Centrepin reel.

Guest tigger

Guest tigger

I have used a few makes of Centrepin reel over the past few weeks including, Adcock Stantons, Youngs Purist, Grice and Young, and a Richard Carter Aerial Gem. I found the Richard Carter to be my favourite with the Stanton a close second, then the Grice and Young with the Youngs Purist my least favourite.

The handles on the Purist where a nuisance being so close to the rim and were catching on my fingers making trotting line out very awkward.

Has anyone else got a preferred pin and why?

Tigger.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used a few makes of Centrepin reel over the past few weeks including, Adcock Stantons, Youngs Purist, Grice and Young, and a Richard Carter Aerial Gem. I found the Richard Carter to be my favourite with the Stanton a close second, then the Grice and Young with the Youngs Purist my least favourite.

The handles on the Purist where a nuisance being so close to the rim and were catching on my fingers making trotting line out very awkward.

Has anyone else got a preferred pin and why?

Tigger.

Aventa Pro. Good cheap workhorse of a reel without the Youngs hype (and price) Spins for ever.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Aventa Pro. Good cheap workhorse of a reel without the Youngs hype (and price) Spins for ever.

Aventa Pro for me as well and I agreed with you there Argyll

Edited by Andrew Burgess

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Youngs Bob Roberts Lightweight.....not least 'cos I can look down my nose at all those Chav Aventa users....... :P

One day I'll own a Witcher too.

Paul

Its a pair of Speedia's for me, no other reason than that's what I bought after reading advice on this forum and others. Haven't used them as much as I expected to, and sometimes I get the line wound around the handles but that's probably 'cos I'm kack handed and clumsy.

In truth I did very little river fishing last year and even less trotting, maybe this year will be a pin year.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as I've been meaning to procure one for eons.

A mate has lent me an Allcocks Aerial to use a couple of times, and, safe in the knowledge that he won't be looking in here, I've got to say, 'What a piece of tat!' I'm not sure if his is 'off' in some way, but I've had nightmares using it with fine line in windy conditions. It's a birds nest waiting to happen! I pride myself on being fairly competent at the actual mechanics of fishing, and with a wide range of tackle, but this 'famous' piece of kit was a complete let down. :(

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Youngs Bob Roberts Lightweight.....not least 'cos I can look down my nose at all those Chav Aventa users.......

oi less of the p!ss taking just because my user name is `chav'ender and i own two aventa's :P and i thought it was bob james lightweight (which have a terrable habit of bending the rear lattice work if heavily handed) they're still just a two bearing reel like the aventa's (which use top quality german bearings) and cost three times less,but it is nice to see someone take pride in their masterline products instead of being a tackle tart. :P:yeah:

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I don't understand this "it spins for ever" thing. I've used centre pins most of my life, and found that the ones that spin forever are the ones most likely to cause birds nests.

I beg to differ on the Allcocks, I've not tried the newer centre pins, but I have had no trouble with my Match Aerial, except in strong down stream winds, and that's a problem with any centre pin.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John