Its such a shame

Steve Randles

Ive got to agrre with Steve but dont close any forums move forward and ignore the trouble makers I personally ignore the messers if I can as they try to destroy the fun feel of AN probably because they,ve nothing better to do .As Ihave said before its a brilliant info site and the crack is good so lets get on with it....Rob

I've never been able to find this crack that people keep referring to. I found a couple of joint butts in the toilets, but that's it so far :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been able to find this crack that people keep referring to. I found a couple of joint butts in the toilets, but that's it so far :D
couple of joint butts in the toilets my word Id stay away from those toilets neither of those are the crack I mean

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

I think it is almost a downside of the site being so popular.

The more people that you have, the more morons and abusive people you are likely to have amongst them.

When the forum started lets say there were (and I am guessing) 100 users after six months and they were 5% trouble makers, that's only five people posting contentious comments. If a site has 1,000 users, that becomes 50 of them, and they seem much more visible.

Whatever the problem I think perhaps the mods should have a 3 strikes and your out rule, and people should be PMd to inform them of each strike.

Perhaps also if a certain user is complained about by more than 5 people by mods via PM, then perhaps they should be barred.

Just thoughts but something needs to be done. I don't think this is a fault of those who run this site, its just the simple maths that if you have a large number of people in one place, a few will be idiots!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I'm fairly new to this forum, (any forum in fact) I joined because illness has curtailed my angling of late,and, I finally got on to the internet, and wanted to get my 'fix' before I hopefully start in the new season.

When I came on to AN I didn't know what to expect. But to my suprise you all seemed a pretty mixed but decent bunch. (Anyone would think you were real people :) ) I obviously don't remember the 'old' days, but have trawled through some of the older threads, and apart from a few 'rogue' posts I can't see a great deal of difference.

The thing that has struck me most is, that some members are very quick to take offence at any statement, without thinking about the meaning behind it. I think some people scan a post quickly and if 'key' words appear then it's like a red rag to a bull, and they fire of a defensive salvo in return, which attracts an abrasive response and so on until 4 or 5 people are involved, and a cyber battle breaks out.

There are of course those who know how to solicit such a response, and do so for the amusement value.

In my short time here, I've worked most of them out, and can guess who will react, and in what manner.

Don't forget AN has also made some 'enemies' along the way, and they keep appearing to stir things up on occasions.

I have noticed that some members who have been here a long time, without saying much have started posting more regularly, which must mean something.

I'm afraid that any group with 'open' membership is going to change over time, as new people with different opinions,values, ideas and ways of expressing them join.

As I have said before, I have looked in on a few forums, and found AN to be the one that suits me the best. It's not all arguing, it just seems like it at times, and if people just read posts carefully, and thought before replying, then I think that some of the arguements could be avoided.

Mind you it also helps if like me you are thick skinned :)

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm fairly new to this forum, (any forum in fact) I joined because illness has curtailed my angling of late,and, I finally got on to the internet, and wanted to get my 'fix' before I hopefully start in the new season.

When I came on to AN I didn't know what to expect. But to my suprise you all seemed a pretty mixed but decent bunch. (Anyone would think you were real people :) ) I obviously don't remember the 'old' days, but have trawled through some of the older threads, and apart from a few 'rogue' posts I can't see a great deal of difference.

The thing that has struck me most is, that some members are very quick to take offence at any statement, without thinking about the meaning behind it. I think some people scan a post quickly and if 'key' words appear then it's like a red rag to a bull, and they fire of a defensive salvo in return, which attracts an abrasive response and so on until 4 or 5 people are involved, and a cyber battle breaks out.

There are of course those who know how to solicit such a resonse, and do so for the amusement value.

In my short time here, I've worked most of them out, and can guess who will react, and in what manner.

Don't forget AN has also made some 'enemies' along the way, and they keep appearing to stir things up on occasions.

I have noticed that some members who have been here a long time, without saying much have started posting more regularly, which must mean something.

I'm afraid that any group with 'open' membership is going to change over time, as new people with different opinions,values, ideas and ways of expressing them join.

As I have said before, I have looked in on a few forums, and found AN to be the one that suits me the best. It's not all arguing, it just seems like it at times, and if people just read posts carefully, and thought before replying, then I think that some of the arguements could be avoided.

Mind you it also helps if like me you are thick skinned :)

Interesting comments mate, and sorry to hear of your illness.

I think you are right that people are quick to jump back at people when they receive criticism. It's often a problem with the written word that people can take things the wrong way, as there's no tone of voice there to detect.

It's very hard to hold back, I have done it several times. The downside is that you end up feeling you haven't put your full opinion on record through another response, but this is IMHO heavily outweighed by the upside, which is simply that people won't have to carry on reading a thread that has turned into people ranting at each other.

Simon

Having a laugh and a joke is great and I doubt if anyone would take offence to that.

Having a laugh at someone on a personal basis is not the way to go and spitting at someone because you disagree with their views is not the way to go.

Talking of percentage of trouble makers on the sea forum I would say it is very low they can be picked out very easily and I think three black points account closed would be one option.

The other is to have a second forum for those who after so many post have proved they can debate items without causing offence and are invited on board, I believe this would improve the overal quality of posting.

Just a thought :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

The other is to have a second forum for those who after so many post have proved they can debate items without causing offence and are invited on board, I believe this would improve the overal quality of posting.

Just a thought :D:D

Isn't that a bit elitist though? A new starter might have just as many interesting things to say as somebody who has submitted thousands of posts. I get where you are coming from though.

Isn't that a bit elitist though?

Yes it is in a sense, there would be nothing to stop anyone making post on the existing forum, or those on the elitist (for want of a better word) forum, one would hope that those who have a few rough edges would soon smooth them out in order to get promoted. Anyone steps out of line and back down they go.

It might be possible to set it up so that the top table ( that sounds better) post are automatically seen on the other forum but read only.

Just another thought, not bad as I am sat here with a missing tooth and a hole in my gum screaming pain, waiting for the pain killers to kick in. :cry::cry:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I can't really comment fully because I haven't really seen some of the fights that have gone on here as I personaly have not been on this site as frequently as I used to (been busy with business and the like...)

Though I can appreciate the sort of trouble that a forum does attract, I do admin 3 other forums and the trouble that can happen on them over night is quite unbelievable. If there's so much as one difference of opinion then WW3 starts :rolleyes:

Personally, I think its a case of people just taking them all too seriously these days. It's only a forum guys, so what is some numpty over there doesn't agree with you? Challenge him if you feel the need to, voice your concern / point, but there is no need to get personal and threatening :)

Just my opinion guys...

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D