Zander fish-in - October

Anderoo

No length is specified, also I have had now had confirmation from AW that we can use flouro if we wish (as long as we are specifically targeting zander with vertical jigging). If you do use flouro, I would avoid shallower water (up to about 30ft) as you're then more likely to find pike.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers Anderoo. Have now trawled the three threads and (I think) have all the gen we need.

Just one bit of logistics

We may come by car and hotel it, or may come by campervan and overnight at a local caravan site - does anyone know if the carpark at Rutland will allow campervans for the day, or have they some sort of anti-traveller height barrier ?.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I don't remember there being a height barrier, but you might want to give them a call to double check.

PS in the next day or so I'll provide/confirm a few more details for everyone - times, directions, parking info, prices, etc.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Directions

Copy this into Google Maps and it'll show you where the entrance to the lodge and marina is: 52.641071,-0.625802

When you get there

Press at the barrier for a ticket to let you in. Follow the road down to the right, the marina and lodge is then down on your left. There are a few parking spots down by the boats, if those are full there are plenty of others nearby.

Make sure you take your parking ticket into the lodge when getting your fishing ticket - they will swap it for a token which lets you leave at the exit barrier later (so the parking is free).

Boat bookings and payment

All 5 boats are booked under my name but you will need to pay on the day in the lodge. The cost of boat hire plus predator permit for 2 anglers sharing a boat is £60, so £30 each. When paying for your boat you'll be asked to provide a mobile number in cases of emergencies.

Life jackets are mandatory and are provided for free.

Times

The lodge opens at 8am, so I suggest met all meet by the lodge at about 7.30am. The fishing is until dusk, which changes as the days get shorter. I guess about 6pm in early October, but we'll be told on the day. We can arrange a time on the day to meet back at the lodge and debrief!

Post-event social

Rusty, did you have a plan for this?

Boat partners

So far it looks like we have the following boat partners:

1. Anderoo and Tigger

2. Vagabond and Norma (+ possibly one extra)

3. Rusty and JV44 [as Rich can't make it I assume you'll want to share a boat?]

As Budgie and Alex have both done a lot of large water predator boat fishing it seems sensible for Steve to go with one and Matthew the other - how about:

4. Budgie and Steve Walker

5. Alex and Matthew Simmons

A quick summary of what you'll need (aside from rod, reel, lures, etc.)

- waterproofs

- food and drink for the day

- something comfy to sit on (e.g. unhooking mat) and some way of stop it blowing away (e.g. bungie cords)

- if you burn easily, sunblock

- a drogue per boat [NB Alex and Budgie have these]

- ideally a fishfinder per boat [NB Alex and Budgie have these]

- unhooking tools [NB Alex and Budgie have these]

- not essential, but H block markers can be useful to mark the start of drifts etc.

Releasing deep-water zander

Please see post #74 here for information about how to release zander caught from deep water (very important): http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5975726-zander-fish-in-october/page-8

The AN Zander Cup

Thanks to Rusty, the AN Zander Cup will be awarded to the captor of the longest zander on the day (unless it's JV44).

AW website

Finally, a link to the website with the rules etc.: http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/leisure/what-to-do/fishing/pike.aspx

Any other questions, please ask - thanks. (I'll put a copy of this on the first post too.)

Edited by Anderoo

Yes it's a shame Rich, hopefully the second one though?

Vagabond, AW have confirmed that 3 people in a boat is fine.

Cheers Anderoo

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Directions

Copy this into Google Maps and it'll show you where the entrance to the lodge and marina is: 52.641071,-0.625802

When you get there

Press at the barrier for a ticket to let you in. Follow the road down to the right, the marina and lodge is then down on your left. There are a few parking spots down by the boats, if those are full there are plenty of others nearby.

Make sure you take your parking ticket into the lodge when getting your fishing ticket - they will swap it for a token which lets you leave at the exit barrier later (so the parking is free).

Boat bookings and payment

All 5 boats are booked under my name but you will need to pay on the day in the lodge. The cost of boat hire plus predator permit for 2 anglers sharing a boat is £60, so £30 each. When paying for your boat you'll be asked to provide a mobile number in cases of emergencies.

Life jackets are mandatory and are provided for free.

Times

The lodge opens at 8am, so I suggest met all meet by the lodge at about 7.30am. The fishing is until dusk, which changes as the days get shorter. I guess about 6pm in early October, but we'll be told on the day. We can arrange a time on the day to meet back at the lodge and debrief!

Post-event social

Rusty, did you have a plan for this?

Boat partners

So far it looks like we have the following boat partners:

1. Anderoo and Tigger

2. Vagabond and Norma (+ possibly one extra)

3. Rusty and JV44 [as Rich can't make it I assume you'll want to share a boat?]

As Budgie and Alex have both done a lot of large water predator boat fishing it seems sensible for Steve to go with one and Matthew the other - how about:

4. Budgie and Steve Walker

5. Alex and Matthew Simmons

A quick summary of what you'll need (aside from rod, reel, lures, etc.)

- waterproofs

- food and drink for the day

- something comfy to sit on (e.g. unhooking mat) and some way of stop it blowing away (e.g. bungie cords)

- if you burn easily, sunblock

- a drogue per boat [NB Alex and Budgie have these]

- ideally a fishfinder per boat [NB Alex and Budgie have these]

- unhooking tools [NB Alex and Budgie have these]

- not essential, but H block markers can be useful to mark the start of drifts etc.

Releasing deep-water zander

Please see post #74 here for information about how to release zander caught from deep water (very important): http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5975726-zander-fish-in-october/page-8

The AN Zander Cup

Thanks to Rusty, the AN Zander Cup will be awarded to the captor of the most zander on the day (unless it's JV44).

AW website

Finally, a link to the website with the rules etc.: http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/leisure/what-to-do/fishing/pike.aspx

Any other questions, please ask - thanks. (I'll put a copy of this on the first post too.)

Looks good to me Anderoo - looking forwards to being paired up with a pro! I have done a lot of flyfishing from a boat, but deep water preds is a new idea for me

The nearest postcode is LE15 8HD which claims to be Rutland Water fishing lodge, but the actual lodge/marina is a couple of mins up the road. In the pic below the red A marker is where that postcode will take you to, the yellow 1 is the actual entrance, and the yellow 2 is the lodge/marina.

rutland_zps8bcdf324.jpg