Winter Pike

Newt

Nice fish hoppy it is impossible to judge the size of a big pike from a photo, back in 1984 at the tender age of 15 I caught a pike on the last day of the season which went 25lb 11oz which I entered it into the local papers angling competition, which gave prizes for the seasons largest fish of various species.

How I wish I hadn't that fish was weighed on two seperate sets of scales and witnessed by two independant witnesses one of which was the late great Peter Stone.

There was outcry in the paper for the next two or three weeks with some of the earlier holders of the largest pike complaining to the paper through the letters column that there was no way that my fish could have weighed that as it was obviously shorter than theirs. It wasn't until Peter stone himself commented, in his column in the Oxford mail, that he was one of the witnesses to the fishes capture, that it all quietened down.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as there isn't a rush from those who were so quickly willing to dis Hoppy's fish, I'll tell you that the pike in the picture weighed 27lbs 6ozs. It was weighed and witnessed by a handful of other anglers. The guy in the picture, which I took, didn't look that big when I photographed him, and it wasn't until I got the film back from the lab that I noticed with some astonishment, just how tiny he made this pike look.

It's unequivicable proof in my eyes, that a photograph of an unknown angler, cannot be judged by the viewer!

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Many of fishing guys have been taking pikes over 10 kg in Sweden. So the easy can see how big a pike is. Even att a photo. But the most important is anyhow to have fun with fishing. Hoppy i hop you can came over to Sweden. The country of big pike and much of them to he he. Sorry that we are hard to you. But that are we even at friends. Even here we controls our fishing partners. MVH Gunnar Jansson.

Why, bugger me gently, I was 10oz over on Slodger's fish! Does that mean that I am generous or what? Interestingly I measured just how many average shoulder widths went into the length of the fish, and then refered to Fred Bullers's revised Mona Scale.

And just how many people believed that this picture, copied from Angling Times, was of a 46 pound pike?post-364-1133826460_thumb.jpg

Yup Im guilty on that one Peter! I doubted it on the strength of the first photo! Maybe its things like that that we learn from?

Come on then you Swedish guys whose going to organise the first ever Anglers Net Swedish Pike Fish in then? :D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Brumagem Phil

Never mind peter, you'll notice from the other thread that argyll and hoppy are now drinking buddies.......I guess alls well that ends well eh? :D:D:D:D

Drinking buddies No, but Anglers that Love to Fish, YES!!! I look forward to meeting him and maybe we will have that drink while we are out. I more than anything else look forward to fishing while we are there. I have been in country to work on numerous occaisions, but did not get the chance to fish. As was stated in the other post, we are on the verge of returning to the USA and this would indeed be a Big Positive in my book. When the actual travel is set, I will post and maybe I will have the oppertunity to meet others while we are there.

HOPPY4

HOPPY

And just how many people believed that this picture, copied from Angling Times, was of a 46 pound pike?post-364-1133826460_thumb.jpg

Can’t you see that this pike is much bigger than Hoppy’s fish?

A pike at 115 cm can’t weigh 20 kg, it’s impossible.

Can’t you see that this pike is much bigger than Hoppy’s fish?

A pike at 115 cm can’t weigh 20 kg, it’s impossible.

Neo been there, done that!!! Can we move on now pleeeeeeeeease

:blink: