Two-Tone (again)

Pangolin

It might be sad Den, but at the root of this whole thread, and other similar ones, appears to be an underlying view, by non carpers, that carping, and its influence, is open to comment.

There is no doubt that 'carp' fishing has changed the face of UK angling. That I don't have a problem with, but I do have a problem with some of the attitudes and values that carp fanatics seem intent on forcing onto other branches of our wonderful sport.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter,from where I stand at the moment it seems that plenty of others are intent on forcing "THEIR" ways on to the carp anglers.

Alibee...She... :D

For my part, I find this CONTINUAL (just look at the threads running at the moment) digging at carp, and now it would appear Barbel as well, seems to turn some people on...these Anglers(?) profess not to understand what drives some of us, in fact there are a lot of us, to seek out and attempt to capture the biggest fish in the lake or river.

So they attempt to ridicule our efforts..could this really be to try to hide their own feelings of inadequacy?

Newt says "dont read them then" ??????

When I was in my late teensI fished the Royalty hoping to catch a record barbel, I fished Redmire a couple of times in the 60's.......surely no one would have fished there without some sense of hoping for a record fish?

Fairly recently I fished a lake in Essex that was throwing up some BIG Roach over 3lbs...of course I wanted one...and secretly hoped that the next one might be of record proportions...doesn't mean I would not have been happy with a 3lber though :D

I am now living only about 15 mins away from a lake which holds a record size fish and as a carp angler (at the moment anyway) I would be foolish not to at least give it a season or two in the hope that I may catch it!!

All of these places, and a few more as well :D were accessed with only a small amount of effort and money, and all are open to anyone who cares to make a similar effort.

You may have to wait a couple of years for a vacancy but it can be done.

One further point, and this may make some of you happy for a while, is that I will not be fishing for TT until the Autumn and Winter, so you can sleep easy knowing that she is just a little bit safer for a while

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest allibee

Peter, I have to disagree

Carp fanatics aren't actually interested in other branches of the sport, for the most part, and keep well out of it.

As some of you may know I am a member of RMC Angling and as my over 3000 posts will tell you, I spend a little bit of time there. Of the thousands of members, yes, most are into for the carp and VERY rarely do they post anything on the coarse boards and when they do its because they are speci anglers, not just fanatic about 1 species. The carp fanatics are just that, and display sometimes a very sad indifference to other branches and as such aren't interested in foisting anything on anyone outside their golfish bowl. Don't we all fish just for ourselves at the end of the day?

A specimen angler is a specimen angler ... no matter what the 'branch' with lots to offer all of us... why does there have to be branches anyway?

mumble mumble ....

carp baiting is often seen on this forum, as much because some do get "off"on it, i was guilty of starting such a post a few weeks ago.

why? well for my part i am a rather poor, general species angler, i don't enjoy sitting for hours catching nothing (of which I have plenty of experience)

unfortunatly some have become so obsessed with a particular species that they cannot understand why anyone fishes for anything else and have elavated their particular species to a ridiculous level of worship, to me, poking fun at them does make me smile, though to be honest I'd rather that they realised that we are really talking about a fish.

Unlike you den, they are often not anglers who have ever tried any other area of the sport. when I come across them in person and am my usual friendly enquiring self, they are often quite rude, especially when they see my wimpy rods and note that I enjoy catching bream etc.

i suppose this is my way of defending myself from them and helping me realise that there are carp anglers who a. can take a joke and b. can come back just as strongly.

don't worry I'll also happily have a go at peter, or anyone else. the reason i post on here is because the anglers can take it as well as give it which makes me happy to be within the same group as them....anglers all.

i've waffled on a bit, i realise there's a lack of coherance here. but anyway, that's why i do it.

ps, as always den i have masses of respect for you but i will always poke fun from time to time.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I think, Allibee, that you have hit things pretty much bang on the head when you talk of the one species only type of carp angler. I remember the discussions when the pressure was on to dump the close season. Very many carpers made it quite clear that no other species mattered, and I have always resented that!

Carp baiting :D ! Like that!!

Den, you have made valid points, most of which I can't argue with. But inadequacies? Not sure, it might be a reaction against the steam roller effect of the carp industry. And I think it is the 'industry' rather than the species that many of us are wary of.

Don't think so Allibee, unless they are fully paid up members of the barbel police! Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the fanatical one species and nothing else matters syndrome comes from the carpers and has yet to gain a strong foothold amongst barbellers.

Back in the 70's, when the term 'nuisance fish' came into being, carpers in the Colne Valley were not above making a great show of killing bream with bank sticks and leaving 'em on display.

Then, of course, that anyone could admit to wearing bivvy slippers! Or sleeping on a Realtree advantage camp bed!

I did, and still do resent the term 'nuisance fish', and 'bivvy slippers' are just asking for ridicule.

Tell me I'm wrong and I will believe you, but I seriously don't think that the barbel fraternity, in general, has taken to nuisance fish and bivvy slippers, just yet!

'Burble boys' and 'crap yobs' might be one and the same!

Yup far to much 'knocking' of 'other' types of fishing, but it has to be said that the 'single species against all other's' brigade set themselves up for it all the time!

One only has to wander into one of their 'fishing emporiums' to have a good laugh (and wander out slightly bemused clutching the lastest whatsit!)

I can be a very 'singular' type of angler when the mood takes me (currently pretty much a carp off the top on doggie biscuits man) but once my (and the fishes) mood changes I'll be off after the Trout, Mackerel, Barbel, Pike, Bass or whatever seems to be 'in season'. So much of our gear is 'portable' I don't know why more anglers arn't 'all rounders' it's not like you need loads more gear - A decent carp rod is great for flinging feathers or as a Pike / Bass rod. Fly rods are good for Chub, Dace, Mullet & Bass, Spining rods can catch loads of species etc.

I think the 'Singular' anglers are missing out on so much of what angling (for me) is about, it's their loss.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Guest allibee

If you want to really get your revenge on the carpers Peter, I dare you to catch a very large carp (40lb+) and put it back ... without weighing it

Bet you couldn't resist though

:)

allibee:

If you want to really get your revenge on the carpers Peter, I dare you to catch a very large carp (40lb+) and put it back ... without weighing it

:)

yeah i was really after bream,bloody nuisance carp....

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!