Electric Blue

Alan Taylor

Yes you understand me perfectly - absolutely perfectly.

I did say put most of them back - we all keep fish to eat once in a while but if you go fishing just to kill fish, take up netting.

That sounds very righteous doesn't it? I don't mean to preach - I just think that watching most of them swim away after a photo is a better memory (and then you can feel very righteous too).

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan, I think many here in the UK are still reeling at the sight of alleged 'pleasure anglers' with 50+ Bass in their boxes on the BBC news the other night! (some might call them unlicensed fishermen).

Have a good weekends angling, and I hope you get a few 'for the pot', but what we do is ‘sport’ fishing and letting a biggie go back is a great feeling. (They don’t taste as good as the medium size ones either!)

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Oh & Julian, A little less 'confrontational' first posting would have been appreciated by many & a 'hello' is often wise as well. (see similar hello's on the forum)

(I know - been there got the T shirt)!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Hiya, Just sneaked in from work, hiding from the boss,Re the returning of Bass, I was told by a VERY experienced Bass Angler, to return everything under 2lbs and over 4lbs,and to keep one or two only between those weights,sounds like sound advice to me.... :D:D All I want to do is catch one, I will then worry about keeping or returning...

[ 13. August 2004, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Julian Fox:

Yes you understand me perfectly - absolutely perfectly.

I did say put most of them back - we all keep fish to eat once in a while but if you go fishing just to kill fish, take up netting.

For your information I gave up netting years ago, yes I was a fully licenced commercial fisherman.

If I want to feel righteous I will go to Chruch. Get to know a bit about people on here before you start giving orders.

Just how many Bass have you taken over the years?

I and a few others on here also sent cheques off to BASS for there fighting fund.

See the initials on my signature, they stand for Sea Anglers Conservation Network, I don't do a lot but support when I can.

A few of us on here go up to Scotland to help with the tagging programme for Common Skate, yes we have a great time while we are there but we are still helping.

So don't talk to me about conservation.

Electric Blue team, sorry about the rant.

Alan

[ 13. August 2004, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Norrie:

,Re the returning of Bass, I was told by a VERY experienced Bass Angler, to return everything under 2lbs and over 4lbs,

I never said I would'nt return Bass, I just won't be dictated to especially by some one that does'nt know me.

Got a stinking cold and on the road in the morning.

Alan.

my apologies for not saying hello - I just feel like I've been here for ages and didn't realise I hadn't posted before.

and I wouldn't criticise anyone - didn't think I had, but there you go.

Again, have a great day - and I'd really like to hear how you get on. If you get a chance to try some shads out then do so, I'd like to hear how they compare to the livebaits.

Alan

- hope you get over the cold quickly. Lots of vitamin C will prevent most and make the ones you do get much less severe. Well known fact that plenty of the C helps kill off a virus and that smokers need even more since lots of what we do ingest gets used up dealing with smoke by-products.

- might be an excellent time to try some of those hooks I sent. They work well on black bass and should also do fine on sea bass based on what I've seen of their mouth shape.

- for goodness sake don't do another 'winter' on us. I read what Julian posted as the same sort of advice I see from others on here (and in the States also and it's good both places) to keep what you can use and toss the others - especially the large others - back to fight another day.

I think it was your head cold/flu that felt attacked so maybe wait until you are feeling good and see if it still reads the same?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sorry Newt, "end of story and they should go back no excuses". testicles. I love my fishing and respect the fish and conservation of them, come on you have seen enough of my posts on netting etc,

I will be takeing fish home with me, cool blocks etc and my friends that only see a Bass on the internet will share my catch. Schoolies will go back and once I have a decent one the rest will probably go back. MY CHOICE or the skippers if he says there is a 2 fish limit :(

As for frozen Bass, one of the lads on my boat had one about 8lbs and gave it to me, we froze it and later had a BBQ, it was too big for the oven:)

Stuffed with herbs and when it was cooked coated with Pernod (flambe), the pernod christalised and made a great chrispy, tasty meal. This idea came from an Australian that posted on AN, take note Julian its a big family.

As for another winter, I thought it was YOXER in disguise, even winter would not tell me what to do with my fish.

You know what realy peeeees me off, we have a nice topic going about a fishing trip and some tawt reversed as it gets blocked out, decides on his first post to tell me what to do and will still not tell me how many Bass he has taken home for the table, dam site more than I have ever caught and thats for sure.

The sizes that Norrie mentioned sound like solid advice and taken from a friend that is an expert so I will go with the ADVICE and not the effing orders.

My total while netting was seven + 1 my first rod and line (small but sizable) and dead chuffed with it.

I am meeting up with Salar on Friday to collect my goodies from you and dish out a few to others.

Your hooks will be used and knowing me probably shared out :(

Norrie also has a couple of fly rods and bits for me, maybe I can murder loads of Bass with these, doubt full though.

Not having a poke at you Newt, just .....well you know :cool:

Alan

[ 13. August 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]