ashford:

I suggest that you look up in a Dictionary and Thesaurus the words none / All

John E - sorry about that. The useage would have been easily understood over here in the colonies but language use isn't universal and I should have remembered that. To clarify my intended meaning in that context:

none (of the people reading this thread who are registered and are willing to post)

(To) All (who are reading this thread with the obvious exceptions of the poster who started the thread and the poster who is replying)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Im quite surprised at all the wind up answers to someone genuinly wanting help!

Ive never fished for cod in your area, but from what i know, and what i have done in cod fishing;

Stock up on lots of baits now while you can, the best chance you will have of getting a cod is from october through febuary. Ide advice not to fish on your own iether. The best cod fishing is into darkness. Choose a big tide, and go when its a big sea, but better stil, just as the sea kis dying away (lots of couler in the water!) Big smally baits.... Whole squid, handfulls of various shellfish abnd fishbaits will all work in the right conditions. Remember down your way nowadays you will be fishing for that one big fish, not likely to get a good bag... Use a 4/0 pennel rig.... All ranges will get cod in the right conditions.

[ 09. September 2005, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Spur-Hound ]

Tight Lines

Shaun

No problem and no apologies needed Newt, another day and I would just have laughed.

At least it has had a positive result and the lad is getting the info he was asking for, from ALL.

Keep up the good work. :)

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

been out tonight to a mark near spurn (holderness coast)

2nd chuck i had a slack line bite resulting in a cod of a little over 2lb

sea was rough tho

just goes to show u dont need it to be winter on some beaches to catch cod but you need the rough sea : O)

Septemeber can be as productive as any of the following months although the bigger fish tend not to show untill later in the year. DEspite that I know of fish to 20 pounds in septemeber in very recent years. Scarborough and filey festivals have produced fish well into double figures for as long as I car to remember.

I hope my dinner plate comment was not taken badly, whilst light hearted it did have a serious point.

A lot of experienced anglers, well regular anglers try to hedge their bets when fishing for cod and use a small hook size.

This mainly happens on marks where cod are few and far between, but a small hook is a waste of time.

On a mixed mark as previously stated two rods, one for cod and one to target whiting and flats.

Cod marks differ a lot throughout the UK and I read with interest about kelp marks and rocky marks.

Here I fish deep water estuary marks with clean or shale/mussel bed bottoms.

Over the clean ground I fish the heavy rod uptide using a gripper lead and the lighter rod down tide.

Over the what I call semi-rough I fish a flat lead which nestles into the shale and mussels, line chafe can be a problem. The flat weight is designed to lift when pressure is applied and touch wood I loose very little tackle.

Big tides mean big weed so keep a close eye on your rod and set the clutch as light as possible.

As stated most cod are caught by idiots like me who go out on freezing nights in horrible weather.

So for youngsters you must go with an adult, some marks you must wear a flotation suit for saftey, you need good lighting, don't stumble around in a poorly lit situation, hot drinks like soups to keep the body heat up, and plenty of warm clothing.

Safety is mega important at all times.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

My best cod was just after the all england codling championship had finished approx half an hour after the end of the match i got a cod 20lb 3oz and that was in september on a rock mark south of whitby nice if i had caught him during the match.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

i take it my chances of a cod are very slim :( ohh well... ill keep tryin for bass and bream :) ohh and that reminds i had 3 1lb black bream today :) p.s keep tryin to give me more info about cod if possible

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D