ACCIDENTS AT SEA

big_cod

Binatone! - atre you saying that big cod's boat is not suitable for carrying passengers.......well the authorities that pass a vessell fit to carry passengers must not think that or he wouldn't be able to take anglers would he. Also let me say this, I have sailed omn ships bigger than your small trawler that you slogg your guts out on and I can tell you this size does not mean stability!!!

Binatone! - atre you saying that big cod's boat is not suitable for carrying passengers.......well the authorities that pass a vessell fit to carry passengers must not think that or he wouldn't be able to take anglers would he. Also let me say this, I have sailed omn ships bigger than your small trawler that you slogg your guts out on and I can tell you this size does not mean stability!!!

Binatone, why are you telling big Cod to get a new boat and that he should get a boat suitable for anglers, I think you will find that the class of BID COD's boat is being built everyday for charter skippers around the globe, and as paul said there have been lifeboats built with the same hull of that of pauls boat, so wind your neck in Binatone....it is you that does not know the facts this time Binatone...same old, same old

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If slips trips and falls does become a legal issue for skippers and anglers at sea Then maybe the MCA can add something to the requirements laid down in the code of practice booklets. If every one has to have the same system of warning signs and safety inductions there may even a reduction in insurance premiums?

Snaping and snarling,bitching and biteing wont sort it out If it comes to it the law will do that. and that will do no one but the legal people any good

Edited by slackline

Your about 10 years to late. We have to do a sea survival course.

Tell me how you get in a boat with a full pair of waders on. Licensed vessells have to carry a boarding ladder as part of their safety equipment but that wouldn't help the guys with private boats.

Then following your sea survival course you will be aware that the biggest immediate threat to life on falling overboard is "cold shock" particularly in the seas around Scotland. The best preventative of cold shock is insulation, cant get much better than neoprene chesties :)

The next most likely thing after cold shock is drowning, but of course, in a small boat offshore you would be wearing a lifejacket.

As for getting back into the boat, I agree it's not likely to be easy, but it's certainly not impossible. With a low freeboard you can manhandle, and in a boat with a high freeboard you really ought to have some method of getting back onboard. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the owners of private boats to give the matter some thought. As someone who trains the crews of standby vessels as well as merchant seamen and fishermen I do have some idea of what is possible. I've tried it in the pool and it's not that difficult to shed neoprene chest waders in the water. Of course, to do that you need to be conscious and breathing :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

please read what i put again before you embarise yourself even more.

"The man (corydoras) was in the merchant navy for nine years, I suppose his ground moved a bit in it’s time and therefore will have witnessed a few accidents and there corresponding investigations.

If your anglers cannot stand up with the slightest movement of the boat, then why don’t you provide them seats? Or still get a boat that is more suitable for carrying anglers and therefore reducing the possibility of accidents. This is what the MAIB will recommend if you do not take practical steps first big cod.

Signs on your boat warning anglers that there will be sudden and unpredictable movement of the boat.

An induction of some kind when they first get on board.

Why not ask MAIB for advice, these things are cheaply done and at the end of the day it may not help the man with bad sea legs from falling over, but it will help you when it

/if it ever came to you explaining what measures (that’s reasonably practical) you have put in place to try and prevent such an incident."

Hello German bite, glad to see you could join us again.

Good old winter crawls from under his pimpernel disguise only to be followed by the shields fathom.

Sprag will be along shortly, I cannot Waite. You know it will all end in tears again winter.

Have you dug any holes in your garden lately crock? That one went down a treat don’t you think.

As for you calling me John big cod? You’re a diamond. People try to give you some simple advice; you take it completely the wrong way.

You’re not helped by the endless amount of misguided advice and you end up clutching on to the only thing you know how, that’s by trying to discredit the ones who really mean you no harm.

Signs on your boat ,sign disclaimers, these mean nothing in a court of law .

What i am saying here binitone is that this could happen on your vessel lets just hope the flood gates are/ nt about to open.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone

Wtr2.

When have I ever said that big cod should get a new boat?

Where do you people come from? Can you read?

I like big cods boat think it has nice lines and must manoeuvre well.

I know that they build lifeboat hulls on the same lines. But unfortunately they don’t build lifeboats for the safety and comfort of paying passengers.

Big cod.

Let me assure you that the last thing in the world I would ever want is an angling boat.

Why you keep accusing me of having one is beyond me.

You obviously have a problem with listening to people. As for the flood gates opening? Well you believe what you want, I have tried to give you a bit of advice, you’re not prepared to listen, and that’s up to you. Good luck to you with your problem.

Slack line.

I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations. Please trust me slack line I can be cheerful, I can be amiable, agreeable, affable and that’s just the A, s. just don’t ask me to be nice slack line. Nice has nothing to do with me. You take care now.

Glenk.

You say “you made the 5 30 bridge then”? Have been studying this piece of acute and breathtaking English of yours now for hours. Must say that you’re again proving to me that modern day literature is much more complex than one is first lead to believe.

I do understand glenk that the point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seam worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it.

I Waite with baited breath glenk for the rest of your bridge opening philosophy.

Edited by binatone

Guest binatone
A trawlerman with a degree in Philosophy, a masters in English and a docterate in Bull****. Your wasted on that big lump of rotting wood awd lad/lass, wasted.

And what lump of rotting wood would that be then?

Is this more hidden philosophy on the subject in hand? Or do you intend to slow this debate down by constantly ridiculing the person rather than having any input on the subject. What’s your thoughts glenk? If somebody was to fall down some stares because they where steep. And there was no prior notice or sign warning that person of those steep stares would they have a case for compensation? Now if there where signs pointing out the hazard (steep stairs) encouraging the said person to show caution when going up or down the stares. The person ignores all the warnings and ends up hurting himself on the same stares that hundreds of people use every year without incident.

Now in a court of law the owner of the stares might not get off Scot free because he could of replaced the stares with some not as steep. But in his mind this would not of been reasonably practical and there for tried to solve the problem of the steep stares in a reasonably practical way.

I would like some more input here as I believe this is a very interesting subject and one that could (in the present climate) be beneficial to many and help big cod overcome his problem.

And what lump of rotting wood would that be then?

Is this more hidden philosophy on the subject in hand? Or do you intend to slow this debate down by constantly ridiculing the person rather than having any input on the subject. What’s your thoughts glenk? If somebody was to fall down some stares because they where steep. And there was no prior notice or sign warning that person of those steep stares would they have a case for compensation? Now if there where signs pointing out the hazard (steep stairs) encouraging the said person to show caution when going up or down the stares. The person ignores all the warnings and ends up hurting himself on the same stares that hundreds of people use every year without incident.

Now in a court of law the owner of the stares might not get off Scot free because he could of replaced the stares with some not as steep. But in his mind this would not of been reasonably practical and there for tried to solve the problem of the steep stares in a reasonably practical way.

I would like some more input here as I believe this is a very interesting subject and one that could (in the present climate) be beneficial to many and help big cod overcome his problem.

BINATONE YOU SAY YOU ARE A MAN SOUND WITH THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, WELL WHY DO YOU SPELL STAIRS INCOORECT ALL THE TIME BY SPELLING 'STARES'. ONE FOR THE BOOK I THINK!!

BINATONE YOU SAY YOU ARE A MAN SOUND WITH THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, WELL WHY DO YOU SPELL STAIRS INCOORECT ALL THE TIME BY SPELLING 'STARES'. ONE FOR THE BOOK I THINK!!

Probably for the same reason that you spell incorrect incorrectly :P

Pots and kettles I think :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/