Consultation On Bass Mls Underway

Leon Roskilly

Hello Tom

taken from the bass mls letter on the defra website

The legislation would also prohibit the sale, exposure or offer for sale, or possession for

the purpose of sale of bass which is less that 45cm. This would apply throughout England.

I assume this would apply to all european fisherman ? it states the landing and carriage applies to uk vessels only but not the sale .

No it only applies to UK fishermen, I am not sure if foreigne boats will be able to land direct on to UK markets , I wil find out,

They don't need to. My fish merchant buys and sells fish at Boluogne regularly.

It does not only apply to the SW winter bass fishery, Only last month I had a very large French trawler norrowly miss my drift nets on two occations, it was targeting bass on top of the off shore banks, there are two large Belguim stern trawlers that work these areas regualry, mainly for sole but they do catch bass, Beamers catch a certain amount of bass, Last summer there was a fast Dutch commercial angling boat working the off shore banks , I asked why come all this way , he said" to many boats fishing for bass on his usual spots"

I think that as the large year classes come into the fishery in the next couple of years more of these boats will target bass, so a lot of the bass that swim through my bigger meshes or I reliese from my lines will be caught and sold by these boats

I only ask for a level playing field.

And why does the commercial sector of the fishing industry feel it isn't nessecary or doesn't want the implementation of the BMP ?

Some of the above, also because there is no problem with bass stocks,

they can see that left alone they can carry on earning a living in the futrure as they have in the past. Why fix some thing that aint broke.

Farmed bass is loseing its popularity as did farmed salmon. Bass over 55 cm fetch more money, bass of 45 cm don't fetch much if any more than 36cm bass, if we wrere landing large amounts of 45cm fish the chances are the price would drop but the price of smaller fish will rise.

My persnal opinion is still the same Tom, 45 cm is a bridge to far, it will be difficult to implement or inforce, commercials and anglers alike.

the gap between us and the rest of Europe is too great.

A hundred ml and a Lms to match would be a lot easier.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Peter

Had to come back in for this one.

Why fix it if it isn't broke? Well it depends what you consider broken means I suppose. From an anglers point of view, the bass fishery is broken compared to what it used to be. I know there are more bass in certain areas now, but the average size of bass available to anglers is very small. There are the odd one or two bigger fish caught, but generally inshore bass angling has been getting progressively worse. This year has been very poor in our area. From an angling point of view the BMP in it's entirety is the way to better bass fishing for us.

Why is 45cm a bridge too far? Would 40 or 42 be any easier to implement and enforce? Is there currently a problem enforcing the 36cm MLS? And was it difficult to implement when it went up from 28cm? Obviously it will have some short term impact, but there will also be long term benefits if it's given a chance to work. I don't believe that the market for small bass will increase, but I suspect that the market for bigger bass will.

I agree that the commercial fishermen would probably continue to earn a living from 36cm bass, but I'm not convinced it would go on indefinately. For anglers though, a 36cm bass is hardly worth the trouble or expense involved to catch it. I am convinced that a truly sustainable fishery is dependant on the fish being able to spawn at least once before they are caught. The 45cm MLS will achieve this. Surely that has got to be good news for all concerned?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Yes Steve I would agree, but unlike the commercials we can see further the the end of our nose.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Steve have you caught much lately?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

but unlike the commercials we can see further the the end of our nose.

I'm not sure thats true of all anglers Sam.

On some of the many recent discussions concerning Bass, individuals have said that they are a pain, there's more than ever and they'd be glad if they didn't catch one for a few years. I think some of these anglers have either never caught a decent sized fish or have forgotten that Bass do grow bigger than 2lb's in weight.

Welcome back Steve, I hope the Consultation gets all the attention it deserves, from everyone. :)

Well mate these d*ck heads are just wrong.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

In regard to the petition, i think its something we anglers (and BASS/NFSA) should start thinking about - judging by the success of the saveourbass.com petition, we would have the support of many French, Belgian and Dutch Anglers.

All in hand Guernsey Bass :)

Some UK Sea Anglers, along with French Colleagues, and representative from the European Anglers' Alliance, and with support from MEPs, have been invited to make their case to the EU Petitions Committee in Brussels, in the very near future.

You can either moan about problems or get or your a**e and do something.

Or like some, just moan and moan and moan.

(Perhaps it would be just too awful if there was not someone else to blame, especially the French and Belgiums!) .

Tight Lines - leon

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

All in hand Guernsey Bass :)

Some UK Sea Anglers, along with French Colleagues, and representative from the European Anglers' Alliance, and with support from MEPs, have been invited to make their case to the EU Petitions Committee in Brussels, in the very near future.

You can either moan about problems or get or your a**e and do something.

Or like some, just moan and moan and moan.

(Perhaps it would be just too awful if there was not someone else to blame, especially the French and Belgiums!) .

Tight Lines - leon

Glad to hear its been considered. If you need any help in relation to CI anglers give me a shout.

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

Some of the above, also because there is no problem with bass stocks,

they can see that left alone they can carry on earning a living in the futrure as they have in the past. Why fix some thing that aint broke

Hi Peter

This is working on the assumption that commercial sector of the fishing industry are the primary and only stakeholder.

I agree with Steves sentiments of "what do you consider broke ?"

There are of course now 19,000 rsa dependant jobs, who also seek opportunities to earn a living, the level of employement has now steadied , after a decline.

ie bradwell marina had 15 charter boats , it now has 2 1/2, the other half of the year the skipper fishes in America , all that revenue now being spent in another country.

The current science and surveys (scale samples ) shows that growth rates from 36cm to 45cm are now between 12 to 18 months.

Speaking to a number of local wet fish outlets , there is a demand for fish over 45cm , which commands a better price.

So with an increase to 45cm, the Bass fishery will have benefits for all stakeholders and a better long term chance of reamining sustainable.

cheers

Tom