Capital Punishment

toria

heard a debate today on the radio all about bringing back capital punishment, like the last few years they have been saying it ! i personaly am all for capital punishment, seeing that life these days seems to be all of 10-15 years for very horrfic acts ! i mean america still belives in the system why dont we take note !!! bring forth capital punishment lets see the murder etc satistics drop sharply ! what say ye? :huh:

hope you've relieved yourself, coz you gonna s**t !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

I wonder how many innocent people have been executed in the past?

The only way it could work is if the 'guilty' person killed themselves.

i mean america still belives in the system why dont we take note !!!

lets see the murder etc satistics drop sharply !

I doubt if many Americans believe the death penalty acts so much as a deterrent.

I just can't see this country bringing in capital punishment, they try and vote it in quite frequently but it always gets thrown out.

The best deterrent would be long jail sentances, not the , commit the crime then released after 7 years, but long sentances with no priveleges and hard labour involved.

The prospect of condemning to death a possibly innocent person makes me shudder with revulsion. I am old enough to remember James Hanratty - and my father actually knew Mr Pierpoint, the last public hangman in Britain.

As for me, I believe Life should mean Life. I don't subscribe to capital punishment, and just because America does (and it isn't a particularly transparent system - and too open to political interference), doesn't mean we should slavishly follow suit.

America is many things... one of those things is NOT permanently correct.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I think it should be brought back under certain rules. If the killer is definitely guilty, without the need to be judged by a jury, EG seen to do the killing, then yes hang them.

However, judgment by jury, can get it wrong and there can always be doubt. In this case, give life in prison, that's life, not 15 or 20 years.

If it was to be reintroduced a few ideas to toss around (I don't believe it will be though!).

1. Sentence by more than one person

Seems bloody obvious that in most cases leaving the sentencing to one person is a bit bizzare anyway

Perhaps even legally require a full jury to agree on the sentence (otherwise default to life/25yrs).

2. Proper appeals process

Too often you hear about cases overturned through unsafe evidence.

3. Victims Wishes

If the victim (or their family) doens't wish the death penalty to be applied that wish should be respected

Ian W