Fishing for Asians

Leon Roskilly

Don't want to get involved again in this perennial argument, I've already expressed my views elsewhere. but I've just got back from my club ..Cannons at Norbury. A big asian population around there, hindu, sikh and moslem. There are girls in tracksuits some with headscarves, all wearing whatever it takes to cover whichever part of their anatomy that they feel obliged too. For years the club was used only by whites and afro caribbean members until Cannons decided to specifically target the local asian population. Result ? little by little, asians started to join and found something that worked for them, if only a weekly yoga class. Some are husband and wife memberships, some come with their kids. Its called 'positive descrimination' and like or lump it, its sometimes the only way to convince people that they are most welcome in areas of life that the rest of us take for granted. Nobody is forced to join in anything but if they have any qualms about how they'll be welcomed or how their particular religious needs will be met, its dealt with.

Is not just about being a moslem or a female, its more about being in a instantly recognisable minority and left with a distinct impression that you would be less than welcome. Reading some of these threads, thats exactly how I'd feel if I were a moslem.

About 12 years ago I belonged to a long defunct (wonder why) surrey sea fishing club that was run for the benefit of a small committee (clique) who sat around in a Kingston pub once a month and told jokes that usually started with 'did you hear the one about the coon/paki......? Never of course in front of the one black member, a fireman from Clapham who was aware of the antagonism in the background but was determined not to let it spoil his day fishing. Most of us gradually left as a result and the club collapsed. Please don't tell me that angling is generally not a closed shop, don't tell me that black anglers are always treated with the respect that they deserve because like so many other areas of life in general, they clearly don't.

How the morons that sadly now are part of our sport would treat a lone female moslem angler or a sikh with a turban, is the only reason why such a venture is dead in the water before it starts. So don't blame the EA for trying and don't blame moslems if they don't respond. Blame the culture that now exists on some of our river banks. Some of you that come onto this forum from time to time and tell stories about bankside violence, might think yourself lucky. You're white Anglo Saxon.... life could be much worse.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me, but there are loads of schemes to promote fishing to youngsters or under priveleged kids.........and everyone welcomes it here, but the moment someone mentions the term asian when it comes to dishing out you money, all of a sudden theres a divisive thread on the issue!

We've seen tons of this bile lately.....whingers on about immigration.......threads bemoaning the eastern europeans pillaging the fish stocks and so the list goes on!

Elton should rename this place xenophobes fishing forum!

You show me who does such a scheme exclusively for white kids Phil.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Don't want to get involved again in this perennial argument, I've already expressed my views elsewhere. but I've just got back from my club ..Cannons at Norbury. A big asian population around there, hindu, sikh and moslem. There are girls in tracksuits some with headscarves, all wearing whatever it takes to cover whichever part of their anatomy that they feel obliged too. For years the club was used only by whites and afro caribbean members until Cannons decided to specifically target the local asian population. Result ? little by little, asians started to join and found something that worked for them, if only a weekly yoga class. Some are husband and wife memberships, some come with their kids. Its called 'positive descrimination' and like or lump it, its sometimes the only way to convince people that they are most welcome in areas of life that the rest of us take for granted. Nobody is forced to join in anything but if they have any qualms about how they'll be welcomed or how their particular religious needs will be met, its dealt with.

Is not just about being a moslem or a female, its more about being in a instantly recognisable minority and left with a distinct impression that you would be less than welcome. Reading some of these threads, thats exactly how I'd feel if I were a moslem.

About 12 years ago I belonged to a long defunct (wonder why) surrey sea fishing club that was run for the benefit of a small committee (clique) who sat around in a Kingston pub once a month and told jokes that usually started with 'did you hear the one about the coon/paki......? Never of course in front of the one black member, a fireman from Clapham who was aware of the antagonism in the background but was determined not to let it spoil his day fishing. Most of us gradually left as a result and the club collapsed. Please don't tell me that angling is generally not a closed shop, don't tell me that black anglers are always treated with the respect that they deserve because like so many other areas of life in general, they clearly don't.

