Consultation On Bass Mls Underway

Leon Roskilly

Hello Tom

The pair trawl fishery will benifit conciderably, the french fishermen will expliot the void in less than 45cm fish on our markets.

If the BMP exstended to 12 miles it would only be slightly better, all Europe perhaps worth doing.

Why doesn't the commercial sector, perhaps you yourself Wurzel, take a proposal to the EU petition committee in Brussels to have the MLS for bass, throughout the EC, raised to 45cms?

http://www.europarl.eu.int/parliament/publ...=49&language=EN

Or will the anglers have to do that too?

Tight Lines - leon

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello leon

I will maKe it clear to the UK government through the consulting prosses that I am not happy that the BMP is being forced on just UK fishermen.

As for petitioning the comission, The commercial sector don't want or think it necessary to impliment the BMP.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Of cause they dont, as it takes out any fish below 45cm, and most target them at 36cm.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hi Peter

taken from the bass mls letter on the defra website

The legislation would also prohibit the sale, exposure or offer for sale, or possession for

the purpose of sale of bass which is less that 45cm. This would apply throughout England.[/i]

I assume this would apply to all european fisherman ? it states the landing and carriage applies to uk vessels only but not the sale .

How many foreign trawlers are we talking about and what do you base your statement on that if the BMP was extended to 12 it would only be marginaly better.

And why does the commercial sector of the fishing industry feel it isn't nessecary or doesn't want the implementation of the BMP ?

cheers

Tom

A bit like 99% of anglers then Sam

:D If it's legal why shouldn't they? As I've said before, unless you are a member of an organisation like BASS, the NMC or the NFSA you can take, legally and morally, any fish at or above the MLS. I personally fish to 45 cms or above for bass and most go back anyway, especially the large ones, but I do sometimes wonder why I am putting back fish for the next angler or netter to take. If the MLS was raised to 45 cms then I know that we'd always have a breeding stock, albeit of small fish, perhaps at the moment I'm worried that if I don't fish to 45cms we won't have a breeding stock one day. I also believe that there should be a MAXIMUM landing size to create a stock of large breeding fish, once a fish reached that size it was safe from anglers and netters for ever. :rolleyes:

Hello leon

I will maKe it clear to the UK government through the consulting prosses that I am not happy that the BMP is being forced on just UK fishermen.

As for petitioning the comission, The commercial sector don't want or think it necessary to impliment the BMP.

I think we should all make it clear to DEFRA that for it to succeed it must apply to all EU vessels. I would not want to see UK vessels restricted and an open hand given to EU boats. As the 6-12 mile limit is open to the EU member fisherman we need agreement at a European level once the UK restrictions are in place.

In regard to the petition, i think its something we anglers (and BASS/NFSA) should start thinking about - judging by the success of the saveourbass.com petition, we would have the support of many French, Belgian and Dutch Anglers.

Perhaps in the Spring we should have a rally in Brussels to present it - a bit like the Irish had for the Drift Nets.

Mark.

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

MLS - minimum LANDING size - so yes, the french pair teams won't be able to land undersized fish into the UK. However, the majority of the winter spawning fish are 45cm+ so it will make little difference. ICES stats show how good year classes are caught inshore at 36cm, but don't feature in the offshore catches for a couple more years.

Of course, it will be possible to import small bass that are landed in France, but the competition isn't really from them, it's from farmed bass. That's why small bass don't fetch as much as big ones Wurzel, competition from imported farmed fish.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

MLS - minimum LANDING size -

MLS = minimum LEGAL size -

possesssion, display, store, transport etc. ..... all undersize must be returned immediately to the sea are terms typically found. The exact definitions are found in the s.i. and the powers from the relevent sections of the enabling legislation. see http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...-mls/letter.htm

It is my reading that the proposal will NOT apply to French vessels fishing into the 6nm. limit.