open question to Bob Bradford

Guest NickInTheNorth

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i certainly have a pair :sun::sun::sun:

Davey how do i cast not sure really,just do it!!!sometimes swing the float out,sometimes do it sideways...not sure that makes any sense....but i do and can catch fish!!! just cannot manage any longer than a 6m.... ;);););)

Thanks for the explanation Judy - My 13 foot beast is more thn I wish to handle :huh:

Just to keep life real simple for you imagine I'm fishing a 5 metre whip. 6lb line straight through. A float of some sort taking 2 swan shot, bulked about 3 feet from the hook, which is a size 10 forged with a big barb. For bait I've got a wriggly old lob worm. And I'm fishing over depth by about 2 foot so the float can blow about plenty.

Just to show I'm still around! I think there's an interesting point here. This is similar to the rig I was using (though not with a whip) when I caught the perch that started all this. Previously I used to have shot much closer to the hook, and I think it meant I was more certain to detect a bite early. I was advised (I think rightly) to leave a fair bit of line with no shot so the worm would fall naturally, and I was slightly overdepth. I think this is an effective rig, but it means if the perch doesn't move far with the bait the float won't register a bite so quickly. I caught 4 reasonable perch in about an hour, and the others were lip-hooked, so I'm not intending to change the rig for the moment, but I can see there's an issue about bite detection. Maybe the answer is not to fish overdepth?

john clarke