How the morons that sadly now are part of our sport would treat a lone female moslem angler or a sikh with a turban, is the only reason why such a venture is dead in the water before it starts. So don't blame the EA for trying and don't blame moslems if they don't respond. Blame the culture that now exists on some of our river banks. Some of you that come onto this forum from time to time and tell stories about bankside violence, might think yourself lucky. You're white Anglo Saxon.... life could be much worse.

Sorry mate but that is in YOUR neck of the woods and your Oppoes!! Please do NOT try and paint us all with the same brush.

My objection to this plan would spending money which is supposedly NOT available?? And then on a specific community. It is NOT the job of the EA to specifically EXCLUDE any part of society!! But moreso if money IS avaiable then aportion it for use by ALL of the community all over the country. But FIRST and foremost lets sort out the rivers and waters we do have otherwise there will be NO fishing for anyone Black, yellow, brown or white!! Is that succinct enough?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest Brumagem Phil
You show me who does such a scheme exclusively for white kids Phil.

I think you should grow up and stop being so petty minded actually.

The reason they are being SPECIFICALLY targeted is because they are a minority group, just as we have drives to promote fishing for the less abled, or for juvenile offenders etc.........you and those like you are only screaming now because the group being targetted now are from ethnic groups.

Let me ask you one SIMPLE question........if the EA had said it intended spending a few quid promoting angling to the less abled or to disadvantaged youngsters, do you think this thread would exist? If your answer in NO then clearly the ONLY reason for this threads existence is for some members to have their usual gripe on race grounds.

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Please do NOT try and paint us all with the same brush.

'All' was not a word that I used or implied Chris. It doesnt take more than a minority to spoil it for others as we've seen from time to time on this forum.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I think you should grow up and stop being so petty minded actually.

The reason they are being SPECIFICALLY targeted is because they are a minority group, just as we have drives to promote fishing for the less abled, or for juvenile offenders etc.........you and those like you are only screaming now because the group being targetted now are from ethnic groups.

So woman #1 is white british, woman #2 is asian, they both live in the same street nextdoor to each other. All we are saying is why should woman #2 be given preferential treatment?

I'm being branded racist/bigoted for wanting equality and you are backing the promotion of a division based on nationality.

I'm all for promoting angling aimed at the less abled or juvenile offenders, but all of them not just a certain segment based on their religeon or colour of their skin.

It really is a case of :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: with the pc munchkins.

Edited by *Ant*

Sea fished last Saturday at Gillingham. On one side was a young lad of about 14 / 15 of Indian origin. Mad on fishing though a little uncertian on what he should be doing. Several people helped him out, gave him bits of rigs, showed him what to do. He soon caught a small Bass and I showed him how to unhook it gently and set it free. His smile was as wide as the Medway.

A little later an Asian chap showed up with his 7 year old son. This guy, mid 40's had fished all his life ( Keston Ponds for Tench etc ) wanted his son to learn about his passion. They enjoyed their time, catching a few small bit's ( Pouting etc ) which were all retuned. It was a delight and I though to myself at the time how good it was to see everyone getting on and enjoying a common intrest. Angling crosses all bounderys and classes. . . enjoy.

Andrew Boyd

Guest Brumagem Phil
So woman #1 is white british, woman #2 is asian, they both live in the same street nextdoor to each other. All we are saying is why should woman #2 be given preferential treatment?

The fact you say 'white british' but neglect to say 'asian british' reveals all I need to know.

The fact you say 'white british' but neglect to say 'asian british' reveals all I need to know.

The reason for "white british" is to establish, as Mr. Mathew has pointed out, that immigrant minorities can be "white".

As I say.......... :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Folks really should look up the definition of "racism" before hitting that keyboard. :headhurt:

Guest Brumagem Phil
The reason for "white british" is to establish, as Mr. Mathew has pointed out, that immigrant minorities can be "white".

.....actually freud would suggest you only consider whites to be british hence your distinction of both colour AND nationality in your remarks........I wouldnt be so bold as to suggest such a thing of course :)