Winter Pike

Newt

I have just been looking through a few back issues of AT. Too blessed tired to go fishing, two nights with not much sleep. After being in labour since Friday my daughter gave birth to grandchild number four.

Anway, here I sit reading old ATs, and in the issue for November 22 is a picture of Fudgie's croc, Roy Lewis's 46.13 oz 'record' and Allen Stewart's 46lb 8 oz fish.

Allen's picture, especially, is not dissimilar to Hoppy's. Fish cradled to his body & tail falling away. I'll scan it later, its about 6 times longer than the width of Allen's head, Fudgie's is about 7 and a half times longer than the width of his head, for a fish that is five pounds lighter.

The point that I am trying to make is that unless all things are photographically equal it is hard to compare, let alone judge weight by a photograph.

Perhaps Hoppy should let Nige Williams into the location!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done hoppy, a magnificent fish!

Excuse the bad manners of the english here who wish to put a dampener on your catch.......very bad form IMO.

Agreed, it is a magnificent fish but sadly, the capture has been tarnished because the fish simply doesn't look anything like the stated weight and that is the risk you run if you post your captures on the net for everyone to look at.

By the way, I'm Scottish. The English aren't to blame for everything.....just some things.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

'By the way, I'm Scottish. The English aren't to blame for everything.....just some things.'

That's a highly magnanimous and singularly unusual sentiment from one of ye lot Andy. I'm quite taken aback!

:D:D:D

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I'm full of surprises.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guest Brumagem Phil

Well putting this particular pike to one side, hoppys attitude has been admirable on this thread. I also like the big beemin smile on the pics. I'd happily set up next to him anyday......seems like of one of lifes true gents.

Other than one 'instant' poster who Newt dealt with, I've not seen any 'nastiness' as you call it. That is of course leaving aside your attempt to label me ungracious or bad mannered or some such other tripe. In comparison with the way it might have been dealt with by another well known forum this still remains a level headed discussion and not a war of words. Please keep it that way.

Its interesting to hear what our swedish friends have to say. They more than any other european angling nation should know what big pike look like and the fact that they have taken the time and trouble to register and give their views should be a measure of how strongly they feel....and no its not a conspiracy organised by me, I didn't 'go get them'

Tja! guys. My only swedish other than Lundgrensfiske :rolleyes:

O no, another one of PA:s friends;). PA is a very naughty boy... Have you ever visited his famous basement at Lundgrens Old Town?

O no, another one of PA:s friends;). PA is a very naughty boy... Have you ever visited his famous basement at Lundgrens Old Town?

I've heard about it Jan but I only got as far as Malmo. Waylaid by a blond.

I like Lundgrens, they stock all of the old model ABU spoons, have some interesting jerkbaits and PA is very helpful on the phone.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I have read and considered each of the opinions given on the fish. I would welcome any of you to fish with me anywhere. I Love the Sport and the Enjoyment is far and above any controversy. We are Anglers and that is what make our sport different and the same. Each tries to catch the fish of a Lifetime and that persuit drives us. I would Love to have the oppertunity to fish in Sweden as a Holger Ross does each year. I have spoken to him and he seems to be quite the fisherman, but I haven't been able to get there for one of his trips. I hope to come over to England erly next year for a week to visit. Maybe I will have the privledge of meeting some of you then as well. I Wish all of you a Happy Holiday Season!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

I wouldnt like to comment on wether the pike is the said weight or not, i personally lack experience as my P.B pike is only 17lbs, all i know is all the pics on here are bigger than mine.

As for slodgers 'guess the weight' piccy i would say 18.04 lbs

steve.