Winter Pike

Newt

Come on Peter Mc Fudge Argyll and all the other doubters, it was a fantastic looking fish.

Out of all of this what is clear is that Hoppy despite some negative comments .has remained polite and courteous Something we could all learn from dont you think.?

We are approaching the season of goodwill, so may I be the first to wish you Hoppy a Very Hoppy Chrismas, and keep em coming .... and to the knockers.... bah humbug!!

Merry Christmas to all my readers :)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, it is a nice pike, but it is no way near 20 kilo's!

Any one who says can not have been fishing for more than a month or so...

A pike at 115 cm is NOT close to 20 kilos, unless it has the shape of a nile perch!

If you take a look at the biggest catches in the sportfishing history of Sweden, no one has ever caught a 115 cm pike that exceeds 20 kilo (if not ready to spawn), and no one ever will...

You could also look at some of the latest pike catches from Sweden at http://www.popuptackle.com

Some examples:

post-7838-1133771073_thumb.jpg

14,23 kg, 118cm

post-7838-1133771032_thumb.jpg

11,06 kg, 115cm

Edited by palm

'Ok, it is a nice pike, but it is no way near 20 kilo's!....'

Well I've been fishing for pike for over 30 years, and while I'll concede that, at first glance, most people would be unlikely to attribute Hoppy's pike with the claimed weight, I also know that neither you, I, nor any other person can unequivocably refute the weight from the sole evidence of a photograph.

If you're confident of your ability to assess a pike's weight from a picture, then let's hear your estimation of the weight of the pike in the picture I've posted. If you're not prepared to put up your estimate, then you shouldn't be passing judgement over a fellow angler by disputing his claimed catch IMO.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Thanks for that Hoppy. On zooming in on the BassPro scales I see that the needle goes around twice. That means that if you had of made an error of judgement, reguarding revolutions, then the fish would have only been 22 pounds. No way, I've had my share of big pike and that is definately no twenty two pounder! The length is the length, can't argue with that. The scales being cheap MIGHT have an error, so what do you suggest? At ten percent, which is highly unlikely, it's still a forty pounder! Go on fellas, give the bloke the credit that is due.

Rabbit, I wasn't doubting Hoppy. It wasn't until other folk cast doubts on his claim that I asked the question re the scales, and then it wasn't with the intention of devaluing his fish. Far from it infact.

Chris & Phil have put their thoughts into words far better than I can on this matter.

Chris, head on the block time, 28lbs?

Come on Neo, those photographs show that fish at nearly arms length!

Surprising how many folk have made their first AN posting regarding this thread!

By the way, Neo, welcome to AN.

Jan O posted a link at FiskeSnack.com (a Swedish fishing forum) that's why you see so many new faces :)

It doesn't matter if he holds the fish at an arms length. You can still see how fat the fish really is. And Hoppy's fish doesn't have what it takes to weigh 20 kilo's.

Edited by NEO

New faces are welcome, especially when it leads to new imput and a wider base of varied experiences. And any country that can produce ABU tackle has to be good!!!

If asked to judge Hoppy's fish on the photograph alone, without any other prompting, I would have gone for a mid thirty. But that is only an opinion based on a photograph that does not clearly show the size of the fish.

Jan O posted a link at FiskeSnack.com (a Swedish fishing forum) that's why you see so many new faces :)

It doesn't matter if he holds the fish at an arms length. You can still see how fat the fish really is. And Hoppy's fish doesn't have what it takes to weigh 20 kilo's.

Yes, thats right, my intension was to "tie" the communities together so to speak, to promote Peace In the World. Now I have realized that I should have picked another thread, perhaps... Well, anyhow, the intension was good and as Mel Brooks once said, "if You cant laugh about it, it aint worth taking seriously".

Jan, no problem, your input is welcome, probably even by Hoppy!!

A degree of regretful nastiness has creapt into this thread, no fault of yours. That anglers of various countries can come together is splendid. We have regular posters from the USA, an occasional poster from Russia, even one from India.

My own interest / passion is pike fishing with lures, and I know full well, even after 50 years of doing it, that you guys from mainland Europe, and our existing friends from the USA, have a great deal to teach us English anglers.

Other than one 'instant' poster who Newt dealt with, I've not seen any 'nastiness' as you call it. That is of course leaving aside your attempt to label me ungracious or bad mannered or some such other tripe. In comparison with the way it might have been dealt with by another well known forum this still remains a level headed discussion and not a war of words. Please keep it that way.

Its interesting to hear what our swedish friends have to say. They more than any other european angling nation should know what big pike look like and the fact that they have taken the time and trouble to register and give their views should be a measure of how strongly they feel....and no its not a conspiracy organised by me, I didn't 'go get them'

Tja! guys. My only swedish other than Lundgrensfiske :rolleyes:

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'