Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

And again your PROOF!!! this is a "Personal account" NOT proof!! Sorry I do not wish to antagonise you one whit!! But you are not providing ANY PROOF! And you made a statement!!

This is perceived!! and only that!! I once saw a PIKE angler stab a small jack through the head weith a bankstick!! It was "Bothereing him!" Is that PROOF that ALL pike anglers are barbarians??? NO I think not!!

Sorry Chris, but your request seems little short of ridiculous. How could I possibly provide proof of instances I've witnessed in the past? Alongside my contention there are plenty of examples of anecdotal evidence from other anglers to reinforce my point. I'm afraid I, and many others, feel it's the truth, whether it's palatable or not! And of course it isn't the case that all match anglers are guilty of poor practises, nobody has said as much.

Further than that I refuse to be drawn into a lengthy criticism of another branch of the sport, when that clearly wasn't the intention when making my comments. In fact I was in all honesty citing the point purely to illustrate Bob's blatant double standards. In other words I was hilighting the very real concern some anglers have about the notion of combining fishing with gambling, in order to underline just how far from 'conservation' this aspect of the sport can be to another angler. About as far from it as an angler who enjoys the odd fish supper IMO! It isn't something that bothers me as an individual, I'm happy to agree that the less acceptable side of match angling is for the most part confined to a few ill educated anglers. In the same way, neither does the act of another angler taking a fish for the table bother me. Hopefully the fact that I take a few fish for bait won't bother another angler, and so it goes on.

You simply cannot (as it appears to me that Bob wishes to) expect angling to be carried out under the rules that you as an individual feel are appropriate. In my opinion the use of the term conservation is highly innapproriate. In respect of fish, we are none of us true conservationists but rather 'conservatives' in our approaches to catch-and-release angling. My point was simply that many, myself included, would consider the process of match angling to be something of a greenhouse when it comes to it's supporters throwing the stones of 'conservation' at other types of angling.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Leon, A lot of assumptions in there, re fish and pain, that I don't agree with, but I think my fears concerning bans are are shown there quite clearly.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest tigger

Personally I wouldn't eat course fish as I can't think of a waters I would feel was clean enought to eat one from.

I think if a trend towards eating them started then there would soon be a lack of fish to go round.

I'f someones desperate to eat one then ok go ahead, if they're prepared to eat one from this countries mucky waterways :yucky:

Tigger.

I really find it amazing that we are even discussing the eating of our course fish, these guys are joking really arnt they?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

My point was simply that many, myself included, would consider the process of match angling to be something of a greenhouse when it comes to it's supporters throwing the stones of 'conservation' at other types of angling.

Well said that man.

I really find it amazing that we are even discussing the eating of our course fish, these guys are joking really arnt they?

Nope! Perch taste pretty good!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

i find it amazing, the hypocracy, that surrounds some of the arguments on this subject.

its ok to use fish as livebaits, and maybe kill a few for that reason, in a session.

but its not ok for someone to take an occasional fish home to eat.

why is it that someone can be perhaps spinning in a small river... catch on one cast a small trout, take that home if he wishes,without comment from anybody. next cast a small perch... and have to return it for fear of the "fish police". is it just customs? or is it that some people have a higher regard for some fish species over others?

(please dont anybody reply that a trout is a "game" fish..a fish is a fish as far as im concerned)

cheers dave. :)

i find it amazing, the hypocracy, that surrounds some of the arguments on this subject.

its ok to use fish as livebaits, and maybe kill a few for that reason, in a session.

but its not ok for someone to take an occasional fish home to eat.

why is it that someone can be perhaps spinning in a small river... catch on one cast a small trout, take that home if he wishes,without comment from anybody. next cast a small perch... and have to return it for fear of the "fish police". is it just customs? or is it that some people have a higher regard for some fish species over others?

(please dont anybody reply that a trout is a "game" fish..a fish is a fish as far as im concerned)

cheers dave. :)

My sentiments in a nutshell amigo.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

By ukunwolf.

you heard??? has no one here had perch? they are lovely, one little problem... they are a very boney fish but well worth the hassle! however it would have to be at least 2lb IMO

Whats that, Scotch mist NickintheNorth?

Its a sad day when one realises that the majority of vocal posters on a forum are advertising the killing of fine coarse fish and many of those viewing that disagree, haven't got the balls to mix it up a bit.

I don't enter a debate as important as this to exchage pleasantries with those irresponsible enough to promote the topic, I come on here to add a little balance and hopefully sway the younger generation of anglers viewing that if we all followed their poor example we'd be screwed.

What would be the result if ALL coarse anglers accepted that 'keeping a few' is ok? and many of them found perch for instance tasted fantastic. I'm just glad for once that the majority on here represents the minority out there.

Used livebaits do live if they have been looked after, a friend of mine had 3 swiped from his livebait bucket only to find them in a tank at his girlfriends house. She still has them all, complete with small scars to the upper lips.

Slodger what has;

"In other words I was hilighting the very real concern some anglers have about the notion of combining fishing with gambling"

Got to do with killing specimen fish for the table?

You and several others constantly (despite your limp denials) have it in for match anglers, and you use every opportunity to stick the boot in, well I have got news for you ....MATCH ANGLERS DO NOT KILL FISH FOR THE POT....and that is what this thread is all about, why don't you start another topic entitled;

I HATE AND DETEST MATCH ANGLERS, DO YOU?

I reckon you could be on a winner there mate, at least 200 replies guaranteed. :rtfm:

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Some fish are recognised at good eating fish, such as trout, salmon, eels, etc. Howver, I find the thought of eating any other freshwater species a bit like the thought of eating next doors cat, ie, probably edible, but why the f*** do it?

As has been said before, in this day and age there is no need for anyone to eat these fish through hunger, and from what I gather, they aren't the best eating fish in the world.

Does anyone using this forum eat hedgehogs or squirrels?

Course fish ain't vermin, squirrels are however, & you really should try a plump nut filled tree rat come autumn - they're delicious! ;)