PBs

Anderoo

Having broken my perch pb at Wingham (twice!) my thoughts have turned to which others I have a decent chance of breaking this coming season. I reckon I'm overdue a carp pb (22lb), but I never really put enough effort into that one...maybe this year will be different. Perch (3lb 5oz) and tench (8lb 4oz) are pretty safe, as is roach (2lb 1.5oz). Although I catch a lot of pike, my pb's been stuck at 18lb for years and years - that's one I'd dearly love to beat.

I reckon my best chances are:

Chub (4lb 8oz) - easy!

Barbel (5lb 8oz) - easy, hopefully!

Zander (6lb) - if I make a trip back to the fens, easy, surely!

How about you?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon my best chances are:

Chub (4lb 8oz) - easy!

Barbel (5lb 8oz) - easy, hopefully!

Zander (6lb) - if I make a trip back to the fens, easy, surely!

How about you?

Definitely barbel. Only ever caught a handful of these beasties and the biggest was just over 4lb ;) Would love a really good eel too, caught loads but nothing memorable.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I don't really set out on a season thinking about PB's but there are a couple of things that i want to 'improve' on over the next 12 months :-

1. Catch A barbel....any barbel......Have only had a couple on the end of my line , one being an extremely large fish on the Lea at Fishers Green , but have yet to have one grace the bank .

2. A decent Roach - is a 2lb'er too high a target ?

3. I will also be targeting Perch this season . I've never really set out to fish for a single species before , being more of a pleasure angler , but i'm hoping to put some time in on these fella's this year.

4. Enjoy more 'social' sessions with friends and family . I've tended to fish solo in recent years so this is going to be addressed .

And finally....just fish as much as i can !!!

Hi Anderoo,

After seeing your pictures of 3lb+ perch, I must admit I was a bit envious, I am going to have a go at beating my poor perch pb of 1lb. I would like to beat my barbel pb as well, this stands at 6lb but the stretch of river I fish does not hold many bigger than that so it might take some time.

Andy

Come the river season we will have to arrange a couple of Barbel fish ins.One on a "bag up" venue for those who have yet to catch one and one on a big fish venue.Im not the greatest barbel angler on here but could certainly sort some thing for the first option.

For me my big gap is still a 2lb roach so if anyone out there can sort a big roach venue?

In fact Ive just thought of one venue where we could stay the weekend and target both barbel and zeds for those who havnt caught one yet.

Ive had no luck sorting out a catfish venue for a fish/teach in so if anyone else wants to take this one up?

Out of interest despite having fished for specimen fish for a long time my two newest PB's were both caught on AN fish ins!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Jigotai :thumbs: They were amazing fish. I reckon it'll be a long, long time before I see another one that big. Even at Wingham, mine and Wayne's swims were the only ones where they showed up. There are some very nice perch in the Thames near me if you fancy a crack - more towards the autumn though, I think. Speaking of jealousy, I was very envious of all those lovely tench bubbles coming up along that tree line!

Budgie, that's a brilliant idea. I'd love a barbel fish-in, as I'm sure a lot of people on here would. (By the way, I'm the one who was sitting at the back of the trailer on the way to the lure demo - getting a very dead a**e in the process).

A catfish fish-in is another good one. There are a few waters around me where that might be possible. I remember this being mentioned before, maybe that one could be resurrected...?

Perhaps we should start a separate topic and see what can be arranged? :thumbs:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Come the river season we will have to arrange a couple of Barbel fish ins.One on a "bag up" venue for those who have yet to catch one and one on a big fish venue.Im not the greatest barbel angler on here but could certainly sort some thing for the first option.

For me my big gap is still a 2lb roach so if anyone out there can sort a big roach venue?

In fact Ive just thought of one venue where we could stay the weekend and target both barbel and zeds for those who havnt caught one yet.

Ive had no luck sorting out a catfish venue for a fish/teach in so if anyone else wants to take this one up?

Out of interest despite having fished for specimen fish for a long time my two newest PB's were both caught on AN fish ins!

I know of a water or two that might be good for the Catfish one Budgie, both are in the Northwest though.

I was thinking about a Barbel fish in as well, there's a stretch of the Teme that can be rented out to groups for a day. That might be worth investigation as well. River Teme

I'm going to concentrate on beating my Carp PB this summer which stands at 21lb 8oz.

Edited by Rob Ward

PB Chub – 5lb. Pretty safe. I know where to go for an 8lber (I lost one that size from my hand there a couple of years ago and it was the smaller of the pair) but I don’t fancy a return visit just yet.

PB Pike – 25lb. Very safe. I might crack it but I kinda doubt it.

PB Barbel - 8.5lb. Pretty safe. I’m not that bothered with them and won’t be targeting them with baits (I will be targeting them with the fly rod though) unless I turn up and the river has to much colour for lure fishing.

PB Zander – Open. Will be trying to address this one this season.

PB Perch – 2lb. I’d live to crack this one from the Severn but with no signals to feed ‘em up, a 2lb perch is a biggie from the river.

PB Mullet – 2lb. Very doable, even though I only fish for them once or twice a year.

PB Bass – 8.5lb. Like the Mullet. Possible but I only target them occasionally.

PB Barramundi – 18.5lb. Will defiantly be having a crack at actually landing a bigger one instead of having it bust me up or shed the hooks.

PB Mahseer - 27.5lb. Maybe not this year but certainly in the next year, I intend to raise this particular bar quite a bit higher.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I try and get a new PB every season (usually succeed :rolleyes: ) getting increasingly hard though! been after a 3lb grayling for a while - my PB is 2.15. Would like an 8lb tench (currently 7.10). For the past two winters I've been trying for a 4lb perch - aint got one yet though the quest has has pushed my PB upto 3lb 9oz. There are now plenty of 5lb+ chub in the Kennet so although my PB is 6.05 I reckon that's within reach. The ones I'd really like to better are a bit of a stretch namely Crucian (3lb 10oz), Roach (2lb 11oz), Dace (1lb 2oz) and Barbel (12lb 4oz) - won't stop me trying however!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've manged 2 PBs during the "close" season

18.8 Mirror carp

6.02 Bream

I'd really like this year to beat my tench PB of 5:12 and to catch a big perch, in over 20 years of angling I've yet to catch a perch that was worth weighing :(

I'd certainly be up for a barbel - fish-in, both an easy water or somewhere more challenging would be fine with me, I'll probably blank no matter which!

Mat

Mat