Electric Blue

Alan Taylor

Cowes Week is this week, we'll be around the weekend after. Hopefully they'll all be gone by then, and it will be back to normal tourist types.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah! next weekend... should have looked back!

So yottie types will have drifted off & there will be a Pimms shortage! :D

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

I have just spoken to Rob Thompson and for those of you who may not be aware this is the lo down

He recommends 12lb class gear or an uptider, he says you will really nead braid around 20lb, leads 10ozs to 1lb but bring a few 1.5lb just in case.

Fishing mostly with live mackies/scad so use Portland rigs with decent size 1 or 1/0 trebles he recomends owner or fox trebles as they need to be strong with a wide gape.

He says you can use a boom rig but they tend to get tangled by the bait.

Also if you have some small feathers as they have been catching little 4" scad which he says are the killer bait.

mAy fish with live sandeels if there are any about and then a 3/0-6/0 wide gape hook on the same rig.

Bring 25-30lb clear mono or ideally flourocarbon for traces.

Also storm shads are working quite well at the moment.

Sorry if you all knew this already

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks Gareth, A great help to the uninnitiated,i.e. ME....I will print your post off and take it to the tackle shop....also

I hope there is some Isle of Jura to be had..... :D:D

[ 12. August 2004, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Sorry chappers, but bass fishing with trebles is a nightmare!!

Just imagine everyone with a fish on at the same time? Skipper nets the first, tries to drop it out of the net, but finds one of the spare barbs has hooked the net. Skipper leaves the angler to free the net whilst he reaches use his second net. In the meanwhile, the other anglers are trying their best to avoid a super tangle?

Yes. You get more hook-ups with treble hooks, but they are a menace when the fish are on the feed.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Good way to hook the 'Joeys' and sandeel is the flying trace pennel rig.

You have a loose hook (smaller that main hook)threaded up the line from the one on the end of the line (generaly off a boom or patenoster)- run the end hook through the mouth & nick in by the vent - take 'free' hook & wind round line a few times before hooking through lower lip, has a lovely action and keeps livebait going - also prevents the 'oh-eer! somethings nicked half my eel!

The following 'flying collar' is a good representation but with a longer drop to the lead & the 'pennel hook would go into the front of the eel.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/rigs/boat_f...ng_collar.shtml

PS, Live sandeels can be devils to grab, I have used a 'kiddie' net to scoop them out and hold them while I rig them - else you'll be chasing e'm round the deck!

PPS, If you get any cuttlefish - keep them for cod bait in the Winter! (They also taste good!)

Sure for some of you this is 'sucking eggs' but I understand a few are 'newbies'

Hope to see you soon!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Nearly forgot Norrie.

For small feathers, read, mini hokkais or shrimp feathers. That`s the rig I caught my first and only `smelt` on!! What do you mean, you`ve only seen `smelts` in tins.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!